Chapter 45 Castle

Lizzy POV

I was in a deep sleep until a sudden movement from my right woke me up. I opened my eyes and turned to the side and saw Sophia sitting down next to me, playing with a small rock in her hand. I was lying on a thin blanket on the ground next to her. It was not much, but I didn't really mind. I was used to sleeping in even worst stuff than the hard rock floor.

"Huh? Oh, Lizzy, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to wake you up" Sophia said. I shook my head. I sat up and leaned my head against the wall. We were all gathered around a small fire for warmth inside the abandoned castle.

"It's alright" I said. Sophia nodded. I saw her open her mouth to say something but quickly closed it. I looked at her with a confused expression.

"Huh, what's wrong, Sophia?" I asked.

"Well, I was just wondering if you want to sleep more comfortably, then I don't mind you using my shoulder to rest. It's way better than the cold castle floor. I mean, you don't have to. I'm just saying" Sophia said. I chuckled and scooted closer to her and leaned my head against her shoulder.

"I will love that" I said. Sophia smiled, soon joining me, and leaned her head against mine. It was like this for a couple of minutes until someone broke the peaceful silence around us.

"Looks like someone else was here recently" Henning, a male soldier, said.

"That's strange. Given how close we are to the Wall" Nanaba said.

'Maybe it was a group of bandits' I thought, closing my eyes and trying to block the rest of the noises around me to try and sleep. It was silent for a couple of minutes until I heard someone shout.

"Guys, look at this! You'll never believe what I found!" Gelgar shouted. I sighed and opened my eyes and saw Gelgar coming out of a room with a smirk on his face while holding a bottle of alcohol in his hands.

"Gelgar, is that alcohol?" Lynne asked.

"Yeah" Gelgar replied before taking a better look at the bottle and staring at it with a confused expression on his face.

"But what the heck does the label say?" Gelgar said, trying to read what the bottle had written in it, but failed.

"Seriously, don't tell me, you're gonna drink it right now" Lynne scolded.

"Don't be stupid. Not at a time like this" Gelgar said, sitting down. I heard Sophia chuckle from the top of my head.

"What's so funny, Sophia?" I asked.

"The fact that if Alexi... I mean, Alex or Sebastian was here. They would definitely drink that bottle without hesitation" she said, chuckling. I also chuckled.

"Of course, those two do love beer after all" I said.

"Yeah, remember the time that we attacked the military police base and stole a bunch of crates with alcohol?" Sophia asked. I chuckled and nodded.

"I do. Both Alex and Sebastian drank almost the whole thing" I said, chuckling. Sophia chuckled with me. Everyone watched us with strange expressions on their faces, but that only caused us to laugh harder. It was silent for a couple of seconds until Ymir finally broke the silence and asked.

"So, what happened to your village, Connie?" Ymir asked. I saw Sophia stop smiling and a frown formed on her face. I raised an eyebrow in confusion.

"It was destroyed. The Titans trampled every last building" Connie answered. Everyone looked down in sorrow.

"That must have been... " Ymir began but was cut off short by Connie speaking once again.

"But nobody got eaten. So I think they all made it out safely. That's the only upside to this" Connie added.