ELUSIVE (Book 2)

By hidden_1nk

Sawyer & Opal, how it starts. More

CHAPTER 1
CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER 3
CHAPTER 4
CHAPTER 5
CHAPTER 6
CHAPTER 7
CHAPTER 8
CHAPTER 9
CHAPTER 10
CHAPTER 11
CHAPTER 12
CHAPTER 13
CHAPTER 14
CHAPTER 15
CHAPTER 16
CHAPTER 17
CHAPTER 18
CHAPTER 19
CHAPTER 20
CHAPTER 21
CHAPTER 22
CHAPTER 23
CHAPTER 24
CHAPTER 25
CHAPTER 26
CHAPTER 27
CHAPTER 28
CHAPTER 29
CHAPTER 30
CHAPTER 31
CHAPTER 32
CHAPTER 33
CHAPTER 34
CHAPTER 35
CHAPTER 36
CHAPTER 37
CHAPTER 38
CHAPTER 39
CHAPTER 40
CHAPTER 41
CHAPTER 42
CHAPTER 43
CHAPTER 44
CHAPTER 45
CHAPTER 46
CHAPTER 47
CHAPTER 48
CHAPTER 49
CHAPTER 50
CHAPTER 51
CHAPTER: 52
CHAPTER 54
CHAPTER 55
CHAPTER 56
CHAPTER 57
CHAPTER 58
CHAPTER 59
CHAPTER 60
CHAPTER 61
CHAPTER 62
CHAPTER 63
CHAPTER 64
CHAPTER 65
CHAPTER 66
CHAPTER 67
CHAPTER 68
CHAPTER 69
CHAPTER 70
CHAPTER 71
CHAPTER 72
CHAPTER 73
CHAPTER 74
CHAPTER 75
CHAPTER 76
CHAPTER 77
CHAPTER 78
CHAPTER 79
CHAPTER 80
CHAPTER 81
CHAPTER 82
CHAPTER 83
CHAPTER 84
CHAPTER 85
CHAPTER 86
CHAPTER 87
CHAPTER 88
CHAPTER 89
CHAPTER 90
CHAPTER 91
CHAPTER 92
CHAPTER 93
CHAPTER 94
CHAPTER 95

CHAPTER 53

103 17 2
By hidden_1nk

Jospeh turns to me and rushes over to me. "I know. I know. It's okay. He told me everything. It's all going to be okay." Joseph tries soothing me but everything he's saying sounds muffled.

I close my eyes and let my tears go, I'm too late. He saw me and just left. I pull from Jospeh's grip and turn away to walk out of the room.

Dinner rolls by and everyone is sitting by the table. It's more quiet than usual. I don't hear the usual whispers of Sawyer and Evan talking privately in the corner. I don't feel the constant side eyes Sawyers always throwing me or the kind eyes I sometimes catch. The atmosphere is just different. As far as I can tell only Jospeh and Evan know the truth about time traveling. Avery is a little oblivious to it all.

"Why are you all so quiet today?" Avery questions all of us. We all eye each other. Evan coughs quietly before talking,

"It's Monday?" He questions more than answers. Jospeh snorts at his remark, Avery rolls her eyes.

"You guys are acting like Sawyer is never coming back. He literally just went on a trip out of the country. He won't be back for a couple of weeks." She shrugs, shoving a spoonful of food into her mouth.

"Is that true, a couple of weeks?" I question, looking back and forth between Evan and Jospeh.

"Could be more. Longer." Jospeh replies with a slight shrug and I shrink back into my chair.

"It will be good for him to be gone for a while. The stress of whatever weight of the world he carries can't be good." She smiles at me.

"What is he doing traveling anyway?" I question, again eyeing both Joseph and Evan. I try getting as much information out.

"Business." Both of them reply at the same time.

"What kind of business?"

"Family business." Evan jumps in before Jospeh can answer. I eye them both suspiciously. "That's enough questions for today." Evan starts to get up but Jospeh stops him.

