ELUSIVE (Book 2)

By hidden_1nk

Sawyer & Opal, how it starts. More

CHAPTER 1
CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER 3
CHAPTER 4
CHAPTER 5
CHAPTER 6
CHAPTER 7
CHAPTER 8
CHAPTER 9
CHAPTER 10
CHAPTER 11
CHAPTER 12
CHAPTER 13
CHAPTER 14
CHAPTER 15
CHAPTER 16
CHAPTER 17
CHAPTER 18
CHAPTER 19
CHAPTER 20
CHAPTER 21
CHAPTER 22
CHAPTER 23
CHAPTER 24
CHAPTER 25
CHAPTER 26
CHAPTER 27
CHAPTER 28
CHAPTER 29
CHAPTER 30
CHAPTER 31
CHAPTER 32
CHAPTER 33
CHAPTER 34
CHAPTER 35
CHAPTER 36
CHAPTER 37
CHAPTER 38
CHAPTER 39
CHAPTER 40
CHAPTER 41
CHAPTER 42
CHAPTER 43
CHAPTER 44
CHAPTER 45
CHAPTER 46
CHAPTER 47
CHAPTER 48
CHAPTER 49
CHAPTER 50
CHAPTER 51
CHAPTER 53
CHAPTER 54
CHAPTER 55
CHAPTER 56
CHAPTER 57
CHAPTER 58
CHAPTER 59
CHAPTER 60
CHAPTER 61
CHAPTER 62
CHAPTER 63
CHAPTER 64
CHAPTER 65
CHAPTER 66
CHAPTER 67
CHAPTER 68
CHAPTER 69
CHAPTER 70
CHAPTER 71
CHAPTER 72
CHAPTER 73
CHAPTER 74
CHAPTER 75
CHAPTER 76
CHAPTER 77
CHAPTER 78
CHAPTER 79
CHAPTER 80
CHAPTER 81
CHAPTER 82
CHAPTER 83
CHAPTER 84
CHAPTER 85
CHAPTER 86
CHAPTER 87
CHAPTER 88
CHAPTER 89
CHAPTER 90
CHAPTER 91
CHAPTER 92
CHAPTER 93
CHAPTER 94
CHAPTER 95

CHAPTER: 52

126 16 15
By hidden_1nk

"So do you really think ghost exist?" Jospeh asks. I look up from reading my book. I'm reading a collection of ghost stories. He's staring at the book and shivers.

"Yes. You don't?" I question, closing the book. I sit up and lean on a pillow.

"No." He shakes his head aggressively. He sits on the couch across from me.

"Then why do you sound terrified?" I raise a questioning eyebrow.

"It's creepy to think about." He shrugs.

"Is this place haunted?" I look around. It is an old house but turned modern.

"No. No don't even start." He looks around. He seems freaked out just thinking about it. Sawyer walks in,

"Morning." He greets which startles Jospeh. Sawyer eyes him, before he can say something mean I stand up.

"Well, my morning is ruined." I direct that comment to Sawyer and walk out of the room.

"Wait, Opal." I hear Jospeh following after me. "Do you believe in big foot?" He questions. I giggle at the question.

"No. Do you?" I ask as we walk out back. It's a chilly day and it might snow later on.

"Yes. Big foot has to be real." He tries saying without laughing.

We both sit down on the bench. "Aliens?" I question.

"No." He swiftly says.

"I think I've seen a UFO once. I think." I laugh at the memory.

"I don't believe you."

"You believe in big foot more than ghost, there is more evidence for ghost than big foot." I playfully argue.

"It makes sense." He shrugs.

I roll my eyes laughing at his logic. I sigh and look down at the book I'm still holding. We're both quiet.

"About yesterday," Jospeh starts. Here he goes, apologizing for Sawyer again. I look up at him,

"It's nothing. Moment of weakness. He said something." I stop not really wanting to talk about it. Not wanting to say his words hurt.

"Sawyers an absolute asshole and I don't think he's ever going to change. I'm sorry that he said those things." He grabs my hand and I let him.

