17 - Faithful

Staring down at your breakfast, you slightly pushed it away. "I'm not hungry."

The man before you narrowed his eyes. "Hm?" He pushed the plate back to you. "Are you sure?"

You could only bob your head like a puppet, and avoiding his sharp gaze. "Yes. I'm sure." Pushing the barrier of a chair back, you stood. "I'll be on my way, then."

He immediately frowned. "Stay until I finish my breakfast."

Akira's voice cold as steel, you found yourself slowly sinking back into your chair. "Marriage isn't on my agenda." You informed him, still unable to raise your gaze. 

Akira suddenly stops drinking. "I'm afraid you don't have a choice, darling." He chuckled. You grimaced at his disgusting tone.

It was like bravery entered the room and your mind. You stood, the screech of the chair emitting a cringe from him. 

"I'll be in the garden."

___

You sat on the cold, stone bench facing the colorful roses; the livelihood and brilliant penumbra of the flowers contrasted against your dark mood. 

The bright blue sky just continued drifting with the clouds. You faintly remembered how Plume said she really liked to sit back and watch the clouds move on. 

"Why are you worrying about other men, (Y/N)?" Akira stood behind you with a frozen rigid smile. 

"Plume isn't a man." 

As you step to leave and avoid him, he grabs your arm. "Stop avoiding me like this." 

His grip on your arm tightened as he spoke. You glare at him. "You're hurting my arm."

"And you're hurting me. I said--"

"I know what you said. And now, if you will excuse me, I'll be on my way."

He released his clamp, and gave a snort. Another type of a smile crept onto his lips. "I can always forward the wedding date."

You turned around to argue, but the man full of disdain was already no where to be found.

___

You relaxed under the comfortable and well-guarded feeling of the bed, knowing it was most likely the only comfortable thing in this house. 

Almost an inaudible knock came. 

"Come in." You call out, watching a nervous maid step into the room, fidgeting. Concluding that their boss's intimidating ways scared them, they grew to be timid people. 

She stood awkwardly as she closed the door. Her eyes were shining and bright. She had light brown hair, which fell short to her waist, and a fair complexion.

You manage a smile, watching her relax her tense shoulders. But that did not relax her tense nature. 

"M-m-miss, how are you today?" She stuttered as she bustled about, cleaning the room.

Turning to face her, you smile. "I could be better, thank you. How are you?" Her face turned ever so red as she realized you spoke to her.

"I-I've been very good--!"

You give her a relaxed smile. "That's good."

After a moment, she quietly whispered, "are you really doing well, Miss?"

Even that question could be regarded as a bold statement. And the bold statement took you back. You could only raise your eyebrows, surprised. 

"Miss-"

"Please just call me (Y/N)."

"I couldn't. I'm sorry, Miss." She thought for a moment. "I can call you Miss (Y/N)." Hesitation hung in the air as if she wasn't sure she was doing the correct thing. 

You nod and smile your approval. 

"Will you tell me about yourself? It does get boring here." 

She picks up the scattered clothing on the floors. "W-well, my name is Lizabeth..."

Lizabeth spoke about her family, her unlucky wealth, and how she managed to land here. She had a lovely spirit and a heart carved from gold.

Over time, she grew more relaxed than how she was when she first appeared. 

For the first time since you arrived, you began to cheer up.

The next few days consisted of helping Lizabeth with her work, and talking to her whenever she had the chance.

Lizabeth was really an energetic girl who loved elegant things. She was really a fun girl once you got past her shy barrier.

"Miss (Y/N)!" She chased after you as you ran around your large bedroom, sweeping everywhere with her giant broom.

You giggle, watching her puff for breath.

She persistently pleaded a look at you, while she runs about, trying to grab her cleaning instrument back.

"Okay, okay, here!" You hand it over, after sweeping the floor one last time. "Thank you." She sighs, and tiredly looks at you.

Even till this day, you would never remember why you wanted to ask her or what brought you to. "Do you know magic?" 

She doesn't answer immediately, and pretends to be immersed in sweeping. You would leave from your spot, though, and she finally sighed and looked up at you. 

"My magic's only purpose is to protect you."