XXXIV. Court

Grace stood in her room buttoning her shirt slowly taking slow deep shaky breaths. She slipped her pants over her hips wincing when it grazed the still tender "M" She slipped her shoes on before taking one last breath walking down the stairs. The whole team, Declan, Elizabeth, Hotch, and her mothers all stood waiting. Each dressed in proper court attire. She went straight to her Mothers needing comfort. Emily asked, "Are you ready?"

"No, but I need this to end. I need to sleep."

They nodded knowingly. They all slowly made their way to the three waiting blacked-out SUVs courtesy of Elizabeth.

The large black SUVs rolled to the front of the courthouse. Jj and Emily kissed their daughter "We got you, baby girl."

The group piled out of the three SUVs. Hotch took his rightful place in front. Reid and Luke flanked Grace's front while Tara and Matthew flanked her back. Grace's mothers stood protectively on her right and left as they walked up the steps of the courthouse pushing through the crowd of reporters. JJ and Emily tried to conceal their daughter's face but Grace turned to them giving them a look of strength. She held her head high as she climbed the marble stairs of the courthouse. Once inside the mothers lead Grace all the way to the swinging doors. Hotch gave them a look of reassurance before guiding the girl to the table with him. He pulled out the chair for her to sit in. She sat putting her hands on the table in front of her, hands grasped together. The door to the left opened and out walked Mike. He wore a suit with his hands cuffed to his feet. Grace kept her head high. He shuffled his feet to the seat. He looked over at Grace winking. The commotion was heard behind her. She looked back to see her Mom being held back by her Mama. The fire was burning hard behind her eyes. It only became worse when he smiled at JJ and Emily winking at them.

"All rise Judge Caraway preceding."

Everyone settled and stood as the large man walked onto his stand. "You may be seated."

Opening Statements: Hotch looked down at his notes before standing he made his way around the desk saying "No crime is as horrid as the one that was committed on the night in question. These cases are draining emotionally. I ask you, people of the jury, to look at the facts in front of you. The blood screening that shows that Grace was raped, the pictures that show the abuse Grace suffered at the hand of one Mike Ham a 22-year-old who had no business at a highschool party..." Hotch finally finished with little objections before calmly walking back to the table.

Mike's slimy lawyer stood. He had a presence that wreaked of bull shit. He stood walking over leaning onto the jury stand he looked back at the jury. He sighed loudly "This is a story we have heard far too many times. A girl gets into a fight with her boyfriend and falls into the arms of a handsome man. You will see that this is consensual sex that was interrupted by the young lady's boyfriend."

"Objection!"

"On?"

"It was not her boyfriend. Merely a friend."

Opening statements took only an hour but a long difficult hour at that. So much so the judge broke the silence saying "That's it for today. We will reconvene for the presentation of evidence tomorrow at 8." Hotch stood guard next to Grace until Mike was long out of sight before ushering back behind the gate to her mothers. Emily and JJ engulfed her into a hug. She held tight onto them falling limp. She was exhausted. She was emotionally drained and the lack of sleep made her physically exhausted. Emily kissed the side of Grace's head whispering "You did so good."

The group all walked in silence. As they made their way to the door Hotch handed Grace a dark pair of shades. She was skeptical at first but eventually put them on. The group took its latter position flanking all side Grace to ensure the reporters could not get within three feet of Grace. They expertly and smoothly floated down the marble stones quickly climbing into the awaiting SUVs. JJ and Emily sat on either side of Grace as Declan drove them home. When they pulled into the driveway Grace kept her head bowed as she walked inside. She went upstairs closing the door to her room. Everybody sat in the living room. Elizabeth was looking up at the stairs. She slowly stood walking over to Emily she placed her hand on Emily's shoulder, squeezing before leaning down whispering in her ear. Emily nodded knowingly before Elizabeth turned to walk up the stairs. She walked over to Grace's door gently pushing it open and she saw Grace sound asleep on the bed in shorts and a t-shirt. Elizabeth went and sat on the bed waiting for Grace to wake. After two hours of Elizabeth watching occasionally stroking Grace's cheek, Grace began to wake up.

"Hello my girl," Elizabeth said sweetly.

"Hello, Granny."

"How are you doing?"

Grace let out a defeated laugh "As good as what can be expected."

"You know I have met some of the strongest people across the world and none of them compare to you."

"Really?"

"Yes, baby. You have a presence."

"What do you mean?"

"Your Moms have a distinctive presence. Your Mom and Mama are strong and elegant. You have inherited the very best of each of them. You will be extraordinary."

"If I can survive this."

"When you survive this," Elizabeth said firmly

After a long while, Grace asked "Do I have to go downstairs?"

"Only if you want," Elizabeth said gently.

"Can we stay here a little while longer?"

Elizabeth kissed her forehead "Of course." 

A/N: Not the best but the next chapter will have all the juicy bits.