"I have some news." Jospeh says and Evan slowly sits back down.

"As you guys know, I've been enlisted into the military. I start training in three days. I'll be heading back to the states." He drops the bomb. All of us are quiet. I don't think Sawyer told him anything about that day in the desert.

Avery smiles and claps. "I'm so excited. You've been wanting to do this your whole life."

"Congrats, brother." Evan smiles. I glare at all of them. Jospeh breathes out and turns to me.

"You're leaving me to." I say standing up, dropping my fork on the plate. I'm trying to be supportive and happy for him but I just can't, knowing what's ahead for him. And I especially don't want to make this about me.

"Just for nine weeks." He says.

"Opal, you should be proud." Avery reprimands.

"I am. It's just...." I look back at Jospeh a small frown on his lips as he watches me. I breathe out, "I'm happy for you." I plaster on a smile and sit back down. I'm not hungry anymore and as soon as Evan excuses himself, so do I.

I slip into my room and draw my anger away. I remember the way Sawyer would look down at me. The shy smile he does right before he kisses me. I draw that moment, not ever wanting to forget it.

A few knocks at the door draw me out of my thoughts and I quickly close my journal and hide it.

"Opal. It's me." Jospeh softly says after knocking again. I look up at the ceiling and breathe out.

"Come in." I say and I hear the door swing open and Jospeh is standing there. He awkwardly stands by the door and places his hands into his pockets. He takes a look around the room.

"Uh, nice place." He smiles still acting awkward and I nod. "We need to talk." He continues and I nod again. There isn't much he can say. He claps his hands awkwardly before slowly letting himself in.

"I don't know where to start." He breathes out nervously. "I just want you to know I'm not leaving you or abandoning you. It's that all of this is happening at the wrong time. I didn't mean to spring it onto like that." He looks at me.

I pull my blanket closer to me.

"I don't want you to go." I say after a long silence. He grabs my hand and squeezes it.

"Opal. We've been over this. You nor Sawyer will never change my mind." He squeezes my hand again but I pull away.

"Please." I beg, resorting to crying but I know it won't help.

"You have to come visit me. Evan has agreed to that." He smiles, but I look away.

"Everyone is leaving me. You can't leave me." I croak, hiccuping as I cry like a baby.

"I'm coming back." He laughs at how dramatic I'm being.

"Ten weeks is an eon away." I complain.

"Nine. Nine weeks. It will be here before you know it." He corrects and I roll my eyes.

"Like that's any better." I smile. I stop crying and try to understand his point of view. He scoots me over and sits beside me. "You'll call when you can?" I question.

"I'll try." He says and I nod. I share some of my blanket with Joseph.

"Are you scared?" I question and he chuckles.

"For training? No." He pauses and I look up at him. He creases his eyebrows, deep in though. "For deployment, I'm not sure." He shrugs.

"I have work tomorrow. I can't hang out with you." I frown.

"I'll drop by and order something."

"Really?" I perk up, at least try to. Sleep wants to take over.

The old grandfather clock they have in the living room starts chiming throughout the house. Looks like I dozed off after Josephs talk. I try to jump up startled but something is holding me down.

"What the hell is going on?" Jospeh wakes up, his sleepy voice confused. He realizes we're on the same bed together and he quickly gets up. "I guessed we dozed off." He rubs the back of his head.

I'm only focused on trying to turn off the damn noise. I rush out into the living room and Evan is already there. The clock wide open as he grunts trying to turn it off.

"This stupid clock hasn't gone on in years." Evan exasperates. "It's five in the morning!" He shouts at the clock, kicking it slightly. Joseph is just sitting on the couch, staring tiredly into space. The only person not awake is Avery. She is a heavy sleeper if this is not waking her up.

I go up to the loud blaring of the clock and stop the pendulum from swinging and something falls out. The clock stops it's noise.

Evan picks up the letter. "Wake up. Don't forget you have work." Evan reads out loud.

"What?" I question, confused.

