✶ 27: atsumu - one

you were atsumu's one. in a world where everyone was too selfish and too cruel, you have and he's sure that you'll always be, the one person he'd be willing to go all out for.

the smile that only you could give him, the kindness that never seemed to run out even when he knew that he barely deserved it— all the little things that keep him weak in the knees. all the things he knows he'd only find with you.

it hasn't been a while since he realized how much he fell for you, but a big part of him's sure— so certain— that he's been in love with you for so much longer.

he found it in the little things; the way he'd look for you first in every room he walked into, the subtle warmth in his face whenever you got a little too close, or even the days he'd opt to walk in the freezing cold just because he gave you his jacket — details he didn't even realize were rooted in love.

you were atsumu's one, and he was so completely in love with you.

"thank you for coming." you say, your voice quiet— ashamed — and you only kept your head down as you bit back a sigh.

you were stood up. a stupid boy who gave you a stupid promise left you waiting by the campus exit, and if it weren't for atsumu who was kind enough to pick you up, you might've just about spent the afternoon wallowing in self pity.

"keep 'yer head up, will ya?" atsumu tells you, an evident smile in his voice. "wait 'til i get my hands on that scrub."

"don't joke." you say, unable to hide the grin that he made so easy to pull out.

he looks down to you, "what were you doing waiting for him anyway?"

"the usual," you say, your glance falling back, and both you and atsumu are bitterly reminded of your pitiful track record with the people you've so poorly chosen to fall in love with. "you know?"

he grimaces, "i know."

out of the two of you, you've always been the smarter one, but unfortunately for atsumu, you haven't been really kind to yourself when it came to the whole dating scenario.

of course, he's grateful that the guys you chose over him weren't decent enough to stick around but he won't deny that a piece of him always managed to chip away every time he saw you so close to tears just because they wouldn't treat you the way you deserved— the way he would.

"did kita approve you leaving practice early?" you walk closer to him, taking in the sights of your neighborhood and your smile falls weary as you realize the sun is almost setting.

"doesn't matter." he shakes his head, "i would've left either way."

"still." you reason, voice quiet as you say, "i know it couldn't have been an easy decision to leave practice for me."

atsumu wonders, not for the first time, if you must really not like him if you couldn't see all the signs he's basically sprawled out in front of you.

"ya know what though?" he asks, his expression soft and he wishes you could just feel everything he wanted to say instead of actually having to say it.

you meet his glance, "what?"

atsumu smiles, "it was."