✶ 16: kuroo - slow

when kuroo first told you he loved you, he didn't really mind that you didn't say it back. he knew that you took your time with this, and he was grateful that you asked him to wait instead of just pushing him away.

love was slow— gradual, and he was willing to wait, for however long, just for him to hear you say it when you were finally ready, but he's just so glad, so relieved, so happy that he finally told you how he felt, so comforted that you allowed him to love you, even if you did need a bit more time.

the afternoon left as soon as it came, practice ran late again and you've been so kind and generous to offer to wait for kuroo as the club was left to clean up the gym. really, he insisted you didn't have to.

"just a little longer." he tells you, watching from the side as the rest of his team help clean up.

you hum, nodding. "it's fine."

"lev's been really riling up kenma," he grins, chuckling a bit as he subtly pointed to the two mentioned, he lets out a sigh, amused, "never thought i'd see him be so expressive."

you agree, nodding, with a strained laugh, you look at him, "ah well, you know how they are."

he looks down to you, his grin forming into a genuine smile as he does so, and he recalls, not for the first time, how grateful he is for you.

he sighs again, a bit shy as he watches you gaze up at him, he tells you, "this'll probably take another thirty minutes, you can sit by the bench if you want."

he watches you hum to his words, fiddling with your shirt ends, and you open your mouth as if you had something else to say— you looked nervous, he finds it charming.

kuroo hesitates to leave your side, ignoring yaku's yells saying that he should help clean up too, and before he could even move another step away from you, you reach out, hand soft, hand warm.

you voice is quiet, wobbly, "i will, i just - you know," now, you were really nervous.

"well," you decide you'd rather get it over with rather than just worsening your anxiety, your voice calm, completely contrasting the heavy beating in your chest, "i love you."

he doesn't say anything — kuroo is, to your delight, left speechless to what you just said. that doesn't mean you miss the way his neck and ears started to furiously redden, and by the looks of it, you're unsure if your words have even fully set yet.

you smile, heart full, "i'll go wait by the bench."