✶ 14: atsumu - champagne problems

"i think i just got dumped," atsumu says, his voice blunt, and he stares expressionless at osamu in front of him, quite unsure of what to do or say.

the two of you broke up less than three hours ago, time long forgotten as he desperately grasped at straws to figure out a reason why.

this was always a nightmare of his - you leaving him behind. he never told you, but it gradually became one of his worst fears to lose you over something so trivial.

he'd dreamt and he dreaded every worst case scenario in the book, there were nights he'd wake up in cold sweat after dreaming that you just got up and told him you were sick of him, nights he'd pull you so close and so tight in an embrace that he wished you could feel him asking you to stay.

atsumu doesn't understand what happened. it'd been such a nice night with you, the first he's gotten after he joined MSBY jackals, the first in such a grueling long period away from your affections.

he blinks, recalling the events of the night he planned to go so perfectly. dinner reservations, candles by the window, a slow dance that you always seemed to love - the whole shindig, where did it go wrong — where did he go wrong?

osamu frowns, staring at his brother, "did the two of you fight?"

atsumu shakes his head.

he looks back three hours before he found himself walking to his brother's house, the way he smiled at you, the kind of smile that radiated so much love, the kind of smile that only you ever brought out of him.

he remembers how he took your hand in his to the beat of a song, looking at you like you were coming up for fresh air.

he remembers how he felt doing all that - he remembers being loved.

he wonders if this is how the prince from cinderella must've felt like; being with the one person that made you feel your heart in your throat all night only to have them pull away and leave at the stroke of midnight.

he recalls, so horribly vivid, how it felt to have you drop his hand.

atsumu draws a breath, "i proposed."