Utterly Yours

Author: lazywonderland

Source: Ao3

Summary:

Liam gets back at Zayn for his late nights as an Auror by flirting with the new Arithmancy professor. Zayn's not usually the jealous type, but he has his moments.

(Originally Drarry)

==================

It didn't matter how many years passed since Zayn got rid of the Dark Lord, or how long it had been since any real Death Eaters were captured and put behind bars — every few years like clockwork some neo-Death Eater faction would pop up and cause trouble until the Ministry put a stop to it, usually with Zayn in charge. He wasn't even Head Auror (although at just twenty-nine years old he was well on his way) but he invariably led those missions. Perhaps because he managed to get it done so efficiently.

It was annoying to Liam not only because his students often liked to press him for details even though he had none, but because they were always Zayn's busiest cases and they usually lost a good chunk of their time together.

Not even two full months into the current school year there had been reports of some dodgy goings-on in Hogsmeade. All this meant to Liam was that students could talk of little else as the investigation proceeded, and that when he Apparated home at the end of the day Zayn was usually still working.

"Professor," said one of the second-year Gryffindors in an afternoon lesson, voice rising above the commotion of the rest of the class who were washing their hands and cleaning their stations. Always the part of the lesson when accidents were most likely to happen, Liam was paying much more attention to overseeing the clean-up than the speaking student.

"What is it, Pepperidge?" he said distractedly. And, sharply, to another student, "Don't touch that with your bare hands unless you fancy a visit to the hospital wing, Miss Smethwyck!"

"Professor," the Gryffindor boy said again, more urgently, "Zayn Malik's outside the greenhouse."

At this, most of the class stopped what they were doing to look, including Liam. He blinked owlishly at Zayn, whose eyebrows had lifted in surprise at all the sudden attention.

"What —?" Liam said ineloquently, frowning now. "All right, everyone, just ... finish putting your things away and you're dismissed. And don't forget to replace the gloves in the box!"

The cleaning-up recommenced but everyone was still stealing curious glances at Zayn, which made it take twice as long as it should have, as well as creating a minor roadblock at the door when people kept stopping to say hi or blatantly ogle him on their way out.

"How a person can be so disruptive," said Liam when the greenhouse was cleared out and Zayn stepped inside.

"I was only standing there!" Zayn argued.

"Which you know perfectly well is disruptive when it's you," said Liam. Zayn opened his mouth to retort but Liam cut him off: "What are you doing here?"

"I came to see you, obviously."

"No," said Liam, rolling his eyes even though he felt very pleased with that answer, "at Hogwarts. I thought you were up to your ears in work."

"Some loony in the village claims they saw a 'suspicious figure' heading up towards the school last night," Zayn said offhandedly, leaning back against one of the workstations and grinning at Liam. "You know, you have dirt on your face."

Scowling, Liam rubbed an arm across his cheek.

"So, what," he said, "you believe them? I thought you said you'd figured out where that group in Hogsmeade was hiding."