✶ 04: kuroo - sweet

you were never an 'i love you' kind of person. it made you cringe, really. so when kuroo first heard you say it, he knew better than anyone than to take it for granted.

it was sweet — hearing you say those words that you rarely uttered, hearing you say them to him of all people.

having you give him a bit of your love that you were so hesitant to be generous with.

he felt special, he felt loved. he felt everything and more every time you'd been generous to him with the affections you were so hesitant to share, and he'd fall for you harder every time you did.

kuroo sits on the edge of your bed, swiping through his phone as he waits for you to get ready. it felt domestic, it felt like the starting line of a life he could only wish to have with you.

you peak your head through the bathroom door, chiding, "did you get the toilet paper?"

"hm?" he hums, looking up from his screen, and he shakes his head. "oh, no."

"i thought you went to go get groceries." you say, stepping out into your room, shuddering as the cold hits you, and you wish that you'd worn warmer clothes.

"i did," kuroo nods, "just not the toilet paper."

you look at him, confused, and you take a step towards his direction. he grins, seeing you approach him, your hair still wet and a flushed red staining your cheeks from the chill.

he's always thought you were attractive, but this look has never failed to leave him breathless.

"what? why?" you frown, raising a brow, and you joke, "are we mad at the toilet paper company now?"

"i don't think so," your boyfriend shakes his head, his grin softening into a smile as you place a hand on his face, "i just forgot."

your hands were cold.

"what do you mean you forgot?" you ask him.

"oh, you poor idiot," kuroo looks at you, faking a dramatic sigh, "i forgot means i didn't remember."

you laugh, rolling your eyes, "you're not funny."

"so you're dating me for my looks?" his grin is wide, and you shove his face a bit with the hand you used to caress it.

you tell him, smiling, "i'm going to kill you."

"for teaching you basic words?" he replies, quick, tone condescending, and there's a chortle every now and then that he can't hold back, "how will your lawyer defend you in court? that's not even a proper enough reason to ask for a plea deal."

you're confident, "i would get away with it." he laughs.

you didn't say 'i love you' often, he'd always think he's lucky to hear you say it whenever you did, but he never held that against you, not when he knows that that only made it more special, not when he knows you've got those words reserved just for him.

he takes your hand in his and places it back to the corner of his face, "and i would let you."

you pull his face close to yours, you blow air on his nose, and he tells you to cut it out, you laugh, then you stare, smile on your face as warm as ever, and you close the gap into a kiss.

it was sweet — knowing that you love him, knowing that he loves you, and you two didn't have to say it.

kuroo pulls away, "i'll get the toilet paper next time." he says, his arms taking hold of your hips, and he hugs you close, your hands brushing through his hair, and his face comfortably resting on your middle.

content.

he grins, biting on his lip as he teases, "do you know what next time means?"

you push kuroo off, telling him to go jump off a bridge, he laughs, and he says he wouldn't jump off anywhere without you, you tell him to shut up, and he laughs even harder.

he watches you smile, remnants of laughter in your features, and he feels his heart in his throat. there's silence in the air and it only breaks when you tell him how much of an idiot he is, and he's smart to know, smart to hear, the unspoken 'i love you' in your words.

it was sweet.