"It's from Sawyer. You have work again today?" Evan asks and I nod.

So even when Sawyer isn't here, he still finds a way to mess with me.

"Looks like he planted this before he left."

"Why? It's five hours too early." I lift my hand to my head in disappointment.

"And I thought I was going to treasure my time without Sawyer." Joseph grunts.

"Everyone go back to sleep." Evan says. I don't think twice and go back to sleep.

Work is slow. I opened shop today. Lola the bakery shop owner is in the back making bread. I'm on cash register duty. When it's almost noon and no one seems to be coming in I go to the back.

"Lola, can I take a break?" I ask and she shoos me away nodding. I leave the store to walk around town. I need to get a going away present for Jospeh.

I stop by a traveling shop and I see a Hawaiian themed shirt. I have to get it. I quickly purchase it and head back.

A couple of hours pass by and as we're about to close shop Joseph walks in.

"You can't be doing that." Lola reprimands, referring to him coming in right at closing time.

"If Sawyer was here." Jospeh playfully argues.

"Sawyer is a sweet and handsome boy with respect." She scowls at him and Jospeh gives me the 'she doesn't really know Sawyer' look and I snort.

"And you, you snort like pig all day. What's so funny?" She turns to me and my eyes widen.

"Lola. This is why you have no customers." Jospeh laughs and she starts cursing as she walks to the back.

"She's upset because I missed a few days. Sawyer helped her pay off my timing." I tell him and he nods. His present is hiding behind the counter and I'm glad I brought my bag.

"I'm here to pick you up, but first hot cholesterol and a chocolate muffin." His fingers drum on the counter.

"Milk or dark chocolate?" I question.

"Milk." He walks over to a table. I feel a little nervous that he's watching me.

"What do you think Sawyer is doing?" I question as I pour the hot drink into a cup. I add a few marshmallows and chocolate chips, finishing it off with whip cream.

"Probably getting into trouble. Or getting tattoos." He adds after a long pause. I nod, not really knowing the trouble part.

"Be careful it's hot." I hand him his hot chocolate and his muffin.

I sit in front of him. He takes a sip and looks at me. I shrink into my seat. It's terrible I know it.

"Wow." He says and I shrink further not able to tell where this is going. "You've improved. It's not watery." He says and I sigh in relief.

"Lola has taught me." I smile.

"Ready to go?" He says eating the muffin in one bite. I nod, watching him gobble down his food.

"What do you think Sawyer is doing?" He questions and I think hard about this one.

"He's probably meeting a lot of people. New girls. Making friends." I shrug. I honestly don't know, he can be doing all sorts of things.

"Jealous, Opal?" Joseph turns to me as we walk out. I forget the present and to let Lola know I'm leaving.

"I am not." I say and rush back inside before he can see my face turning red. "Lola, I'm leaving see you on the weekend." I shout, grabbing the present and put it in my bag.

"Goodbye darling!" She shouts right back. 

Jospeh is waiting for me and I smile. "Let's go. I'm freezing." He pulls me to the car.

I spend as much time with Jospeh as humanly possible. We all, including Evan and Avery had a pizza party day. We ate a bunch of snacks until we felt like throwing up and we all slept in the living room watching movies. It's weird. Every time I would think about Jospeh leaving during my time with him my eyes would instantly water and I would have to hide my sadness.

It's finally the morning of his training day. It's quiet, more quiet than usual. I head downstairs ready to face Jospeh. At least as ready as I'll ever be.

"Morning." I half smile, but no one hears me. Everyone is rushing around. Evan is talking to Joseph and Avery is shouting at Joseph.

They all stop and turn to me when they realize I'm standing there. Jospeh smiles at me, he's already in uniform.

"You look good." I smile. Joseph frowns slightly as he wipes away the tear I tried so hard to keep in.

"Thank you." He whispers.

"Toothbrush. And don't forget to pack more underwear!" Avery shouts. Jospeh rolls his eyes at me because of Avery's screaming and moves to the side to get his suitcase.

