Chapter 47

The garage was on the basement level, and they could enter the house through the door on the right side as soon as they got out of the car.

Having heard the noise from the garage, Mama Lu was already waiting in the basement level’s entryway. When the door opened, she said, “Leaving the house even though it’s already so late, did something urgent happen… and this is?”

Jian Rong didn’t expect for Lu Boyuan’s family to still be awake at such a late hour. He was following behind Lu Boyuan, and when he heard her voice, his shoulders instantly grew tense. It had already been many years since he had last communicated or interacted with those of the older generations.

While Jian Rong was still pondering over what to say, Lu Boyuan helped answer for him.

“A teammate. The base was robbed, so I brought him back to stay with us for a few days.” Lu Boyuan opened the shoe cabinet and pulled out a pair of clean slippers before dropping them in front of Jian Rong.

“Robbed?” Mama Lu hastily peeked behind him. “He wasn’t hurt, right? Did you report it to the police?”

Meeting her gaze, Jian Rong straightened his back and nodded quite a few times. “I wasn’t injured, and I reported it… I’ve troubled you.”

Mama Lu saw his blue hair, and she slightly raised one elegant brow. “That’s good then. Your face is a little red, is it too chilly outside? Quickly close the door, don’t let the cold air in.”

Jian Rong obediently turned around and shut the door. There was heating in the car, so how could it possibly be cold? His face was merely red from the humiliation of having his lies exposed.

“How come you haven’t gone to bed yet?” Lu Boyuan walked further into the house.

“How could I possibly be able to sleep? Your dad isn’t asleep either, he said that he absolutely has to beat you in chess tonight.” Mama Lu looked at Jian Rong again. She opened her mouth to say something before suddenly pausing.

It took Jian Rong two seconds to react, and he hurriedly introduced himself. “Jian Rong, but you can call me however you would like.”

Mama Lu smiled. “Xiao Rong, you can sleep in the guest room on the third floor, right next to Xiao Lu. That room was just tidied up a few days ago.”

In the first floor living room, Papa Lu pinched his chin and frowned as he sat in front of the chessboard. When he heard the sound of them coming in, he said without raising his head, “Did you get cold feet and run away because you felt like you couldn’t beat me in chess?”

Lu Boyuan gave an “en.” “You can just consider it as that.”

“You—” Papa Lu abruptly looked up. His gaze stopped briefly on the teenager with dyed blue hair, who was standing next to the stairs, before traveling towards Lu Boyuan. “…hurry up and come over here!”

Knowing that he wouldn’t be able to sleep if he didn’t finish the game of chess, Lu Boyuan sighed and turned his head back. “You go up first, the room is the first on the left. Text me if anything comes up.”

Jian Rong replied with an ‘okay’ and politely refused Mama Lu’s kind offer to show him the way before climbing up the stairs two at a time.