{Prologue}

Hey, Mr. President, I Though You Were Dead?

So, I uploaded a completely different chap for a sequel to Hey, Mr. President but when I went to write some more it didn't really fit how I wanted the story to go so I deleted it. I've a little of this planned out already, but I haven't started writing anything else so there probably won't be any new uploads for a little while.

This starts two years after Hey, Mr. President originally ended.

:Prologue: 2 Years Later

     Mistakes, he'd made a lot of those throughout his life, but never had he ever regretted one as badly as he did now. He'd lived his life regretting every decision he had no choice but to make, always swearing he'd never regret the ones he had a choice in and now? Now he regretted it with every fiber of his being and he didn't know how to make it right.

    How many times had he been about to pick up the phone and call her only to talk himself out of it? How many times had he convinced himself that this was for the best only to second guess himself mere minutes later? He'd been a screw up father since the day she was born, she deserved a parent that actually new how to be a parent. Not one that was so riddled with guilt that he wondered if it wouldn't have been better if he'd just stayed away.

    But he couldn't get over the fact that she'd welcomed him with open arms and no questions asked. She'd been so forgiving, so welcoming and so much like her mother that there were times he'd been so close to tears that he wondered how he'd managed not to cry. He doubted she realized just how much like her mother she was, just how much like him she was.

     Of course, he thought, it was probably better that she didn't realize it. The less she thought about  him the less guilty he'd feel. The less he wanted to call her, visit his new grandson and tell her he was still alive. But then, the less he wanted to tell the truth the worse he felt. So really, it was all just a lose/lose situation, wasn't it?

    He could tell her the truth, 2 years wasn't too late, was it? He could call her and face the consequences of his actions. Even if she decided she never wants anything to do with him again, at least then the guilt wouldn't be eating him alive every second of every day. At least then he'd know he'd tried instead of hiding away in his home for the rest of his life.

    No, no he couldn't tell her. It was better, safer for her this way. Maybe this way if something ever happened to her because of his past the guilt wouldn't kill him. Maybe this way, he wouldn't be reminded of the one person he'd loved the most in his life. The one person that had seen him for the man he was and not the power he held in the palm of his hand.

~

   God, what was she doing? She shouldn't be here, she knew that. But she couldn't stay away either. She couldn't pretend to be someone else, she couldn't pretend not to care. Not any longer.

   She'd stayed away for as long as she could but now she couldn't do it. She couldn't stay away from those she loved, she couldn't pretend like she didn't know them any longer.

   How long had she stayed away? How long had she allowed so many others to control her life for her? It was safer to be someone else, to act as though she no emotional attachments. It was safer, but it wasn't her.

   She'd watched from afar for as long as she could and now she just prayed that they would forgive her for it.

Like it? Hate it? Comment and Vote.