"Avery just be quiet. We're not kids going on a camping trip anymore." Jospeh argues.

"I know you're forgetting something." She looks around check marking things on her list.

"Let's go." Evan says and pushes all of us out of the house.

We're all in the car except Avery.

"She's going to make us late." Joseph complains.

"Should have just let her pack for you." Evan shrugs.

I hold Joseph's hand and lean on his shoulder. I feel his head on mine and I close my eyes. 

"I knew it. I just knew it." Avery gets into the car. "Forgetting something Joseph?" She holds up his wallet and passport.

"Thanks." I feel him reach for his things.

"Admit it. You both need me." She pulls back and Jospeh rolls his eyes before snatching them from her hand.

The airport isn't that far from where we are. The walk inside the airport is eerily quiet. I think we're all dreading Joseph leaving.

We're near the security and we can't pass that point. We watch as Joseph stares beyond the checkpoint. He finally breathes out and turns to us. He smiles at Evan and they both go in for a hug. No exchange of words just a simple nod from both before he moves onto Avery. She laughs trying not to cry. They both stand there awkwardly,

"Oh come on. I won't bite." She laughs as she cry's pulling him in. They hug each other and she kisses him on the cheek. "Don't do anything stupid." She warns. I'm not sure if Avery knows this but she's the mom of the group.

Joseph turns to me and my stomach sinks. I smile at him and he walks over to me.

"Nine weeks." He smiles, trying to assure me that nine weeks isn't forever. I nod. He goes in for a hug and I hug him and don't let go. I hear him softly laugh in my ear and I hesitantly pull away.

"I'll miss you guys." He says and starts walking off.

"Wait, wait." I rush after him. He turns to me and I accident bump into him, he steadies me.

"I forgot to give you this." I pull out the wrapped up shirt. He opens it and places it against him.

"I'm going to California. Not Hawaii." He laughs making fun of the Hawaiian themed shirt and I shrug.

"They both have beaches." I roll my eyes.

"I have something for you to." He unzips his bag and also pulls out a shirt. I put it against me and laugh. It's a shirt with his face on it. "So you won't miss me too much." His proud smile makes me stick out my tongue.

"I'll be waiting for you on this side and everyday after that." I hug him again.

"Bye." He whispers after my long lasting hug.

"Bye." I slip up and try not to cry.

He walks away without turning back.

We wait until he's no longer in sight and when Avery hugs me I break down.

"Let's go out to eat." Evan says.

"It's gonna be okay. They're both going to be back before you know it." She smiles and I nod. She guides me and we follow Evan out of the airport.

We stop by an Italian restaurant, a high end one. I almost don't feel comfortable sitting at such an expensive table. Midway through eating and laughing Evan clears his throat.

"I don't think Sawyer let you know the details of everything. But we are moving." Evan looks at me and I turn to Avery.

"What, again?" She questions. "I just got comfortable."

"It's safer if we keep moving." Evan looks at her.

"Where?" I question.

"Europe." He says and I nod. I'm not surprised.  I take a bite out of my food.

"I was expecting a crying fest from the both of you." Evan says with slight surprise.

Avery kicks him from under the table.  "It's just another house. Home and family is wherever  we are." She rolls her eyes.

"When are we leaving?" I interrupt their flirty banter.

"By the end of this week. I expect you two to be packed and ready." He seriously states as he takes a bite of food.

"Europe. Oh the possibilities. All the cute men." She turns to me and wiggles her eyebrows.

Evan chokes on his food and glares at Avery who sticks out her tongue.

"Not for me you big oaf, for Opal."

"I'm sure Opal has her eyes set on someone." Evan looks at me and I quickly look down at my food. I can't help my face getting hot making my face turn red.

"Hey maybe we will run into Sawyer." Avery says and I nod agreeing. We won't be running into Sawyer anytime soon. "It's exciting, don't you think?" Avery asks and I nod.

"Ice cream?" Evan asks and we nod. We head out,

"It's freezing out. Let me get my coat from the car." She runs to the car.

