Clumsy

Zayn is used to Liam's clumsiness.

In their shared house, his boyfriend already broke ten drinking glasses and the count only includes the times he was in their home. Liam never knew he tracked the number of poor glasses, resting in peace.

And he would not dare tell his boyfriend who just looks to him with round doe eyes and saying sorry repeatedly.

He likes keeping things clean. So, Liam knows he dislikes it when something needs cleaning up.

But everytime, he would just click his tongue playfully and pick up a broom and make sure no shard is left that could potentially hurt him or, worse, his baby.

His baby never fails to replace a broken glass, so the younger thought he barely cares about it.

He is so used to Liam's clumsiness.

So far, Liam has let a spoon fall 22 times and a fork 17 times.

The baby would just form his mouth 'O' and say "Oops" everytime.

Zayn would just chuckle and pick a spoon or fork if his boyfriend is not done with the meal yet.

Zayn is so used to Liam's clumsiness.

The poor small coffee table in their small living room has been beaten up with Liam's knee or leg.

It makes him cringe every damned time his boyfriend would bump the furniture. Sometimes, it is light but there are times when it's bumped hard.

He would lightly laugh if it is a small bump but he would frown when it is a hard, strong one.

"He'll have another bruise," he would think to himself.

Liam would just say, "Ouchiiee!" then laugh the matter off. The younger would just massage the part slightly and go on with what he is doing or where he is supposed to go.

Sometimes, a silly thought such as challenging the table with a fight or scolding it for being too hard on his baby would cross his mind. But that is his funny and stupid thought. He is not as crazy as that.

All he could do is remind Liam for the hundred and eighth time (as of date).

Zayn is used to Liam's clumsiness. He is used to it that he is missing the small noises created when Liam's clumsiness strikes.

Their house has been too quiet, too proper, too clean.

Both of them has been too busy with their own schedules and his boyfriend needs to go home and spend time with his family too. It has been four days since he last saw his boyfriend in flesh.

Although they video call each night, even at times when both of them have droopy eyes from a day's work, it is not enough.

He misses Liam.

Because although his baby is clumsy, borderline annoying him (not because he is annoyed with Liam, but because he is annoyed with the thought that he is not with him at all times when he is so clumsy), he misses the noise, the sudden "Ouchie!" the cute "Oops" and the tiny "Sorry".

He misses counting the broken glass, fallen spoons and forks, and the beaten table.

*****

In the dead of the night, when he was about to succumb to darkness and sleep, he heard the door open, the sound of the steps, a paper cup falling and liquid splattered.

He heard it all.

A sleepy soft smile graced his lips as he turned the lamp on. He turned around.

His heart lept when he saw Liam pouting cutely over the spilled hot tea on the floor. When Liam noticed that he was looking, the younger smiled crookedly, "Oops?"

The familiar feeling returned. Their small space now feels like home and he could not wait to add to the list the 11th glass, the 23rd spoon, the 18th fork, or the 109th time reminder with to be careful with the coffeetable.

He could not wait for the 11th time he would clean the shards, the 23rd time he would pick another spoon, the 18th time he would get another fork and the 109th time he would want to get into a fight with a coffee table.

Yet, he wishes everyday that Liam would be really cautious about things that could potentially cause harm.

He stood up to go to Liam.

His boyfriend beamed and was about to take a step excitedly when he opened a palm that says, 'stop'.

But he might be a little too late, a little bit indirect too, and his boyfriend no longer processed what he meant. Liam ran towards him, so he had no choice and met the younger half way.

Liam, indeed, slipped. But instead of falling, he caught him.

Their chests touched and their warm breathing fanned each other's ear. He has his arms wrapped securely on Liam's body.

He took the chance to embrace his boyfriend. "I missed you so much," he directly said.

Liam giggled cutely. "I caused another mess."

He closed his eyes and bathed himself in the warmth of their tight hug. "I don't mind."

"The tea would have been perfect for a good night's sleep," he can hear the pout in Liam's voice.

He just smiled and carried his boyfriend to the bed.

He thought to himself, "Nothing beats the nights I spend with you." 

He heaved a deep breath and thought to himself yet again. "And I don't care if I have to mop the floor for the sixty-eighth time."