✶ 10: atsumu - romance

you and atsumu were teetering on the edge of romance.

having known each other for years, it only made sense that by now, one of you would be ready to admit how you felt for each other, especially since it was so painfully obvious, but no, the two of you wanted to wait - unsure why, but it just never felt like the right time or the right place to ever bring something up.

it used to be cute, the playful flirting that both of you just brushed off as banter. but now? after years of just playful flirting? atsumu's ready to jump the gun.

he knew you liked him back and you knew he liked you, what was there to wait for? (osamu pointed out once that the two of you already acted like a couple unaware of their relationship, and that night, osamu got locked out of their shared bedroom.)

"so uhm," you say, eyes glancing at the quiet sky, a bit nervous, though you're unsure, "you know that guy from the soccer club? - kyoka?"

atsumu feels like rolling his eyes.

"the scrub that's been hanging off ya for weeks?" his tone is annoyed, irritation lacing in his voice, he bites, "i know him."

you look at him, shrugging, "he asked me out."

"did you say yes?" he asks you, eyeing you down on your sit and you push him away when he got too close.

your voice is quiet, asking him, "should i?"

atsumu looks at you, shifting in his seat as he watches you stare back at him - expectantly - and he wonders, if this is the right time to finally be bold with the words he's practically memorized saying to you.

'no you shouldn't, because you barely know him, and if you'd ever go out with anyone, it should be me, because we have, and always will, make the most sense together.'

words he'd practice in the mirror every morning, words he'd recite to himself just so when he finally told you it'd be nothing but perfect - words he now suddenly forgot at the way you stared him down.

did you always look this intimidating?

he looks away, "you can do what ya want, ya know."

fucking hell, how the hell did he say that instead of the one thing he always thinks about when he's with you?

"atsumu," you frown, raising your voice, "you're a goddamn idiot!"

he grits his teeth, "who the hell ya calling an idiot?"

"you! idiot!" you say back, yelling.

"you're the idiot here! you know how i'd feel about this and you still asked me!" he's trying not to yell at you, wondering a bit if you were doing this intentionally.

you scowl, "because!"

"because what?" he challenges.

"because you suck," you tell him, sighing, tired of raising your voice and you laugh, "you're way too slow."

atsumu grins at you, he laughs, you tell him he shouldn't, not when you were insulting him, and he tells you, "i am too slow, aren't i?"

he looks at you, remnants of laughter still in his expression, and he tries - he's trying - to keep the beating in his chest down.

"gosh well," you groan, getting up from your seat, "i'm gonna go have a very awkward conversation with kyoka now."

he nods, smile dangling off his face, cheeks still warm like they usually are when he's with you.

"hey ya idiot!" atsumu calls out to you before you leave too far off his range, you look back at him, a playful scowl on your face at what he called you, and he smiles, "ya better not turn me down when i ask you out."

you laugh, "we'll see!"