✶ 30: kageyama - complicated

rumors of kageyama slamming his head against his locker in the middle of a crowded hallway got to you the second you arrived home, and if you hadn't known any better you'd think that it was you who caused him to do that.

it was complicated— he'd been so rude to you when he normally never was and when he's said things that struck you a little too far, you just couldn't stop yourself from walking away from him.

that felt like it triggered a few unwanted memories from his childhood and as much as you wanted to apologize, he'd already left the second you turned back around.

he was your best friend, you just didn't realize how fragile it all was when he started a fight just because he saw you be a little closer to one of your peers.

the rain was picking up, your breath slightly turning heavier as you pace around the house and you feel a chill the second your thoughts are interrupted by the doorbell.

a few minutes prior, kageyama messaged you an annoyingly cryptic text of "i'm coming over." with no explanation at all.

you hurry to the door, hesitant to open it as you reach for the knob, wasn't he angry with you?

he stood on your front porch, his hair slightly damp from the brisk rain and you wanted to yell at him for only wearing one layer of clothes.

kageyama looks at you, saying nothing else but, a quiet, "will you go out with me?"

you're confused as to what you should say, distracted by the big gauze patching up kageyama's forehead and you could only remember how angry you were with him yesterday.

it was so abrupt— too sudden, but you weren't going to lie when you say you didn't see this coming.

you want to say yes, you should say yes.

you take another second to wait for a proper response, feeling a tad guilty when you watch as a shiver passes him from the cold weather.

"let's get you inside," you avoid his question.

he looks at you, shaking his head, "please."

"you— " you purse your lips, eyes softening as you finally realize how nervous he must've been to walk all the way to your house in this kind of storm, but something about his actions yesterday really threw you off.

you look at him, "you have some serious issues."

his expression falters, hand tugging on his sleeve as if he was starting to get jittery and it doesn't take him another moment to look back at you, and finally, he nods.

kageyama gives you a reluctant smile and you can see how unsure he is of what to do next, something you've never really thought you'd ever see from him.

his features soften along with his voice, "will you go out with me anyway?"