XVIII. Broken Tail Lights

JJ and Emily were on their way home from a case when they passed a car accident. JJ and Emily shared a look the something ain't right look. Emily and JJ turned in closer to the accident. JJ exclaimed, "That's Sydney's car!"

Emily said loudly as the two exited the car "Wasn't Grace hanging out with her tonight?"

JJ nodded rushing over to the carnage. They got a better look at the damage and JJ nearly went weak in the knees. The car was flipped over onto its hood. It looked absolutely smashed. The passenger side took the blow. JJ prayed her daughter wasn't dead. A police officer walked up and the two mothers pulled out their badges. "Feds? What are you doing here? Some teenage girls just flipped the car."

JJ asked, "Are they all okay?"

"Yeah, I think so. The blonde was life-flighted out of here a minute ago."

JJ and Emily were terrified. The man kept talking, "Idiot drunk driver is already at the station." Just as Emily and JJ were prepared to run back to the SUV when they heard "MOMS!"

They turned their head to the ambulance where Grace had a bandage on her forehead laying on the gurney, her leg up in a splint. Emily and JJ sprinted to her. JJ and Emily stood at the edge afraid to jump inside since the ENT was still working on Grace. "Are you okay?"

The ENT said "Just a cut on the head. The real damage is the broken leg."

Emily nodded "Broken leg we can handle a broken leg."

Grace started crying "Mama it was awful. They think Sydney broke her hip so she had to be flown out of here."

Emily put her hand on her daughter's good foot. "I know baby."

The paramedic asked "Moms?"

They both nodded. "One of you can ride."

On instinct, Emily helped her wife into the ambulance. "Where are we headed?"

"The George Washington Memorial Hospital."

The paramedic quickly closed the door and Emily ran to her car following ahead of the ambulance blocking traffic as they went.

When they arrived at the hospital Grace was quickly rushed to a trauma room

"Name please."

"Roselyn Grace Jareau-Prentiss"

"Age?"

"14."

"Sophomore?"

"Yes ma'am"

The doctor came in and said, "Well It was a clean break so the nurse is going to get you all casted up and send you with some pain killers."

"When will I be able to play soccer again?"

The doctor's face fell "It was a clean break but still extremely serious. I'm afraid it will be at least a year before you are playing."

"A year!"

"I am so sorry Ms. Jareau-Prentiss"

When they pulled up to their home the whole team was standing in the driveway waiting on their smallest member to return. They all crowded the car. Luke lifted Grace under her arms while Reid very carefully supported her legs. JJ cringed as they carried her injured child into the house. Tara yelled behind her "Where do you want them to put her?"

Emily yelled "Our bed."

JJ looked at her wife silently thanking her. Emily knew her wife. Ever since the kids were small whenever they would get sick or hurt it took a real toll on JJ. She loves them so much that she hurt when they hurt. That still remained true today.

Emily and JJ walked into the master to see the team all piled up in the bed a plethora of food around them. Grace had a smile on her face but tired eyes. Emily said, "As much as I love ALL of you in my and JJs bed it is getting late and you all have work tomorrow."

They all grumbled crawling out of the bed wishing Grace well and telling her goodbye.

JJ and Emily crawled into bed JJ kept a firm hold on her daughter as Grace slipt off to sleep. At one point in the night, Emily woke up to find her wife missing. Emily walked downstairs to see her wife on the couch her laptop on her lap. She was watching old videos of Grace. Emily sat beside her wife. The two just sat there for sometime before JJ said "It could have been really bad."

Emily nodded kissing her wifes head tears starting to form. "Yeah, it could have been."

"I was on the phone with the police she was hammered in the side of the car she was on the car flew twenty feet in the air than landed on its roof. It took an hour and a half for them to get her out."

Emily stayed quiet digesting everything JJ had just told her. JJ said "God. If something happened to her I-I- I don't have any idea what I would do."

Emily kissed her wifes head "Me either baby."

The two stayed downstairs laughing and crying at old pictures and videos before going back upstairs and just holding Grace. Grace woke up twice that night. Once for pain and once from a nightmare but Emily and JJ were able to quickly settle her.