✶ 21: oikawa - koi no yokan

there's a popular phrase in japan that oikawa frequently thinks of. a phrase that contrasts the idea of love at first sight, a phrase that he finds himself relating to more than he wanted.

it goes; koi no yokan— a premonition of love.

he thinks of you whenever he thinks of that phrase. the idea of a slow, gradual romance. no guarantee if it'll be fulfilled or left unrequited, but either way, he thought, and he knows will probably always think, that you and him are the perfect example of it.

when oikawa first met you, he took his time memorizing the little details you only showed to him and iwaizumi. a sense of pride seeping through his heart every time, knowing that you isolated that kind of love for the two of them alone.

you'd always been so warm — so kind. it made his heart swell and tighten every time he thought of it; thought of how you had been so good to him, thought of how he never deserved it.

he thinks of that phrase when the three of you graduate, diplomas in hand with nothing left to lose except for the love you, him, and iwaizumi has built over the years.

he thinks of that phrase when he finds himself loving you a bit more than usual, the day you opted to see him off at the airport as he boarded his flight to argentina.

"i don't feel finished here." he told you, the hand on his luggage tightening as anxiety washed over his chest.

he remembers how much he hated that day, how much he hated saying goodbye.

he felt tears brim his eyes, but he never cried.

his voice was quiet, glance fell to the ground and he told you, "wedon't feel finished."

"that's because we're not." he remembers how your voice wavered as you said this, you tried not to let it crack but it all fell futile when you took his hand in yours.

"you don't feel finished because you aren't." there it was again. warmth— warmth in your voice, in your words, as well as in your heart.

he hated how much he fell in love with you at that second, it was like you knew exactly what to say to calm him down, it was like the universe made you especially for him, and him for you.

you smiled that same smile he gradually loved to see, "you'll beat everyone."

oikawa thinks of you whenever he thinks of that phrase, a phrase contrasting love at first sight, and sparks the hope for a premonition of it instead.

he and you— you and he— the two of you were meant to share love in your life. platonic, romantic, he didn't care.

he was always meant to love you. it'd always been inevitable.

so he thinks of that phrase whenever he thinks of you.

he thinks of that phrase when you call him by the mean nicknames iwaizumi gave, he thinks of that phrase when you facetime him at the crack of dawn, he thinks of that phrase when he is so completely heartbroken by the fact that he missed you too much that it hurt— and he will think of that phrase when you're finally ready to tell him that you can't love him back.