"It's okay. I'm okay." I nod, trying to convince myself. Once again Sawyer walks out looking for Jospeh.

"Where the hell did you go? I take one phone call and the moment I hang up you're gone." Sawyer rolls his eyes.

"Wish you'd be gone..." I mutter. They both capture what I say. Jospeh turns to me shocked, Sawyer on the other hand tries to ignore me but the crease between his eyebrows tells me I got to him.

"We need to talk." Sawyer stands taller and by the tone of his voice I know it's serious. I don't wait to be told to leave, I walk away. I make sure to bump into Sawyer, he doesn't expect it. He stands his ground and I barley make him move. I don't look back but I'm sure I'm met with a glare.

I sit around the kitchen island. I'm still able to see them.

"That's weird." Avery walks in. She watches Sawyer and Jospeh interact.

"What?" I ask confused my eyes never leaving them.

"I haven't seen them laugh in a while." She sadly shrugs.

I look back at her and at them. Sawyer says something that causes Jospeh to laugh hysterically. Jospeh catches me staring through the glass door and waves. I can't help but smile at how happy he looks and wave back at him. Sawyer turns and as soon as he sees me a frown immediately replaces his lips.

Sawyer says something to Jospeh and they both walk away.

"Must be serious." Avery grabs a snack from the pantry.

"What do you mean?"

"If it's something not that serious Sawyer sends Evan. If it's something serious Sawyer does it himself." She shrugs again, "I don't know just something I picked up on." She says almost embarrassed.

I watch as they walk further away. I get this anxious feeling in my stomach and I can't seem to concentrate on anything.

"Ready?" Evan walks into the room. In his usual button up suit, combed hair and elegant stance. I turn to Avery who hides what she's eating.

"I told you not to eat. The restaurant isn't that far." He teases her. I look between them. Avery is wearing a beautiful black silk dress. I'm so preoccupied with my own thoughts I didn't even notice she is all dressed up.

"Where are you two going?" I question. Avery turns to me with a smile,

"On a date." She squeals.

"Let Sawyer know we will be gone for a couple of hours." Evan says as they both walk out on me.

"And then there were none." I whisper. Maybe today should be a movie day with a bunch of snacks.

The kitchen sliding door opens, startling me. Only Sawyer walks in.

"Oh great. You're back." I roll my eyes.

"Do you have a problem?" Sawyer turns to me angrily.

"Where's Joseph?" I ask, completely ignoring his question. I'm getting worried. 

"On his way." Sawyer doesn't look at me. He starts whipping up something to eat. It doesn't take long for the kitchen to start smelling like the sweet aroma of sloppy joes.

My stomach growls and I quickly turn to Sawyer who has a small smirk on his face. He knows what he's doing.

"Where is Jospeh?" I ask again. It's been fifteen minutes.

"Out."

"Our where?" I question. He tastes a fork full of the sloppy goodness and his eyes instantly close.

"Mmm so good." He dramatically says. I restrain myself from asking to try it.

"I'm sure you don't make it as good as Evan."

Sawyer laughs at what I say.

"I think you're forgetting who has made it for you all those times."

"It was you?" I gasp, not believing.

He mockingly smiles. 

The smell makes me walk closer, but I stop myself.

"Want some?" He shoves some on a plate and passes it over my nose.

"Not if it's coming from you." I try to angrily say but my eyes stay glued to the food. I push it away which causes him to shrug.

The sliding glass door catches both of our attention. Jospeh walks in.

"Where were you? I thought Sawyer might have killed you." I run up to Jospeh hugging the life out of him. I don't feel him laughing and look up at him. He's staring at Sawyer. One look into his eyes tells me everything. Sadness.

"What's wrong?" I question, pulling away from him. As soon as he hears me talking he snaps out of whatever sadness trance he was in.

"Nothing." He quickly smiles, "What did I miss?"

"Oh nothing, just Sawyer trying to murder me next."

