✶ 18: kuroo - lying

"i don't like him for you." kuroo tells you, his glance up in the sky as the two of you walked, barely even sparing you a look as he says this.

you snort, shrugging, "trust me, i know." you say, and you recall the numerous times your boyfriend made futile attempts to get on your best friend's good side.

kuroo had been— difficult. he had trouble coming to terms that you were finally in a relationship, and for the first time, he knew what it felt like to experience pure envy.

not that he'd ever say it to your face, but he's so jealous— jealous of you and your putrid happiness, jealous of you and how easy it was for you to move forward, and jealous of him for having been the first to tell you how much he loved you when he's the one that's been doing it for so much longer.

his voice is quiet, still avoiding your gaze, and he sighs, "he isn't good enough."

"he's a good guy," you tell him, your tone soft, gentle, as if trying to reason with him, and he looks to you to see your expression just as warm, "he loves me."

"can you believe that?" you hum, smiling, and kuroo is unsure of what to feel or say as the only expression that adorned your features was so warm, so smitten, "i've been loved."

he can believe that. he's been doing it for years, and he hates, despises, that a guy you barely knew beat him to saying it.

he feels like throwing up. he feels like yelling. he feels so many things all at once and they all resonate with the same fact that he's so, so angry. angry at you, angry at your boyfriend, angry at the world, angry at himself.

if only he'd been quicker to admit that he loved you, loved you so much more than the other guy, loved you so much more than he could say.

you look to him, "please try to like him."

he won't, he can't, he'd rather cut off his own arm than admit defeatbut he can lie.

he wasn't going to ruin this for you.

kuroo puts on a grin, "only because you asked."