17

^^(Kiki)

"Who the hell was that?!" Mama dragged me inside the house.

"Since when'd you get a friend?" Megan was in shock.

"Especially a friend that looks like that!" Stephanie exclaimed.

"There better not be in sexual acts that happened between you and her." Mama slapped me.

"She's my friend." I coughed out blood. "That's it."

"That better be everything!"

Mama punched me in the stomach. Megan and Stephanie helped throw me down. Mama then repeatedly kicked me in the stomach. I began flinching and crying from the pain. Mama ordered my sisters to give her the bat. My eyes widened in horror when she warmed herself up. I then screamed out when she collided the bat with me. I felt my rib crack from the brute force.

"I'll give you another beating if I ever suspect you doing anything disgusting again." She spat on me before walking away.

I was left in the living room to help myself. I crawled to my room and slumped onto the floor. I found the plushie in my bag and squeezed it to my chest. I could have sworn I saw a silhouette outside my window, but I was too disoriented to look. I soon blacked out just as I felt arms around me.

I woke up in pain, but pushed myself to get up. I was going to text Jer, but I saw a surprising message. Kiki was asking for us to hang out today. I was sad because I had to work, but her next message shocked me. She had already asked Miss Brown to give me the day off. I smiled and texted that I could wait to see her. She immediately responded back and asked what I'd like to do. I was thinking about what to do when I remembered the day.

I told her to meet me at the bus stop. She agreed and said she would meet me there soon. I got ready and groaned when I lifted my arms up. I was in so much pain, but I was determined to see Kiki. I slipped past Mama and my sisters. I walked to the stop and saw Kiki leaning against her Audi. I smiled and ran to her. I thought she'd be happy to see me, but she was furious.

She quietly opened the car door and allowed me to enter. I flinched when she slammed the door shut. She then entered the driver side and drove in silence. I was too afraid to ask for music, so I looked outside. I then heard the soft tune of Taylor Swift's Blank Space. I turned to see her giving me an apologetic look.

"I'm sorry. I'm just angry about something." Her grip tightened around the steering wheel. "I'm not upset with you or anything. I'm just mad at the situation." She took a deep breath. "Where are we going?"

"Two places!" She quirked a brow. "Volunteering!" She groaned. "Come on! It'll be fun!" She gave me a doubtful look. "I promise." She softened at my words.

I directed Kiki to the volunteering center for the deaf and blind. Her eyes widened while I chuckled. I motioned for her to follow me inside. I explained to the director that she'd be volunteering with me. Kiki looked uncomfortable at doing a good deed, but I told her it was so rewarding. She said she needed a lot more good deeds to cleanse her soul.

I snickered and took her to the deaf people. She surprised them by signing. They began to have fun conversations with Kiki, who was amused. I chuckled at the jokes they'd tell which would make Kiki laugh. I gasped when she told the elder woman a raunchy joke. A little girl was looking at her slightly confused. Kiki noticed and stared at the girl. She then started adapting her signs to BSL. The girl clapped and began signing back. Huh, didn't know she was fluent in multiple sign languages.

After the deaf room, we went to the blind. I wanted Kiki to simulate blindness, so I gave her an eye mask. She placed it on and talked to the people like if she had one of her senses affected. I smiled at her dedication to engage herself. The director asked me who she was. I told her that Kiki was a friend of mine, so-