VIII. First Day of High School

"Grace."

"Grace."

"Baby girl it's time to wake up"

"Come on honey it's the first day of high school."

Grace groaned opening her eyes to see both of her Moms looking down at her soft smiles on their faces. Grace said "Breakfast?"

JJ laughed kissing her daughter's forehead "Mama made a stack of pancakes downstairs."

Grace quickly jumped out of bed scurrying down. Emily laughed at her wife saying "That's all you."

"Oh, I know! I'm pretty proud of my little pancake monster."

Grace wore her school uniform and some vans for her first day. She walked back down into the living room and JJ smiled at her saying "I love those shoes!"
"Thanks, Mom! I got them with Garcia last weekend."

Emily and JJ pulled in front of the school. JJ and Emily turned back looking at their not so little girl. "Have a great first day!"

"We love you!"

"So much!"

They watched as Grace ran up to Dean and Hannah hugging them before turning back waving at her Mom's SUV. The little friend group walked inside the large building looking so small amongst all the other highschoolers.

As they drove down the road JJ looked over to see Emily whipping tears from her eyes.

JJ reached across putting her hand on Emily's leg "Aw honey."

"They grow up too fast."

"They really do."
"She's in high school Declan graduated freaking medical school and now he's all the way across the country at Grey-Sloan."

Emily kept wiping her tears "Emily. They will always need us."

Emily just nodded silently continuing to drive to the BAU.

~~

Grace had homeroom with Hannah and the two walked in sitting beside one another. A girl walked right up to Grace "Who are you?"

"I'm Grace."

"I'm Ashley."

"Hi, Ashley."

"I'm a sophomore."

"Oh cool. I'm a freshman."

"Look I honestly don't care. You are in my seat so move."

"What?"

"Come on! Are you deaf? Get out of my seat."

Grace stood her ground "There are no assigned seats so why don't you find a new seat."

"Look fresh meat, you are going to regret that."

"Okay everyone take a seat! I am..."

Grace, Hannah, and Dean all walked into the cafeteria trays in hand wide eyes searching for a table. They settled on one making their way over. Grace sat down and over walked Ashley. Grace rolled her eyes "What is this your seat too?"

"No. I just wanted to come over and see you and your loser friends."

Dean was mad "Who are you?"

"Ashley duh. You have probably heard of me, my parents are pretty powerful."

"Graces Moms are pretty powerful too."

"Moms? Huh, I'll have to keep that in mind. By fresh meat."

Grace continued to be tormented by Ashleys and her little minions throughout the course of the day.

~~~

Grace walked into the house throwing her bag down by the door, her shoulders heavy. Grace and Emily shared a look. JJ called out "Honey are you okay?"

Grace called out "Fine." before going into her room.

JJ and Emily looked at each other. Emily stood up patting JJs knee "Ill go."

Emily slowly walked up the stairs and down the hall. She stopped in front of her daughter's door gently knocking on it "Go away please."

Emily walked in gently "No ma'am baby we don't do this. I'm opening the door."

Emily walked in to see her daughter laying on her back staring up at the ceiling. Emily came and laid beside her. Emily knew her daughter. She knew she would open up when she was ready. Grace shifted onto her side snuggling up to Emily. Emily wrapped her arm around Grace kissing the top of her head. Grace said defeated "High school sucks."

"Oh, baby it's only been the one day."

"I already have the resident miss popular riding my back."

Grace went about telling Emily all about her day. Emily laid in silence digesting everything her daughter was telling her. Grace finished with a defeated huff Emily kissed Grace's forehead saying "When I was in high school... a long time ago... I had an Ashley. Her name was... well that's not important any way you know I moved a lot because of Gran's work. This meant a new highschool. We were in Rome and she was awful to me every single day. I hated going to school. Until I met Matthew. Matthew was like Dean. He quickly became my best friend and after... After I got pregnant I leaned on him. Then after the abortion, I leaned on my friends even more. I eventually leaned on my good people so much and they leaned on me that I couldn't even hear the negative."

Grace nodded cuddling back into her Mama. After a while, Emily asked, "Do you have any homework?"

"No. Today was just syllabus day."

"Okay. How about you change? Then we go downstairs and all watch a movie?"

Grace nodded standing up as Emily walked downstairs. JJ put her book down asking "What up?"

"Classic mean girl."

"Oh, poor thing."

"Yeah but she's a Jareau-Prentiss she'll bounce right back."

A/N: I am in college meaning I only really have time to write over the weekend so would you rather

A. I write/post on the weekend.

B. Write on the weekend but don't post it all and post it throughout the week.

Please let me know!

xoxo K