12 - Progress

A Month Later..

Waking up, you felt an unfamiliar sensation. The feeling of cold bed sheets next to you. No body warmth detected. Natsu, gone.

You bolted up-right, and looked around the room. You spotted the pink-haired boy sleeping on the couch.

Sighing, you dragged yourself out of bed, carrying your covers with you. "Just because you rejected me doesn't mean anything has to change," you mumble, still half-asleep.

You throw yourself on the empty space next to Natsu. Snuggling next to him, you pull the heavy blanket up.

___

"(Y/N)...(Y/N)...!"

With a jolt, your eyes open. Tiredly, you sit up. "What?" You mumble, blinking your eyes. "Natsu?" You look up at him.

He looked at you. "What are you doing? You could've gotten a cold.." He sighs, as he rubs his temples.

"You're the one who looked like a popsicle!" You protest, flinging the covers back. Taking a deep breath, you bravely take a step out of the warm couch.

"You're cold." He shakes as he tries to keep his laughter in.

"Am not!"

"Your legs are shaking." He bursts into snickers, as he drapes the covers around you. "Good to know..." You mutter, dragging yourself into the kitchen.

He follows you into the kitchen. "Um, listen...today I'm going out with Lucy around town, so I won't be here for lunch. Okay?"

You grip the kitchen counter. An awkward silence settled over the two of you. You look out the window, gritting your teeth.

"Okay, have fun."

You finally managed to respond. Your hands were shaking, as you grabbed a plate from the cupboards.

Silently, you set the plate down, not wanting to suddenly drop it. Turning back to Natsu, you force a smile.

"Anything you want me to help with?"

He shook his head. "Nah, me and Lucy are just going around town, wandering, looking around, and eating." He smiled, nodding enthusiastically.

You purse your lips. Lucy. It was always about Lucy. Lucy this, Lucy that...Lucy's name being called by Natsu.

"Well...bye, (Y/N)." Natsu breaks the silence, and you hear the sound of a door opening, and closing a few moments later.

Plume wanders into the room. "Natsu's going out with Lucy again, huh?" She flies in-front of you, her eyes wandering over to yours.

"Plu..me..." You quietly murmur her name. "What should I do...what can I do? I can't compete with Lucy."

She's silent for a while before she states her answer. "How many months do you have left, (Y/N)?" Plume helps you up, her nervous energy clear to you.

"...about 4 months." You nervously look her in the eye. "You haven't told him yet?" She sighs, "you should let him know."

You laugh bitterly. "What good would it do? I don't want them to be involved in this. I don't want them to get hurt by my own mother. They can't do anything about this."

Plume's eyes crinkle with her smile. "In a way, they've raised you well. Don't forget that I'll always be proud of you." She hugs you tightly, her warm little body comforting you.

___

"You're an idiot. You really think this will work?" Plume asked as she critically watched you prepare the meal. "I shouldn't even be letting you near this. And now, you've done it."

"Wasting Jewels on flashier clothing and a new hairstyle. Really. You're an absolute idiot. I take it back, I'm not even proud of you." 

You ignored her as you twirled around in your new outfit. The door creaked open, and you settled down. 

Natsu grinned from the doorway, and took a big whiff. "It smells nice, (Y/N)."

His gaze suddenly drops to you. His eyes widen. "Do you own something like that?"

You shrug, "who knows?"

"Actually, (Y/N)..I have something to tell you." He looks at you, troubled. You look at him, panicked. "What..is it, Natsu?"

He stares at you, seriously. Then, he says, "I think I'm allergic to you."

'What the...'

You crane your neck over to him. "Are you crazy?"

He doesn't stop to answer. "I've been feeling dizzy around you. My chest hurts, and my head feels like it's gonna explode."

You felt like your heart would stop. Pointing to his heart, you barely whispered, "this part...it thumps loudly?"

He nods immediately. "What's wrong with me..?" He looks at you, his expression pained. You froze, unaware and tense. 

"I'm kidding."

'What?'

He helps you up, and smirks at you. After a moment of silence, he playfully smiles at you. "I'm not as clueless about love as you think, (Y/N)."