Finding home

Chapter 05. Finding home

The next morning Josh woke up to the noise of his parents quarreling
at the top of their voices. This had become a new normal for him. He didn't feel like doing anything, just lying on his bed till evening when he'd finally be leaving all of this behind. When he'd be starting a new life. Not exactly new life but definitely a different one. But he also didn't want to be here listening to his parents quarrel.

He got up and showered, changed into warm clothes. The weather outside was not as cold as it was normally but Josh felt the need to wear a jacket over his thick t-shirt. He filled his backpack with his documents and his file of the best photographs he had taken. He knew he wouldn't be back until evening so he slipped some money in his pocket. He put on his headphones and left without turning back to see if his parents had stopped bickering or not.

He reached his destination in less time than he had expected. Pulling down his headphones he asked the way to the college office to a man standing outside. He switched off the music and headed towards the office.

"Hello. I'm Josh. I'd called yesterday to enquire if I'd earned the photography scholarship for the..."

"Oh yes, Josh Miller. I remember you. I myself had selected you for the scholarship along with few others. You are so talented my boy. It's our pleasure to have you as a student."

"Thank you very much Sir. I had not thought I'd get selected. It is a pleasure for me too to get the scholarship. I actually came here to confirm my place, can you please help me?"

"Yeah, sure thing. Wait. You'll need to fill up this form and sign right here," he said pointing to an empty box on the form, "And you'll also need to submit a few documents. Starting with your id proof and those which you submitted while applying for the scholarship. And yes, you'll also need a copy of the confirmation letter you received few days back."

"Yes Sir, I have all of it. I'll fill up the form and hand it over to you with all the necessary documents," he said and headed towards a bench nearby. He couldn't believe that this was really happening. Well it was. He was overjoyed with the fact that he'd really won the scholarship. He got up and went over to the professor waiting for him.

"Sir, I actually cannot fill up this form completely. I'm searching for a place to live, so if you don't mind, can I keep this field empty?" he asked.

"Oh. Well your form cannot be accepted if it's not completely filled. But let's say it is. You can come here when you find a place boy. Don't go to anyone else, come directly to me. My office is on the second floor under the name Mr. Matthews," he said shaking hand with Josh.

"Thank you so much Sir. I'll always be grateful."

"Don't worry boy."

"Thank you again Sir. Here are my documents. I'll come as soon as I find a place and complete the form," Josh said and left the premises as fast as he could.

According to his plan for the day, he set out to find any job that could earn him money, at least worth a day. He first went to a café where he thought he could get a job. But when he enquired, there were no vacancies.

He went to many different stores and speakeasies but at this time of the year all the vacancies were filled up. He thought he'd have to ask Kate if she could help. But somehow he felt that he was asking for too much of help. What was he supposed to do? She was his one and only friend. It was late for lunch but Josh was a kind of person who couldn't live without eating. He headed towards McDonald's. He had some money. He placed his order and sat down in the corner seat where there were less people around. He put on his headphones and listened to the same song which he'd been listening to for past few months. (○Broken○ by Anson Seabra.) It had been the only one, he thought which portrayed his life a bit. Listening to songs was the only way he could stay calm. The song was playing soft when his order came up. He ate in peace of the song thinking maybe someday he'll not see himself where he saw him now. Finishing up, he left for the place where he could sit and think peacefully. He used to go there with his brother.