51. Conversation.

We stayed one night at my uncle as well.
And now,
We're home.

The inevitable is bound to happy soon.
At least I'm glad I won't be alone.

We sit in the living room, waiting for when the doorbell will ring. And when it does, Clay is quick on his feet. I stay where I am, nervously fidgeting with my fingers, hoping he won't act as mad towards me.

It takes a bit before they come into the living room. And I can follow what Clay says before they do. 'Let me be really clear. You don't touch her. And if she tells you to leave, you get your ass out of the house.' He says. 'Jesus, are you her dad?' Liam snaps. The door is about to open but it gets stopped. 'Understand I would have beat your ass if you came to my house again. The neighbors should have called cops on you.' Clay says.

Then the door opens.

I don't look behind me to where the door is, instead I look at my hands. I haven't seen him since I moved. 'Amelia.' I flinch at the voice and look up. Piercing and icy blue eyes look down at me. 'Sit down and say what you want to say.' I tell him. He sits down. His black hair a little longer then when I last saw him. God it's been ages.

'I really missed you.' He says softly. Cheeks a little red from the cold night air from outside. I nod in response, hearing Clay sit down at the dinner table behind me. 'I wish you had told me that sooner,' I give him a weak smile as I look up from my hands.

'I just can't stop thinking about you -'

'I'm sorry,' I interrupt. 'You can't do this. Not now. I've.... I've moved on and I've been interested in someone else.' His hart must have stopped the way his breathing did for a second. 'Oh. Well,' he scratches the back of his head 'that person better not be an idiot like I was. I hope he knows he got something special.' I scoff 'you really think so?' He nods in response. I look away from his eyes and familiar face 'you know.... if you had told me that a year ago-'

'I know,' he says. 'I know.'

A heavy and painful silence fills the room briefly.

'Did you ever think about us?' He asks me.
'Of course I did. I thought about how timing really is everything. We had the chemistry, we had the love. We had the whole universe. Except for that one little detail; we weren't ready for each other. You weren't ready for me.'

We looked at each other for the first time in years. And just like back then, it feels the same. Missing the most important part. The timing is still not right and will never be. It seems this is how it will always be for the two of us. Just like thunder and lightning. Our timing will always be a little off. And therefore, our love too.

'I never meant to hurt you.'

I look him in the eyes and give him a smile, full of grief and sorrow. 'If that was truly what you wanted. We wouldn't be sitting here like this. You were the best and the worse thing that ever happened to me. and sadly, timing let the best part slip away, just to leave me with the broken memories of how you were to me.' He clenches his jaw and looks away.

'I will never get over you. Never forget what we had.'

'Well... You know what they say. Karma's a bitch.'