XLII. May I?

JJ and Emily pulled up to the diner. They climbed out of the SUV walking together into the diner. They looked around, Emily placed her sunglasses on top of her head as JJ pointed to a booth in the back. Emily and JJ sat down looking at the person in front of them, concerned evident in their eyes "What did you want to talk about Dean?"

Across from them sat a nervous Dean. He ran his palms up and down his thighs to try and calm himself. Something the two women easily picked up on. They had known this boy for years, he was a part of their family. "Dean. Honey what is it?" JJ asked kindly

"I want to ask you two something."

Emily reached across grabbing the teens hand. "What is it?"

"Junior prom is coming up and I wanted to ask your permission...to ask Grace to be my date. As friends." He quickly finished.

JJ and Emily looked at each other as his eyes quickly jumped between the two. They smiled turning to him saying "Of course!"

His smile widened. He was about to say something else when the waiter walked over. After they ordered Dean said "Could you maybe help me come up with a way to ask her."

JJ smiled wide scooting to the edge of her seat as she and Dean ping ponged ideas.

The next day at school Dean was buzzing with excitement. He was going to ask her at the end of the day at her house. As Grace and Dean walked down the hall something caught their attention. In the hallway stood Matt. The captain of the boys soccer team. He yelled "JP!"

Grace looked over to see him in the hallway a poster in one hand and flowers in the other. The poster read "I hope im not being too FORWARD but my GOAL is to SCORE you as my date to PROM! What do you say?" Grace smiled looking over at Dean who quickly saved face by putting on a large smile. Grace walked over to him. Dean stayed back with sad eyes.

After school the two walked into Graces home. Grace was still buzzing from her promposal. When JJ and Emily walked in later that night JJ asked "How was school."

Grace beamed "I got asked to prom!" The two mothers watched as Dean did a wild amount of hand signals to inform them he had not asked. Emily asked "Who asked you?"

Grace smiled "Matt Blanc"

Dean said slightly annoyed "Captain of men's soccer."

Grace looked over at Dean before squealing "You should ask Hannah! Then we can all go together!"

"What! No! Hannah doesnt even like me!"

"So, just go as friends!"

"Like you and Matt are?" Dean asked accusingly

Grace was becoming inheritably more agitated by Dean's attitude "Dude! What the hell is your problem? You know Matt and I are just friends."

"Oh come on! I saw the doe eyes!"

"So what! Its not like you care."

JJ and Emily watched helpless as the two went after one another. Dean said "You know what? I dont care! Go be with mister perfect!" With that Dean picked up his bag walking out. Grace stood their shell shocked.

Three weeks later the best friends had not worked out their issues. Grace was mopy and missing her best friend. One night Grace was sitting up in bed when her Mom came and knocked on the door. "You okay hun?"

Grace sighed "Yeah Mom-actually I need some advice."

JJ walked into the room sitting beside her daughter in bed. "Whats up?"