✶ 06: kuroo - godspeed

"what time's your flight?" your voice is timid, barely sparing kuroo a glance as the two of you walked in a snowy night.

he looks at you, grinning, "if you're sad i'm leaving, just say that." he jokes.

"okay." you tell him, sighing away a large breath, and your lower lip trembles, "i'm sad you're leaving."

the world was never kind to kuroo. not when it came to the things that matter. he always had to fight and work hard to attain what he had, and he was never ungrateful - not once did he complain, but now, on the eve of his departure, he realizes - how unfair everything was given to him.

you've always been by his side since forever and a day, and now, he's going to know what it feels like to lose his best friend - the love of his life - before he even got the chance to tell you how he felt.

he always thought he could wait, put off telling you what he felt for you a little bit longer, but before he even noticed it, the two of you have grown up - side by side, against the world - and ready to move down different paths.

he looks at you, eyes sincere, "me too."

"i'll call and text on the phone every day." you tell him, huffing back a sigh, and you ignore how difficult it was to blink back the sudden well in your eyes.

he smiles, "you hate the phone."

"i do." you laugh - hitting his arm softly, "i'd do it anyways."

kuroo stares at you, recognizing the affection in your eyes, and he tries so hard to refrain himself from putting his hand on your cheek.

he always loves you, but especially right now.

he hates that he waited telling you how he felt - he hates it more than anything, and he thinks, heart tightening, how much time with you he wasted.

kuroo holds out his hand, one that you were more than happy to accept, so he pulls you closer, smiling, "i'm really stupid, aren't i?"

"you're the smartest guy i know." you don't hesitate to tell him, your nose reddening at the sudden closeness.

he shakes his head, "not when it comes to the things that matter."

you ask, "what are the things that matter?"

the simple answer - the only answer, really - was you. you have always been the one thing that matters. in every single way, kuroo's sure, so painfully certain, that he does what he does for you.

he shrugs off your question, unsure of what to say, so he tells you this instead, "i can't believe i lost my shot with you."

you offer him a kind smile, forgiving.

"no - you didn't - it's just," you're closer to him now, a tear or two falling by your cheek and you could only ignore it, you sigh, "just the wrong timing."

he feels like throwing up as he hears you say this, and he hopes, he wishes, that if the world wouldn't be so kind to him, then the least it can do is be kind to you.

kuroo stares at you, biting his lip back to force down the frown he can't help but show, and he wishes you could understand what he wanted to tell you without him ever having to say it.

wait for me. he wants to say - so, so badly.

but he doesn't want to be selfish, you didn't deserve that, and he recalls again how the world was never kind to him - not when it came to the things that matter, not when it came to you.

kuroo thinks to himself, i'll wait for you.

"i know you - " his grip on your hand is tighter, chest heaving, "i know - i - i just - god, i'm a wreck." his laugh is nervous, heart full at the way you patiently waited for him to say what he wanted to say, he's heartbroken, but he smiles, "i'll come back as soon as i can."

that's the only thing he tells you - he doesn't ask you to wait for him, he couldn't put you through that kind of pressure, so instead he promises his return, an indication that you didn't have to wait, since he'd be the one waiting for you.

kuroo has warmth in his heart, among everything else, there is warmth, and there is you.

he could never ask you to wait, no, he can't ever put that kind of pressure on you, so instead he decides to be the one to wait for you, arms open and heart ready for you to accept his affections, and when you do, kuroo will know he wasn't only shown love, but for the first time, kindness as well.

you stare back at him, "then i'll wait." you say, and kuroo loves you more.