I feel tension. I walk back to the dining table, feeling awkward. Where is Avery when you need her?

"If I wanted both of you dead it would take seconds. No. Time. To. Save. Yourself." He almost sounds like he's joking but the way he says it makes it feel more like a threat. He hands us both a plate of sloppy Joe's.

"Do you ever stop?" Joseph slams his hand on the table. He's looking at Sawyer. "You just keep going. Both of you." He turns to me, all his pent up anger finally coming out. "You push on each others buttons until one of you gets hurt. It's an endless fucking cycle. Grow up!" His voice rises. He aggressively takes his plate and walks out of the room.

"Jospeh. Wait." I get up trying to go after him but Sawyer holds me in place.

"Just let him. He needs to be alone." Sawyer calmly says.

"And I need to be alone." I pull away from his grip. "Especially from you."

"You've been at it the whole day with your stupid snide remarks."

I guess it's one of those days where we have petty arguments.

"What are you talking about?" I cross my arms.

"Don't play dumb. I know what you're doing."

"And what am I doing?" I recross my arms.

"Oh piss off and stop being so fucking irritating."

"Or what?" I continue to challenge. His mood suddenly changes. He stands there staring at me, contemplating his next move.

He slowly stalks over to me. Eventually he hovers over me. I glare up at him and he leans in,

"Or I'll make you." He whispers. I know he can hear how hard I just swallowed and how fast my heart is beating.

I do the only logical thing and I punch him on the nose. It catches him off guard. He moans in pain. I realize what I've just done and run up to him.

"I'm sorry. Are you okay? I didn't mean that." He glares at me through his fingers. "You're bleeding. You're bleeding." I panic.

"It's fine. Get me a wet rag." He points to a random kitchen drawer and I grab the first rag I see. I hand it to him and he tries stopping his bleeding. He finally turns to me his head still look at the ceiling.

"What the hell?" He gasps as the initial shock runs out.

"I don't know I'm sorry." I feel bad, I didn't think I could punch him that hard. It was an accident an impulse. It was my defense mechanism.

"It's fine." He sits down on a chair. He closes his eyes as he holds the rag to his nose. "Get dressed." He says.

"What?" I question.

"Get dressed." He says again this time opening one eye to look at me.

"Why?"

"We're leaving."

"But you're hurt."

"Opal, please. Just get dressed." He pleads, and his calm nice voice causes me to listen. For someone who is in pain sure is being nice.

"Fine." I quickly change into warmer clothes. Black jeans and an oversized blue sweater with a black coat.

I walk down stairs with double layered socks and my rain boots are by the door.

Sawyer is already by the door, bandages wrapped carefully around his nose. As soon as I see him I can't help but laugh. He rolls his eyes.

"Did I break it?" I hold in my laughter.

"No." He softly pushes me out the door. The icy air pinches my skin and I snuggle into my coat.

"I need a scarf and beanie." I turn around to go back inside but Sawyer blocks me from doing so.

"You can use mine." He says and I nod.

"So where are we going?"

"On a date." Sawyer says and I eye him suspiciously.

"Date?"

"Date." He nods. I feel the butterflies rising again. I don't question it. We drive in silence as I watch where he takes me. We park in an empty parking lot. He hands me the extra scarf and beanie he has and I quickly put it on.

The wind picks up and he grabs my hand and we run about a block from where we parked.

We end up at an empty Carnival with a chain that says closed. Sawyer unhooks it and let's me pass through.

"Why are you always a bad influence?" I laugh.

"Why wouldn't I be a bad influence?" He jokingly counters. "Last time I checked I'm an officer." He pulls out a real badge. "Detective Pierce." He smirks.

"If we get caught you would be criminal Pierce."

We walk in effortlessly. It's dark but you can make out what's in front of you and we pass by a food stand. Sawyer grabs a bag of blue cotton candy. He hands it to me and I start eating it. Haven't had Cotten candy in a long time.

"Oh that game looks fun." I point and Sawyer takes a piece of my cotton candy and places it onto his tongue.

