✶ 20: iwaizumi - coffee

iwaizumi hates coffee. no matter what blend or flavor, he just can't get the hold of actually liking it. it was so dull in his taste, too much of a hit or miss. sometimes he'd get it too sweet and other times he'd get it too bitter, it was a horrible experience, so he'd rather just not drink it at all.

he's known this for such a long time now, but ever since oikawa dragged him to that café near campus, he's grown a terrible habit of waking up early just to jog all the way there to order himself a cup of coffee he knows he won't enjoy.

he does this, and he's quite unsure why.

"iwaizumi!" your voice greets him, the bell dangling from the door ringing the moment he enters the café, and a smile immediately adorns his face the second he hears you.

ah, that's why.

you scribble down on your notepad, "the usual?"

the usual— something he's forcing himself to grow accustomed to even if it was too bitter for his liking. the usual because it'd been the first (and only thing) he could order when oikawa first brought him there and he was too nervous to actually talk to you.

"i don't know how you could drink this," you tell him, voice chipper as you hand him the drink. you looked relaxed, probably because it was still so early and you wouldn't have to indulge in any more customers 'til a little while later.

he grins, "neither do i."

you laugh— he smiles. he made you laugh.

your voice stays with him for the rest of the day, and he wishes he ordered a more complicated drink just so he could stay in your vicinity for a little while longer. he thanks you for your service, and you tell him to have a nice day.

he glances down at the coffee he has in his hand and he stifles a groan as he rolls his eyes, he could always just throw it away, but then again you did put in the effort to make it, so he'd rather not waste any of that.

this unhealthy habit of his to suffer through pints and pints of caffeine just to see you has to stop, and he knows that the only way that'll happen is when he finally gets the courage to actually ask you out.

guess he'll just have to find a better tasting usual then.