21.

'He's sweet and handsome.' Mom says in our language as she helps me cut the vegetables. I chuckle. 'Is He a nice roommate?' She asks. 'He is. He really is.' I say. Mom looks at me briefly before going back to cutting. 'How so?' She asks. 'Well we made a deal that I cook and do the dishes if he pays for groceries and puts them away when home. Yet when I work late there will always be a plate of food ready for me and a little note.' I say. Mom smiles 'that's sweet.' She says. 'Yeah.' I say as I smile too. 'Can I help?' Clays asks. I turn to look at him, glad that he can't understand our language. 'No it's alright, thank you.' I say back. 'Alright.' He says before heading back. 'Have you thought about what will happen when you get a boyfriend?' Mom asks. 'What do you mean?' I ask. 'Well, if you get a boyfriend, and he finds out you live with a man, he may not like that.' She says. I haven't thought about that. 'I... didn't think of that before. But, who says I'll get a boyfriend.' I say. She chuckles 'you will at some point.' She says. 'Then I'll see when it happens.' I say. She hums in return.

Right when dinner is ready, Kim comes downstairs from her shower. 'Dinner is ready.' I say so they both come to the table. We sit down and put food on everyone's plate. 'It's a new recipe, so I hope it's good.' I say. 'Smells amazing, Hunny.' Mom says. Kim is already eating and gives me a thumbs up. I chuckle at her as we all start to eat. Clay is quiet during dinner and heading upstairs after having helped out with the dishes.

We catch up on things we've all missed and watch a movie before heading upstairs to go to sleep.

'Clay?' I knock on his door. 'Yeah?' He answers from inside his room. 'Is it okay if I go to sleep already?' I ask not wanting to disturb him. He allows me to stay in his room with him, on an air mattress on the floor on my request. 'Yeah, come on in.' He says. I open the door and peek inside before stepping in. He's at his desk, doing something on his computer. 'It won't bother you?' I say. He turns his head to look at me 'of course not, go ahead.' He says. I'm holding an extra blanket that I'm hugging to my chest as I'm wearing a baggy shirt and pajama shorts. He turns back to his pc as I close the door behind me and look at the already made air mattress. There are clothes on top, so I kneel down to pick them up 'no, you sleep in the bed.' He says without turning around. 'What?' I ask as I stand back up with his shirt in my hand. I lay it down on the bed before sitting down on the corner closest to him. 'I'll sleep on the air mattress.' He says. 'No, you're not.' I say. 'I am.' I look at him as he clicks his mouse. 'Is something wrong Clay?' I ask. He turns to me and puts on a smile that doesn't quite reach his eyes. I give him a worried look. He sighs and turns to me completely. 'It just feels like I'm intruding.' He says. 'Intruding?' I looks away 'You haven't seen your sister and mother in so long and I'm just constantly there in the background.' He says. 'Oh you're not intruding.' I say. He looks at me. 'I mean it, you really aren't.' I say. He sighs and leans back into his chair.

I stand up and pat his shoulder 'is it alright if I turn the light off?' I ask. 'Yes.' I walk over to the light switch and turn the light off. I lay down on the air mattress anyways.

'Night.' I say softly

'Goodnight.'