Two Weeks And Counting

A grin stretched your cheeks as you read today's note.

I waz going to propose gud, but I waz 2 nervous. There wood have been flowerz and everything! But...I'm just so glad we can be together forever.

"My god, Natsu." You laugh. "I can barely read and understand what you wrote!"

Plume hovers over your shoulder. "I thought Erza taught him?"

"I guess not." You grin, folding the little note back up and placed it in a jar where all the other notes were.

"You're keeping them?" Plume asks, chopping up some strawberries.

"Yeah. Of course." You replied, popping one of Plume's freshly cut strawberries into your mouth.

"Oi, hands off." She reached for a spoon to smack your hand with. "Wa, Sensei- spare me!" You jokingly said, carrying the jar back to your room.

___That Night___

"Look, Lucas." You handed the small child a marker. "Daddy's coming home in a few weeks."

"Mommy, where's Daddy?"

"He's playing at his friend's house. Remember?" You gently ask, watching Lucas take off the pen cap and cross off another day on the calendar.

"Oh yeah!" Lucas said, plopping down on the bed. "Hey, hey Mama?"

"Yeah?" You absentmindedly pet Lucas on the head.

"I met a boy named...Kaito and a girl named..."

He scrunched up his face as he tried to remember. He plopped face down on a pillow.

"Lucas forgot." He muttered, raising his head. "But we had so much fun!! Lucas was playing house with them." He energetically said.

"That's cool, Lucas. Do they live close?" You smiled.

Lucas looked up, puzzled. "But Mama...Kaito lives next to us and the girl lives upstairs."

You grinned. "I don't know everyone that lives here, Lucas."

Lucas made a confused face. "That's silly! You don't know everyone in your own house?"

'Oh boy. This is going to take a little time.'

___

You woke up, eyesight blurred. "Lucas?" You softly ask, turning to look. The little boy curled in a ball, sleeping soundly.

Just as you turned to get up, you noticed a glint of something he held against his chest. You used your finger to prop it out.

'A marker?'

It was the same marker you and Lucas used to mark off the days until Natsu coming home.

You, touched, left the marker in Lucas's tight grasp. "Daddy.." He murmured, kicking in his sleep.

"I'm...a...ll...f..ired up...." He muttered softly. You turn back as you slipped your sweatshirt and shorts.

"C'mon, why can't you be more like me?" You chuckle and kiss his forehead before walking into the bathroom to tidy up.

You heard a crash as you brushed your teeth. Rushing out of the bathroom, you found a mess in the bedroom.

The sheets were on the floor, along with the pillows. And in the middle of all the mess, sat a very confused-looking Lucas.

"Lucas...wanna sleep." He teetered sideways, and flopped back in the mess of blankets and sheets.

You almost choked on the toothpaste, and rushed back into the bathroom, only to emerge a few minutes later with fresh breath and neatly combed hair.

"Lucas, you can't sleep here." You sighed, throwing him on the bed, watching him bounce a little from the impact.

You lifted the sheets up on the bed, and waited for Lucas to get off. "You wanna get off so I can make the bed, Lucas?" You asked, watching him wiggle around, looking for something warm.

"Lucas is cold." He announced, burying himself in the covers. His face peered up at you, his large golden eyes twinkling. "Mommy want to sleep with Lucas?" He asked, curiously.

You played with his brown bangs. "Mommy already got out of bed." You explained to him, watching disappointment settle on his face.

"Lucas play with Mama, then!" He said, launching himself at you. You laughed, and swung him around the room, then setting him down in the bathroom.

"Maybe after breakfast." You said, returning to make the bed. Lucas giggled happily, and you soon heard the sound of running water.

As you smoothed down the last lump on the bed, Lucas came running out. "Wanna smell?" He asked, standing on his tippy toes as you leaned down and smelt his breath.

"Okay, you've passed. You can go eat now." You laugh, walking into the kitchen after Lucas.

Plume sat in the living room, watching the TV quietly. "Do you know what you remind me of?" You ask Plume, wincing as the cold tiles touched your feet.

"Hmm?" Plume hummed.

"An old grandma." You said, opening the refrigerator, looking for food. You heard Plume ask, "and why's that?"

"Wait, I guess it's more of a motherly figure?" You bring the tip of your finger to your cheek as you thought, eggs in your other hand.

"Yeah, definitely." You set the eggs on the counter, and poured Lucas a bowl of cereal, and set it in-front of him.

"Spoon?" Lucas prompted, his face happy when you produced one from behind your back. You handed it to him, and he dunked it in the cereal, munching with a smile.

"I feel old enough." Plume said, getting up from the couch and turning off the TV. She flew into the kitchen.

"You're making food?" She asked, a surprised look on her face. You turned around, a spatula in your hand. "Well, yeah."

___

"I can't believe you." Plume said, still laughing.

"I don't want to talk about it." You pouted, turning away from her as she ate her breakfast.

"Who burns eggs?" She grinned, as she bit into a muffin. "Well, at least we get to eat out." She said.

Lucas's hand reached out for a bagel, but you stuffed a pancake bit into his mouth instead.

"Well, excuse me. Lucas spilled the milk, remember?" You jabbed at your strawberries with your fork.

"That's no excuse." Plume said, grinning. "You're the one at fault here." You snapped your head up.

"Excuse me?" You ask, teasingly, attracting the waiter's attention. "Can I get something for the belle fille?" He asked, with a strong French accent.

You looked up, and found yourself looking up at a waiter with brown curls, and two sparkling blue eyes that looked down at you. 'Blue eyes?'

"Ah..." You held up a hand. "Sorry, what was that? I don't speak French." You smile apologetically.

"Then it will be a mystery, ma chérie." He gave a perfect wink. "Oh, sorry, sorry. But can I get you anything?" He asked, flirtatiously.

'I have a feeling he means well but...doesn't know I'm engaged?'

You secretively glance at the ring. "Nono, I'm good." You said, feeling awkward. You took a drink of water, the ring on your hand sparkling.

The waiter noticed, but didn't seem fazed. "Perhaps I can-"

Plume stood up, stretching. "That was a nice meal." She yawned, smiling in a way that seemed to send off 'go away' signals to the waiter.

"Well, if you're sure." The waiter stood up, and grabbed his tray. He gave a playful and small salute with two fingers. "I'll be back, then."

'I...I'm not sure how to deal with people like you. Sorry, Mr. French Waiter.'