✶ 39: atsumu - sweet creature

it's no secret that atsumu didn't like losing to his brother.

it was one of the many things that drove him crazy with annoyance and while he certainly didn't mind a familial competition, he did wish that he didn't have to see everything as a contest.

ever since they were kids everything they did held some sort of equivalence to a playful point system that elevated one from another and for the longest time, atsumu would always be in the lead.

"are you listening?" your words interrupt and suddenly atsumu is back into reality.

walking along the streets of quiet and almost empty-like neighborhoods has always been one of his favorite things to do, partly because of how few people were there to murmur and speak amongst him but mostly for the fact that it only really happened with you.

for some annoying reason, you had a skill that many others in his class proved to lack— getting on his good side— and apparently that was enough to buy you a 'best friend for life' ticket whether you liked it or not.

he sighs, "you have an irritating voice."

"you can't say that to your only friend." you grin at how he playfully rolls his eyes, noting the smile he's trying to bite back.

the silence stays after that but it isn't filled with unwanted tension, instead its adorned by his brisk side glances that fortunately, you always fail to notice.

he does this too much with you— the pining stare where he sees every bit of kindness in your expressions but has never had any proper reason to actually bring it up.

"tsumu," you say, your hands fiddling by the hem of your sleeves and you look hesitant to finish your sentence.

he stops in his tracks, "something wrong?"

there's a lull in the air as you chose to pause. a hint of anticipation filling atsumu's head because if he was reading the situation right, wasn't this the kind of scene where a confession usually happens?

you shake your head, "why wasn't osamu at school today?"

"oh." he says and he feels the disappointment spread within his chest, that and a drop of realization that felt somewhat overdue.

he continues walking ahead of you, "he's got the flu."

it's not like he hasn't noticed your crush on his brother before, he just didn't like to keep it in his thoughts. for the longest time he hoped that it was a swiss of confusion on your behalf since he was sure that you were both closer but nevertheless the way you pined after osamu was never really subtle.

he notices your silence and how it's now completely different. he turns back for a second to spare you a glance.

"he'll be okay." he crosses his arms, "he's annoying but he's osamu so chances are he's already glared away the sickness by now."

"should we bring him some onigiri?" you ask, your tone falling a bit lower than what it originally was but it wasn't really something you could've helped.

he sighs again as he looks at you, "i don't want to—"

"we should definitely!" your words cut him off with a smile, the same one you'd always use to ask something from him and without hesitance it'd always get him to smile back.

with your new elevated features, the smile he forced back finally insisted, and the years where atsumu prided himself for winning the point system crumbled, realizing for a fact that no matter how better he was at video games or volleyball than his brother, you'd never like him the way you liked osamu.