✶ 05: atsumu - delicate

atsumu's reputation precedes him. arrogant, foul mouthed, ingrate - the list goes on and on and on, and honestly, he couldn't care less.

these flaws that people love to circulate around the rumor mill at school are the very same traits he takes pride in the most, and he certainly didn't give a damn at what his classmates thought, not when he was getting the job done.

but then there was you — and you'd always been so kind, and he thought, like everyone else did, how you were his striking opposite.

"you're still here?" you walk up to atsumu standing by the campus gate, the sun had long set by now and you wonder how he'd held up in the freezing cold with only a jacket.

atsumu always knew you were nice, too nice maybe, but he never thought you'd ever be nice to him, especially when the school painted him as someone to be a bit too cruel.

but then you showed him kindness, and he fell in love with you.

he grins, stuffing his hand in his pocket, and he pulls out a can of coffee, "i told ya i'd walk ya home, didn't i?"

you take the coffee from his hands, bashful, guilt swirling in the pit of your stomach at the sudden realization that he'd been stuck waiting there for you.

"oh uhm," he avoids your glance, nose red from the cold, "it isn't warm anymore, sorry, i wanted to get a hotter one from a vending machine but i didn't want you to think i'd left."

you look at him, eyebrows furrowing, and you hope he can tell how sorry you are just by how sincere you were staring.

"ya forgot, didn't ya?" he asks you, smiling nonetheless, and he laughs, puffs of white filling the air.

"i did." you tell him, honest, and you hope it's enough, "and i'm sorry."

the fact that he - infamous miya atsumu - even asked to walk you home in the first place still baffles you, but now? you're honestly floored at how generous he's been.

your friends warned you the second they heard about atsumu asking you out - you told them he'd just offered to walk you home, they told you you were full of shit - telling you he'd only do it to play you or he'd only done it because he lost a bet. you needed better friends.

yet, you knew that more than anyone, and maybe that's why you've been so on the fence with even taking him up on it — but when atsumu first approached you, he just looked so nervous — so sincere, that you couldn't help but say yes.

great job, you think to yourself, the one shot with miya atsumu and you blew it.

he sighs, yawning as he rests his arms on his head, walking ahead of you, and you almost hear the evident smile in his voice, "don't make me wait again next time."

next time. your ears are red.

"ah," you catch up to him, "that's really nice of you."

huh. he's never heard that one before, atsumu bites back a stupid smile - arrogant, foul mouthed, ingrate, and nice.

you were killing him, you really were.

atsumu looks to the side, ignoring your remark as he tries his best to stop his face from warming up, and he's gonna be honest — he almost feels like a fool for waiting — but then you smile at him, and he realizes, he really doesn't care.

not when you look at him like that.