✶ 29: kuroo - sleep

your eyes settle in the darkness. a second or two passing by just around the seams of your consciousness, and you realize, not for the first time, how much you absolutely hated the dark.

your glance falls to your window, the long knitted curtains barely giving you anything to go with, but from the feel of the atmosphere, it wasn't too hard to guess that the sun hasn't been up yet.

you fall back to staring at your ceiling, a plain creme white with elegant trimmings barely being made out in your sight and you take comfort in the fact that it didn't feel as dark anymore.

the room is quiet, subtly adorned by the mixture of steady breathing and the soft lull of the rustic air conditioner.

heavy arms pull you closer, and suddenly the quiet is overrun by the loud rustling of your bedsheets and comforters, and the oh-so-charming groan of your boyfriend.

kuroo looks at you, his eyes taking a second to fixate on your figure, drowsiness dripping from his expression, and he yawns.

"are you watching me sleep?" he says, "that's creepy."

"no," you say quickly, and a smile only erupts on your face when he looks like he isn't really buying it. "okay yes, but only because you woke me up."

he yawns again, this time bringing his hand up to rub the tiredness away from his eyes, barely shooting you a glance as he says, "i woke you up?"

you nod, "you snore."

he looks at you for a moment, eyes widening and he stills as if this has been an important revelation in his life waiting to happen, and suddenly the only expression he could muster up then and there was an incredulous mixture of shock and disbelief.

"what?" laughter bubbles in your chest as you stare at kuroo, "you do!"

"i do not!" he tells you, blinking away the last of his sleep as he tries not to raise his voice.

"yes, you do," you cross your arms, "it literally snapped me awake."

"you're terrible." kuroo says as he moves in closer to you, the hand he has on your hip trailing a bit above your waist and he pulls you down to his chest to let his chin rest above your head.

you hum as you let him, one of your hands making its way to rub soothing circles on his back and you smile when he only embraces you tighter.

"it's still so dark out." he tells you, the sudden realization that you two are probably the only ones awake in the entire apartment complex suddenly setting in.

you hum again, pushing yourself off away from his chest for a second, and you look up at him, smiling so gently as he tilts his chin down just to see you.

"when i lived alone, i used to wake up all the time at the crack of dawn because that's when my neighbor's kids would wake up to go to school," you say, feeling a bit of a faint flutter in your stomach as you felt the comfort in reminiscing.

kuroo laughs lightly, "can't imagine how loud that'd be."

you shake your head at the memory, "i could not stand it, most mornings i'd sleep on my couch just to try to muffle out their noise— but sometimes, it was really nice listening to their little family."

"see," kuroo smiles as he listens to your words, it's always been nice to hear you talk, and having you here in his arms as he gets to kiss you all he wants— it's all just a bonus for him.

he laughs, "you are creepy."

you push your head back against his chest, "i hate you."

"do you miss living alone?" he asks you, unsure why really, but he figures he'd ought to keep the conversation going.

"only sometimes," you say. "but i like that we did this, you know?"

"yeah," you hear the lazy smile in his voice as he says, "it's very grown up of us."

"now, all we have to do is find a solution for that snoring of yours."

"you really are terrible."

he coaxes you back into falling asleep, hands running through your hair and the steady rhythm of his heartbeat lulling you enough to allow drowsiness to kick in.

it's only been a few weeks since he asked you to move in with him and although it's been difficult, you ought to give kuroo the credit. waking up with him by your side certainly doesn't make the dark seem so bad anymore.