The Three Paths of Pain

Chapter 09. The Three Paths of Pain

Kate was working in the library as usual. She was numbly thinking about the talk she had with Zay last night. He was her friend Cleo's little brother. Cleo and Kate had been friends for what felt like life time, until she passed away of cancer. Though they had been drifted apart in childhood, they had been in touch with each other. And when Kate's mother had died, Cleo had called her everyday to check if she was doing well. She had even invited Kate to Oregon but Kate had denied since she wanted to be with herself.

Last night Kate had called Zay asking him if he was alright, this being his first Christmas without Cleo. He had said he was not well enough to celebrate it with his family. So she had invited him to New York to be with her. He had agreed and was going to bring a friend of his with him. Her thoughts were interrupted by someone saying her name and waving a hand in front of her eyes. That someone came out to be Josh.

"Hey," he said, "day dreaming about you and Doug?"

"Noo... I was thinking about a friend. My friend's brother actually. He's visiting for Christmas. What are you doing this evening?"

"Oh. Well I was thinking that maybe I'd go and enjoy the Christmas with my wonderful new bedroom. You know I love it. It's my heaven."

"No ways. No one should spend the Christmas eve alone. You're coming with me. There's a huge plan actually."

"I seriously don't want to Kate."

"I've not asked you. We'll be going to Drake's place with Zay and whatever friend he brings with him."

"Your friend's brother right?"

"Yeah. I've not seen him sin-"

She was interrupted by someone calling her name again from the library entrance. And this time that someone was Zay with a girl.

Kate ran upto him and hugged him tightly and he hugged her back. He had grown from the last time she'd seen him. He was perfect six feet tall. His eyes were still as interesting as they were, one was sea green and the other was black.

"It's been so long. How are you," she asked him pulling away.

"I'm good. How are you?"

"I'm great."

"Don't stare. She's my friend Alexis. We go to the same school."

"Hello Alexis, I'm Kate," she said extending her hand towards Alexis.

Alexis was one or two inches smaller than her, her skin was tan brown. Her hair was black and tied up in a tight bow and her eyes matched the color of her hair. She was wearing an oversized hoodie.

"Hello?" Alexis shook her hand hesitating a bit.

There was someone calling for her yet again. This time the someone was Drake.

"Kate, Kate where the he- oh there you are. Listen I got a da-" he stopped when he saw there were visitors.

"Um- this is my friend, best friend Drake and this is Josh. Guys, this is Zay, my friend's brother and this is his friend Alexis," she said introducing them to one another.

"Hello," they all shook hands greeting each other.

Kate saw Alexis looking around an amazed look on her face. She likes books Kate thought. She asked Kate if she could look around the library. Kate had asked Drake to show her around, him being more involved in books than her. And now she was with Zay in front of her looking at Alexis and Drake with a smile on his face and Josh by her side looking at the wall in front, thinking deeply about something. She didn't want to break his reverie.