39.

the dark mark

Sage sat in the library with Draco as they worked on homework together. Draco glanced up at her "Hey um with tutoring, I don't think I'll take it next year," Draco admitted.

Sage nodded "Okay that's fine, you've gotten way better at transfiguration since fourth year. So it's a good thing," she said. Draco nodded and Sage eyed the black ink she could see on his wrist, Draco hesitantly pulled his sleeve down. Sage just stared "Draco-" she reached across the table for his wrist but he pulled away.

"What?" He questioned, acting like he knew nothing.

Sage stood up and walked to his side of the table "Show me now," she said, "There's no point in hiding it,"

Draco sighed "Okay," he mumbled, pulling up his sleeve which revealed the dark mark. Sage frowned.

"Draco..." she whispered her eyes focused down on his dark mark. The mark was engraved in his skin for the rest of his life. "Why?"

"I didn't have a choice," Draco defended quickly, Sage turned away from him "I'm sorry Sage, I promise I didn't want to get it! I wanted to fight with you during the war not against you,"

"We will fight together," Sage said, turning back towards him.

"What?" Draco questioned.

"I'm getting the mark," Sage said and before Draco could say anything she sat back down "It's been... it's been a plan for a while I think,"

"What, you can't get it!" Draco hissed.

"Dumbledore wanted me to keep an eye on you, I think he knows. This is the only way that I guarantee both of our safety," Sage explained, "You have to understand,"

"I don't have to understand anything!" Draco yelled before getting hushed by Madam Pince, "You can't I refuse it,"

"You aren't my father Draco I'll do what I want," Sage said quickly.

"What you want? You mean what Dumbledore wants?" Draco asked.

"I-" Sage tried to defend herself but couldn't "I'm getting the mark okay? End of story,"

Draco shook his head and gathered her stuff walking off angrily. Sage sighed and laid her head on the table.

After a few minutes she sat up, her chest felt like it was on fire. "Not again," she mumbled and grabbed her stuff, walking off. She shook her hands at her sides. Her breath was shaky and she walked into the third-floor bathroom knowing only Myrtle would be there.

But right when she walked in sweat dripping down her head she saw Seamus and Dean, kissing. "Sage!" Seamus said quickly, pulling away. She knew Ginny and Dean had broken up but it wasn't that long ago.

"What the fuck?" Sage said blankly. Dean bit down on his lip and looked away.

Seamus stood up "Sage are you okay?" Seamus asked quickly, seeing her pale sweaty face.

"Tired," she lied quickly, Seamus just hugged her. Dean hesitantly joined in. The trio was back. After months of them all not being together, it was relieving, relieving Sage that she finally had her best friends back together.

She had calmed down just by the fact of seeing her friends. They all pulled away, "So I guess now you know..." Dean mumbled.

Sage eyed them both "It's official again?" Sage asked.

Seamus took Dean's hand "I think so," he said, looking up at Dean who nodded.

Sage looked at Dean "I'm sorry-" she began to apologize.

"No," Dean interrupted, "I should be the one sorry... to both of you. I messed up and I know that now,"

Sage smiled and hugged him one more time "I think this deserves a Hogsmeade visit, to catch up," Sage suggested and they all agreed.

The Three Broomsticks

Sage, Dean, and Seamus sat around a table, with butterbeers in front of them. "Seamus mentioned you and Draco, are you guys back together?" Dean asked.

Sage nodded, plastering a fake smile on her face. Her mind was still on the argument they had earlier. "Yeah, we are," Sage said, Dean, nodded "Did you visit America last summer?"

Dean nodded "New York again," Dean said, "It was fun though I can admit. Maybe I'll take both of you after we graduate,"

Sage nodded "I would love that," she said.

Seamus smiled "Dean you're doing quidditch now right?" Seamus asked, looking over at Dean.

Dean smiled sheepishly "Yeah I uh chaser," he explained, "Me, Ginny, and Elizabeth,"

"I didn't know Elizabeth liked quidditch always seemed more about her school than anything," Sage said, shrugging "Well I'm glad you made the team,"

"Why'd you quit?" Dean asked.

"I want to focus more on school and my future after we graduate. Being quidditch captain takes up a lot of my time," Sage said, "I turned down the head girl as well for the same reason,"

Seamus sighed "I can't believe graduation is barely a year away," Seamus admitted and the other two went silent.

It was crazy. In a year Sage would be out of Hogwarts, starting Auror training. She would be free from the years at Hogwarts that has caused her to lose people she cared about. Sirius, Cedric, and maybe now Dumbledore. More was to come and she knew it.

The war was coming and everyone knew that. Since Dumbledore might die after that Voldemort would have no weakness. It'd only be months until Hogwarts was taken over and people had to place say where their loyalties would land.

Sage hadn't got a clue. She didn't want to fight against Draco but fighting against Hogwarts... she would lose everyone she knows and loves. She didn't know if it was all worth it.

She just hoped she would make it out alive and maybe be able to defend herself and explain why she got the mark. It amazed her how she went from a young, innocent, sweet girl. To now a possible murdering psychopath.

She was scared for the war and what was to come. She didn't want to die. She didn't want to lose more people. But it's war. She was going to lose people and possibly herself.

She was scared. But she was brave.

A/N: I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Hopefully, stuff will get more interesting soon! But I love you all and hope you have a great day!

A/N:
I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Hopefully, stuff will get more interesting soon! But I love you all and hope you have a great day!