"Does Sawyer know where we will be staying?" I question, before Avery comes back.

"I'm sure he'll figure it out." Evan says and that doesn't make me feel at ease.

"Opal, what flavor are you getting?" Avery loops her arm in mine.

"Hmm not sure. I have to see the flavors." I tell her and she smiles. 

The next morning the house feels emptier.

"Morning, Darling." Jethro greets me. I almost forgot about him. "No morning hug?"

"I thought you died." I smile at him.

"Cranky, cranky." He tuts. "Where is everyone?" He asks as I pour myself cereal.

"Not here." I inwardly smirk. Jethro is a grade A asshole sleaze bag. So he gets the worse responses from me.

Evan walks in, "Oh good, you're here. Deal with your cousin." I quickly walk out of the kitchen with my cereal bowl in hand.

"She loves me. I know it." I hear Jethro say and I roll my eyes. 

"Jethro is staying here to take care of the house." Avery scrunches her nose in disgust. "The amount of things he's done to his family for money and he gets to stay here for free. What a blood sucking leech." She rolls her eyes.

"He doesn't know Jospeh and Sawyer are gone?" I whisper and she nods.

"I don't think anyone knows." She whispers back. "And knowing Jethro he'll do something to ruin that. Especially for Joseph." She glares into the kitchen.

"Why is he still here?" I complain.

"They abandon family quick. So they're using him for something. Haven't figured it out yet." She pats me on the shoulder and heads to the kitchen.

I get dressed for my last day of work. Evan told me to say my goodbyes so that is what I'm doing.

The bakery is full of people today. I quickly put on my apron and help with orders. By the time we switch the sign to close, we both slump to the floor.

"My goodness. Now that was a lot of people." Lola says as she pretends to wipe sweat of her forehead.

I breathe out trying to puff away the one strand of curl in front of my eyes.

"The most I've seen." I laugh.

"Mm." She agrees. I get up and help pull her up.

"Today is my last day." I blurt out and she nods.

"Sawyer told me you guys would be moving." She frowns.

"I wish I can stay. I love working here." I tell her and she squints her eyes suspiciously.

"If you're going to lie, be better at it." She laughs.

"I learned a lot. I'm going to miss standing by the cashier for hours." I pause as I take in the place. "And I'm going to miss you." I tell her. "Thank you for teaching me." I smile.

She grunts, "Oh." She tries shooing me away. "Tu vas me faire pleurer." She says, sounding a bit angry. (French: You're going to make me cry)

I laugh and hug her. She surprised at first but eventually gives in.

"Take care now. And take care of Sawyer for me." She pats my back.

"I will."

"Here. Take some." She hands me a bag full of pastries. "Don't stop baking. Entraine toi." She says. (French: Practice)

"Je vais essayer." I tell her and she smiles. (French: I will try) She waves me goodbye and I take the apron with me for keepsake.

I almost expect Sawyer waiting for me outside but I'm met with a cold burst of air.

"Wait." Lola calls out. I turn to her confused. "Sawyer wanted me to give you this."

I grab the letter from her hand and my heart beats faster.

"Hurry home. It's freezing out." She says and walks back inside.

———————————————————————
Hey everyone!

Hope everyone is staying safe! I'm going to try to do a double update (: ❤️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

760K 26.5K 74
"𝐘𝐨𝐮'𝐫𝐞 𝐭𝐨𝐨 𝐩𝐮𝐫𝐞 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐥𝐝 𝐈 𝐥𝐢𝐯𝐞 𝐢𝐧, 𝐌𝐲 𝐝𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐭." ╰┈➤ 〔 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡 𝐚𝐧 𝐢𝐧𝐧𝐨𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐛𝐚𝐤𝐞𝐫...
405 100 14
"How could something this innocent, become this dark... "
624 149 35
An adventure story
15.7K 423 26
It starts off with the cliche parents death, abusive brother/pack, rejected by mate, runs away to different pack, mate gets mate.