"Hey." I pout. He holds in his laugh and looks at the game.

"I don't know it looks kinda shitty." He groans in disagreement. "Come on." He pulls me and we run through the ropes and small stands. I hold on to his large warm hand as tight as I can. I let go as soon as we reach a different game stand. Sawyer jumps onto the other side.

"Welcome Miss." he grabs my hand and kisses it. "Knock down all five pins and you win a prize." He raises an eyebrow and gives me a mischievous smile. He holds out a red ball from within his pocket. "Ready?" He asks.

I walk over to him and grab the ball, "Piece of cake." I roll my eyes. I get ready to throw the ball when Sawyer makes a noise of disapproval. "What?" I question.

"Stand by that line." He says and gestures with his hand for me to move back.

I make my way to the line. I concentrate and throw the ball knocking down two pins.

"Is that the best you can do?" Sawyer snorts. He tosses me another ball and this time I throw with all my might knocking every pin down. Sawyers smile falls.

"Not that hard. What's my prize?" I laugh.

He looks around but all the prizes are put away.

"No prize." Sawyer shrugs in disappointment.

"I don't need a prize, I already have one." I smile. Sawyer walks over to me.

"Yeah?" He raises an eyebrow. He pulls me into a hug and leans down for a soft kiss. We both smile into it.

"Yeah." I whisper.

Sawyer grabs my hand again. He pulls me toward the large Ferris wheel. There is one carriage that is lit up all the way at the top.

"Come on." Sawyer says. "We have to climb to the top." He starts climbing and reaches out for my hand.

I grab it and start climbing. "There you go." He says. He groans as he lifts me up. I follow closely behind him trying not to look down.

"Almost there." He says and he climbs into the carriage. "One more." He reaches for my hand and pulls me into the seat.

"You're out of your mind." I laugh. I take in the lights as we wobble around in the seat.

"Shit, careful. Here sit down." Sawyer says. I look out at the view. All the lights and the ocean. The large ships.

"One day we have to take a trip on a boat that big." I point and lean into Sawyers chest.

"You'd like that?" He genuinely questions.

"Just imagine it. We'd dress like we're from the forties. Cocktail parties, walking around like we're fancy. Dancing to jazz." I look at the boat again imagining what it would be like to live in the forties.

"Remind me to get a new tux then." He softly laughs. I turn to him,

"Okay." I smile.

It starts snowing as we slightly swing from the top of the Ferris wheel. The view is so mesmerizing. 

"It's so pretty." I turn to Sawyer. He looks down at me and smiles.

"God you're beautiful." He leans into me  slowly to kiss me. He pulls away and watches me before holding my neck and kissing me deeper.

We snuggle and he holds me tight. His warmth shielding me from the cold as I sit on his lap. He cradles me like a baby and I look up at him.

"What's going to happen to us?" I question.

"Well, the future isn't really in our hands." He shrugs. "Just got to live day by day." He softly replies.

I nod, "I wish it was." I frown to which he leans in and snatches another kiss. The wind starts to pick up causing the Ferris wheel to shake and we both almost fall out. I start screaming. The wind picks up even more and we shake all the way to the bottom. We both scream on the way down.

"That was not part of the date." Sawyer breathes. I try catching my breath. He helps me down and when we make it on land we look at each other and burst out laughing.

"We could have died." I bend down trying to calm down. I giggle my nerves away and Sawyer grabs my hand.

"Watch your step." He says.

"Oh, thank you." I laugh. I think we're both high on adrenaline.

We walk around the streets of Canada, admiring all the Christmas lights.

"There's something I have to tell you." Sawyer says.

"More secrets?" I raise an eyebrow. He sighs almost irritated. We stop and we lean against a wall, he faces me. He starts nervously playing with my fingers. He doesn't talk for a while.

"This can't be good, or it wouldn't be so hard to say." I watch him as he looks up.

He sighs even deeper. "Yep." He looks down at our intertwined fingers. "I have to go away." He doesn't look me in the eye.

