The Café

Chapter 08. The Café

Kate had finished her college early today. She had decided to work an extra hour at the library to pass the time. Just when she started walking towards her destination someone tapped her shoulder from behind. She turned around to see Josh standing there.

"Hey," he said smiling down at her.

"Hi, wats up? How come you're here?"

"Got off college half hour early so thought maybe we could hangout sometime before our shift starts."

"Yeah okay. I was actually gonna go for an extra shift. But fine, lets hangout. I'm bored to be honest."

"Great. Where shall we go?"

"Do you know the Café down from where you live? I'm running low on caffeine and they serve amazing coffee."

"Alright, let's go."

They reached the Café and sat across from each other at the second booth from the entrance. They ordered coffee for Kate and tea for Josh with some snacks.

"So, what do you wanna talk about?", she asked Josh.

"How did you know I wanted to talk?"

"That look on your face is the one you've always given me. What's bothering you this time?"

"Intelligent," he said smirking.

"Talk."

"I was not gonna bother you actually. But I really want to get it out of my system so will you listen?," he asked.

"Yeah please continue," she said placing her face in her hands which were resting on the table.

"So, um- when I was packing to move out, my dad came to my room and told me these things that he was proud of me and that he'll always be there for me whenever I need. I didn't understand why he told me all that after everything. So I told him to go away. He did, but he left me a box which Phil wanted to give me. It has some letters which will answer my questions. There was a letter on top of it. Phil said in that latter that my father is a good man and that he told Phil to encourage me for the scholarship. I don't know what's happening. I don't know if whatever I did was right or wrong anymore. It's just all getting stressful."

"Hey, nothing is getting stressful," she said placing her hands on his, "you are just overthinking."

"No Kate, I am just trying to figure out everything, to put everything in place. It's hard. Please help me out," he said.

"Of course I will. Let's start with your father. He said he was proud of you then I guess it's a good thing, considering the fact that he was the one who wanted you to go for NYIP in the first place.  And he said that he'll help you then maybe he wants to. Maybe he's trying to fix things, make up for his mistakes."

"I don't know. It's just that why now, when I started a new life, when I was finally doing something I really liked."

"Don't think about it like that. He's trying to make things right, so maybe you should let it go. Give him a chance."

"Yeah maybe. Well, what do you think about the box?"

"I think if you're so eager to know about it then you should open it. Why to waste time thinking about what's inside when you can look in?"

"What if I'm not ready? What if I feel like attempting suicide again. I'm scared Kate, I'm scared of going that near to death and coming back with nothing."

"Well then I'm here for you and so is Drake. We'll never let you do that. And why are you losing hope? There are things worth living for. Your dream of learning in NYIP has come true, you've got friends, you've got a handsome roommate, what else do you want?"