8 - Clueless

You refused to meet his eyes.

You suddenly became very interested in the speck on your bed. "(Y/N)." Natsu finally breaks the silence.

"Are you okay?"

You wanted to cry and shout in annoyance. 'How can someone be this thick?!'

Shaking your head, you said, "everything's fine." 

"Good." He grins, satisfied. He then asks in a concerned manner, "What happened? You left without a warning, and we got worried sick!"

You shake your head. "Sorry, something urgent with my friend came up." You could just make another small lie about visiting your grandmother or something.

Easy. 

"(Y/N)?" Plume enters the room, her arms crossed, and her eyes narrowed. "Where..?" She starts, but notices the panic-stricken look on your face.

She shoots you a look saying, 'We'll speak later.'

You almost sigh in relief. Turning your attention back to Natsu, with a closer look, you realize he had dark circles under his eyes.

____

You take a seat next to Gray. You were at Fairy Tail, and Natsu had left on another job with Lucy. Again. Just her name reminded you of the soulmate problem.

"Oi. Don't look so sad all the time." Gray pinches your cheek, stretching them. "Stoooop." You pull away from him, laughing.

Juvia's stare was not missed. "(Y/N)!" Erza immediately walks up to you, a slight smile on her face.

"Are you alright..?" Her eyes widen and her smile disappears when she notices your bandages. "Yeah, I'll be fine." You dismiss the thought with a wave of your hand.

You pick up the glass of water Mirajane had set down.

"So. How are things going with Natsu?" Her eyebrows shoot up, and she smirks suggestively at you. "What?" You almost choke on your water.

"Rumor has it, you've...done...things together." Juvia suddenly pops up behind Erza, twiddling her thumbs together nervously.

"Is that a question?" You ask her, disbelief on your face. "So it's true?" Levy comes up to your face, eagerly awaiting news.

You look at her and shake your head. When was this such a rumor?

Throwing back her head, Plume's twinkling laugh was heard. You shoot her a dirty look as she blows a kiss your way.

"Awh..." They groaned, "I think you should join us. We're going around town. Wanna come?"

You shake your head again, as last night's events ran through your head. "Nah, I'm okay. Thanks, though."

They left, after talking with you for a little bit more. "Hey, (Y/N)." Gray waved his hand in front of your face.

"What?"

"Natsu's back."

You immediately perk up at his name. "Honestly. You're too easy to read..." Gray lazily drawls, poking your head.

You tiredly sag back in your seat, realizing Gray had pranked you. "Shut it, you freaking..." A frown appears on your face. 

"If you're so eager to see him back, why don't we just go and meet them?"

Your face lights up again. "We can?"

"Zip jewels are included. You're bored right?"

You bob your head up and down, enthusiastically.

Plume sets her paw on your shoulder. "It could be dangerous." She warns with a smile, already knowing your answer.

You just beam at her. "Well, I'm not going." Plume announces, settling back into Mirajane's arms, who smiles at her.

"C'mon, slowpoke." Gray starts dragging you away, as you wave to Plume and Mirajane.

___

You immediately spots Natsu, Happy, and Lucy, who looked like they were having more fun than trouble.

They were on the beach, in their swimsuits. Splashing, playing, laughing.

Your jaw hardens, as you gaze at them, longingly. "You want to do something cool?" Gray asks, from behind you.

You immediately nod, but don't turn back to look at him. "Good, I packed your swimsuit."

You turn back at him, your eyes wide. "Where did you get my swimsuit?" You hiss, as he throws something at you.

The thing in your hand wasn't your swimsuit. It was a bikini. One you didn't own. It was black with white waves; the bottom skirt part dyed pure white like salt and sugar. 

"You bought me a swimsuit?"

"Yup." Gray smirks, knowingly. He already stripped down to his swimsuit.

"Don't peek." You warn him, as you disappear in the fat tree's branches, completely shrouded and hidden from his view.

After a while, he replies, "okay."

You carefully jump down, eager to not hurt yourself. The swimsuit stretched on you, but it wasn't as if Gray knew your exact size. 

"C'mon." Gray grabs your hand, pulling you put to the open where Natsu, Lucy, and Happy were playing.

"Uwa, Gray!" You squeal, feeling his cold hands now wrapped around your waist. "What. Are. You. Doing." You hiss in his ear, so Natsu and Lucy wouldn't hear.

He only grins, and waves to Natsu and Lucy. "Oh, what are you doing here, you two?"

Lucy waves, while Natsu just narrows his eyes.

Gray's arm was around your waist, forcing you to go with him towards Lucy and Natsu. "Just follow my lead." 

You squirm, uncomfortably. "Hello..." You weakly smile.

Lucy suddenly seemed very happy. "Hey, (Y/N), Gray." She elbows Natsu, who had his arms crossed. "Hey-" He offers. 

Happy grins. "(Y/N)!"

"What are you doing here?" Lucy asks.

"Uh-"

"We're on a date." Gray quickly starts, interrupting you. You swivel your head to him, sharply. "Date? What date??" You whisper in his ear.

"Just copy me. I've got a plan," he whispered back. 

"Oh geez, are you feeling uncomfortable, (Y/N)?" Gray smirks, and touches his forehead to yours. You stiffen and glare at him.

'I don't like this plan- even though it's not a bad one.'

"(Y/N)...is it true? Are you really...?" Natsu's hand comes between you and Gray, as he struggles to say his words.

You open your mouth, but Gray steps in again. "Yeah. You got a problem with that?" Lucy awkwardly smiles. "Guys, can't we just all get along..?"

Natsu ignored her, and glared at Gray. "You bastard."

"What'd I do?" Gray smirks, stepping forward.

Natsu began to say something, but decided not to, and just said. "Congratulations, I guess." 

This time, you couldn't even feel sad but anger towards him. Frustration; limited patience. It was expected that he would only see you as a teammate. 

You plaster a smile on your face, feeling a tear forming. "We have to go." Gray quickly excused the two of you, and began leading you away.

"You okay?" Gray whispers down at you.

"No. I'm tired of getting my heart broken a million times." You rub your eyes, heart aching, a displeased look on your face.