IV. The Hundred Day Cough

JJ walked into her house and saw Grace laid out on the couch. Something she was not used to seeing between soccer and life as a middle school girl Grace was always doing something. They were lucky Grace never really had a typical middle school experience. She had a great group of friends and was always smiling. She walked over to Grace and said "What's got you laying around? Do you not feel good?"

Grace shook her head no.

JJ said "come here" then kissed her on the forehead. She was taken aback by just how hot it was. She went and got the thermometer and fever medicine then called the doctor's office. While she was on the phone with the doctor Grace's thermometer went off it was 103.3 JJ quickly went into action she helped Grace get up Grace moaned at the sudden change in direction. JJ's heart broke as she helped her daughter into the car. She called Emily. Emily said "Hey baby."

"Hey Em."

"What's wrong?"

"Grace is sick."

"How sick?"

"I'm taking her to the doctors now."

"Temperature?"

"103"

Emily gasped saying "I'll try to get home as soon as possible."

"Okay be safe. I love you!"

"Love you too. Always."

Grace sat on the exam table looking like a wreck The doctor checked her out and said "It's just a very bad cold."

JJ said, "look at her it's not just a cold."

"I know it looks bad but really Mrs.Jareau-Prentiss it's just a cold."

That night Grace laid on the couch her legs resting on Emily's lap. Grace went to say something but was overtaken by a coughing fit. Emily sat up quickly trying to help her daughter. Graces coughing fit continued as Emily and JJ watched helplessly. Grace's face changed and Emily quickly yelled "Trash can trash can!"

JJ put it under Grace just in time. Grace threw up fluid sharply inhaling like she hadn't breathed in forever.

By the third day, JJ and Emily were extremely concerned. Their daughter had dropped serious weight. Whatever Grace could eat she would cough and eventually throw up. Grace stood up from her place on the couch walking to the bathroom. When she returned she slowly walked into the living room. JJ said something to her but Grace didn't answer her, her eyes were glossed over. She wobbled slightly at her next step before collapsing to the floor. JJ and Emily's eyes widened quickly racing to her. Emily and JJ kneeled beside her trying to wake her up. When she didn't come to Emily checked for a pulse. She stood up grabbing Grace as she cradled her running to the car. JJ followed behind the barely having time to lock the front door. JJ climbed into the back seat of their FBI SUV as Emily laced Grace's head on her lap. Emily climbed in the front throwing on the sirens she raced off to the hospital she called ahead letting them know they were on their way. JJ rubbed her daughter's head, whispering words of encouragement. Emily came to a screeching halt in front of the ER door. She ran to the back scooping an unconscious Grace into her arms she and JJ ran into the hospital. They were met with a gurney and two nurses. They rushed Grace into a room hooking up heart monitors, IV, and drawing blood. Emily and JJ stood out of the way as the nurses worked quickly around their daughter. An hour later Emily and JJ sat beside their daughter. Elizabeth rushed into the room asking "What happened?" Emily and JJ stood giving Elizabeth quick hugs. Emily said, "She is sick and when she was coming back from the bathroom she collapsed."

Elizabeth asked, "She still hasn't come to?"

JJ looked at her daughter sadly saying "no."

Elizabeth sat slowly in the only other open seat saying "Do they have any idea?"

"They say she is textbook for whooping cough-"

"Isn't she vaccinated?"

"She was but somehow she still got it. Anyway, she got extremely dehydrated and passed out. They don't know why it's taking so long for her to wake up but they said everything else is normal and not to worry."

Elizabeth nodded looking at her granddaughter "The whole team is here including Garcia."

Emily and JJ smiled softly. Emily stood up saying "I'm going to go give them an update." She leaned over kissing Graces and JJs forehead on the way out. Grace slept through the whole team coming and going. Around nine o'clock the following morning JJ and Emily and JJ looked over to see their daughter's sweet blue eyes looking back at them. JJ and Emily quickly moved close to her. Emily reached over the bed pressing the call button a nurse asked  "yes?"

"She is awake."

"I will send a doctor right away."

JJ leaned in placing her hand on her daughter's cheek "How are you feeling baby?"

"Like garbage."

The doctor walked in saying "I bet so. Roselyn do you know what happened?"

"Grace. Please. Call me Grace,"

The doctor nodded "My apologize Grace."

"No worries. I was uhm on my way back from the bathroom to the living room. I felt dizzy in the hallway and braced against the wall. I can't remember much after that."

JJ and Emily looked at each other with concern. Emily said, "You don't remember walking into the living room?"

Grace shook her head, no tears in her eyes. Emily gave her daughter's hand a very gentle squeeze "Oh honey it's okay... right doc?"

"Yes, it's totally normal. I want you to stay here again overnight so I can make sure you get plenty of fluids then you can head home. Okay?"

Grace nodded at him as he left the room.

A few hours later Grace could be seen sitting up in her hospital bed playing rummy with Garcia, Reid, Luke, Tara, JJ, and Emily. Grace threw her hand up "Oh!" before being overtaken by a coughing fit JJ rubbed her back while Emily kept the bucket under her. Grace finished whispering "sorry." JJ held Grace close, kissing her head saying "You have nothing to be sorry for."

Garcia squeezed her leg "Nothing at all gumdrop."