1

^^ (Baby Addy)

I squeezed my eyes shut and tried to ignore the smoky smell assaulting my nose. I couldn't ignore it anymore, so I opened my eyes. I lifted my head from my pillow and glanced around the dark room. I tried to use the moonlight to find what was causing that odor, but I couldn't find anything. I huffed and pushed the covers off. I jumped down and walked towards my door. I paused when I saw someone outside.

I walked to the window and used my short legs to see over the window sill. I was craning to see due to my height. Why was I so short?! I held my breath when I saw a man walking outside. It seemed that he was agitated for some reason. Why was he upset? He kept pacing back and forth like he was having a conversation with someone... but he was by himself. Who was he speaking to? He then began arguing with the invisible person.

He then began laughing like a maniac and stared at my house. I gasped when his eyes locked with mine. He creepily smiled at me and waved. I hesitantly waved back, causing him to make funny faces at me. I giggled and made faces back at him. He stuck his tongue out at me and began making funny gestures. He hopped around and arched his back at a weird angle.

I stopped laughing when his smile turned into a frown. It was like he was in a trance. He slowly walked towards my house and held his hand out. I focused on his hand that began to glow a reddish orange. I then gasped when a fire erupted in his hand. He smirked and continued advancing towards my house. I saw him pick up the gas container and continue to stalk towards me.

I allowed myself to fall onto my butt. I quickly scrambled up and opened my door. It took me two tries since my shortness hampered me from reaching the handle. I then ran as fast as my little legs would allow me. I heard the telly downstairs, so I ran to the living room. My parents were drinking beer while laughing together. My dad saw me and raised a brow in confusion. I ran into my mom's arms and held her tight.

"What's wrong, Addy?" She kissed my cheek. "It's late. Why are you up, zaubermaus?"

"Trouble sleeping?" I nodded at my dad. "Don't worry, hon... I'll put her back down." He smiled and stood up.

"There was a man outside." I buried my face in my mom's chest.

"A man?" My dad became rigid.

"Yes, I saw him outside. He waved at me and then started to walk closer to the house. He scared me." I whimpered.

"Heidi, take her." My dad grabbed a bat. "I'll check this out."

"Come on, perle."

My mom picked me up and took me to the basement. I was scared, especially since my mom was scared. I heard the door open and my dad yelling. I then heard thumping and screaming upstairs.

"Zaubermaus." She shook me. I looked at her with tears in my eyes.

"Where's daddy?" I cried.

"Shh!" She soothed me. "You have to be quiet." I nodded at her. "Promise me you won't make a sound." She forced a smile, but I was too naïve to realize it was fake. "Smile? For me?" I smiled and nodded. "Here take this." She handed me a necklace.