30

^^(Addy)

Kiki's POV

I tracked the girl's aura to a small diner. I walked inside and saw her sadly looking at her phone. What caused her to have that cute little frown on her face. I wanted to make her feel better and I know humans love food so... I focused on her aura and was able to detect her likes and dislikes. Huh, she likes blueberry pie? But the one the shop owner makes, so I focused on how she imagined the food to taste. I conjured up a slice and approached the girl.

I sat in the booth and pushed the plate towards her. The girl saw the desert and smiled. She looked up with a shit eating grin, but it morphed into confusion upon seeing me.

"Do you like it?" She simply stared at me. "You looked sad, so I wanted to do something to make you smile." I shyly admitted, but the girl refused to respond. "What's your name?" She blankly stared at me. "Are you going to talk?" I was becoming unnerved by her rudeness. "You know what... whatever. This is what I get for being nice." I moved to stand up, but she quickly grabbed my wrist.

"I'm deaf." She spoke, but that was a lie. She could clearly hear me when she was telling me off at the fair. I rolled my eyes and was about to leave again, but she quickly spoke. "They broke my hearing aids." She placed the broken devices on the table.

"What? Who did this?!" I wanted to kill them. "Fuck, you can't hear." I slapped my forehead. I then began to sign to her.

Who did this to you?

Some guys at my school. How do you know sign language?

Is it not common amongst mortals?

Mortals? You speak as if you aren't one. I cracked a grin at her words. So how did you learn it?

I was taught a few languages. I casually spoke. Now, why did they break these knowing you can't hear without them?

That's the reason why. She sighed. I get bullied a lot for my disabilities.

Disabilities... so that's implying you have multiple?

I'm also blind. I raised a brow. Blind in my right eye, but I can see perfectly out my left one!

Were you born this way or-

No, it was an accident. She sighed. There was an explosion and I hit my head hard, so I lost my sight. And then the loud blast essentially made me deaf. I can hear with the hearing aids though! Her face then fell. Well, I was able to hear with them...

Do you not have a backup pair?

With what money? She humorlessly laughed. These are expensive and I'm almost positive Mama won't buy me another one. She began to sulk.

Your mother wouldn't carry out that expense to enable you to hear? I arched a brow.

Well, she's my adopted mother... not my birth mother.

Adopted-

My parents were killed in the accident... can we not talk about it anymore? She swiftly looked away, so I gently poked her arm. She looked at me, prompting me to continue signing.

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to overstep my boundaries. She gave me a small smile. You should eat the pie.

Okay... how'd you know this is my favorite? The girl took a bite.

Lucky guess. I blushed and looked down.

What's your name? She looked at me.

What's your name? I countered back with a smirk.