"We're all going away, right?" I ask confused.

He squeezes my hands softly, "Yeah. Except I'll be leaving, alone. I'm jumping through time tomorrow."

I step away from him, my smile dropping.

"I don't understand." I crease my eyebrows. "You can't go jumping through time. That's dangerous. Why would you do that?" I breathe trying to hold in my tears and anger.

"I have to." He softly says.

I look down, "huh." I look back up. I've never seen Sawyer look remorseful as he waits for me to say something. "But you can't. You can't just do something so dangerous."

"Opal, it's not your responsibility, not your choice. Keeping my family safe has always been my goal." He walks closer to me. "I mean, I don't expect you to understand but everything in my life has led me to this point."

If I look at him I know I'll cry. He gently lifts up my chin to look at him. I have no words. "Meeting you. Seeing you. Opal, I love you." My eyes widen, "I love you so much." He pulls me in for a hug and kisses me on the top of my head. I hug him as tight as I can. "Come on, let's get warm." We walk back to the car.

I walk in front of him further than usual. He pulls me back and I turn to look at him. "Wait, fuck. I can't do this. I mean." He stutters and pulls at his curls in frustration. "I just hope you don't  regret anything about tonight." He walks around me and whispers into my ear. "Tonight is by far my favorite night of my life." I smile as he nuzzles into my neck. "Me telling you I'm leaving. I just don't want to ruin today."

My eyes water at his words. "You couldn't ruin it. If I had one more night before not knowing when I'll come back. I'd want to spend it with you."

Sawyer smiles and sighs. "That is what I want to come home to. You'll be the only thing I'll be thinking about. I just need this to work so the best part of my life is still ahead of me."

I nod. "Sawyer." I whisper.

"Look. I'm leaving tomorrow. But I think it would be best if you don't know when. I can't say goodbye again. Once is hard enough." He says and I don't argue with him.

"Take this."  I try taking off the necklace my mom gave me and try to put it around him, but it gets stuck on my coat button. The button falls and I try finding it but it's no where to be seen. It's the only red button on my black coat. I finally put the necklace around him.

"Why? You think it looks good on me?" He smiles down at me and I smile up at him. We both sadly sigh. "Hey, I will come back." He leans in to kiss me one last time. He walks off as I stand there.

"Let's go home." Evan honks his car. I turn around startled.

I wipe away my tear. He unlocks the door and I get in. When I turn back Sawyer is gone.

"He planned for you to pick me up." I state and Evan nods. "How long will he be gone?" I ask.

"Hard to tell." He says. I snuggle into swayers scarf, the smell of lavender detergent fills my nose and I calm. 

I can't sleep all night. I heard Sawyer get home around midnight. I heard him walking to his office and the door closing.

It's almost five in the morning and I hear quiet shouting. I sneak out and stand just outside his door.

I can hear clear as day Jospeh and Sawyer talking.

"You told her not to see you off because you couldn't say goodbye?" Jospeh questions almost angry.

"We both know she won't listen." Sawyer counters. I agree nodding my head even though they can't see me. " If, uh, anything happens to me I want you to be the one to tell her. Got it?" Sawyer commands.

"Just make sure you come back for the both of us. All of us, all right?" Jospeh says. I open the door needing to see Sawyer one last time. I catch them mid hug.

"Wait, Sawyer." I say but the moment Sawyers eyes land on mine he disappears. I stand there in shock. I'm too late.

———————————————————————
Hey everyone! I haven't updated in so long. This semester was a hard one and needed to focus on school. I'm finally on winter break and get to write again 😭

Miss you guys and hope you all enjoy! Stay safe! ❤️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

69.7K 1.5K 60
[18+] READ TO FIND OUT!
882 14 16
Meet Kianna Morris, a regular teen living middle of crescent city and everything is good in her life. She has a perfect grades, a loving family, the...
18.2K 1K 65
He's the nightmare, but she's his fantasy.
624 149 35
An adventure story