ELUSIVE (Book 2)

By hidden_1nk

Sawyer & Opal, how it starts. More

CHAPTER 1
CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER 3
CHAPTER 4
CHAPTER 5
CHAPTER 6
CHAPTER 7
CHAPTER 8
CHAPTER 9
CHAPTER 10
CHAPTER 11
CHAPTER 12
CHAPTER 13
CHAPTER 14
CHAPTER 15
CHAPTER 16
CHAPTER 17
CHAPTER 18
CHAPTER 19
CHAPTER 20
CHAPTER 21
CHAPTER 22
CHAPTER 23
CHAPTER 24
CHAPTER 25
CHAPTER 26
CHAPTER 27
CHAPTER 28
CHAPTER 29
CHAPTER 30
CHAPTER 31
CHAPTER 32
CHAPTER 33
CHAPTER 34
CHAPTER 35
CHAPTER 36
CHAPTER 37
CHAPTER 38
CHAPTER 39
CHAPTER 40
CHAPTER 41
CHAPTER 42
CHAPTER 43
CHAPTER 44
CHAPTER 45
CHAPTER 46
CHAPTER 47
CHAPTER 48
CHAPTER 50
CHAPTER 51
CHAPTER: 52
CHAPTER 53
CHAPTER 54
CHAPTER 55
CHAPTER 56
CHAPTER 57
CHAPTER 58
CHAPTER 59
CHAPTER 60
CHAPTER 61
CHAPTER 62
CHAPTER 63
CHAPTER 64
CHAPTER 65
CHAPTER 66
CHAPTER 67
CHAPTER 68
CHAPTER 69
CHAPTER 70
CHAPTER 71
CHAPTER 72
CHAPTER 73
CHAPTER 74
CHAPTER 75
CHAPTER 76
CHAPTER 77
CHAPTER 78
CHAPTER 79
CHAPTER 80
CHAPTER 81
CHAPTER 82
CHAPTER 83
CHAPTER 84
CHAPTER 85
CHAPTER 86
CHAPTER 87
CHAPTER 88
CHAPTER 89
CHAPTER 90
CHAPTER 91
CHAPTER 92
CHAPTER 93
CHAPTER 94
CHAPTER 95

CHAPTER 49

108 14 8
By hidden_1nk

The sound of a cat screeching wakes me up from my sleep.

"Morning sunshine." Jospeh greets me. I look around for Sawyer but he's nowhere.

"If you're looking for Sawyer, he had to take a leak. He asked me to watch you for a bit." He informs.

"Oh." I plop back into the couch. I haven't had good sleep in forever. I turn to Jospeh who is playing solitaire on Sawyers computer. "How long did I sleep for?"

"I'd say forty-eightish hours. Don't know really." He shrugs. My eyes widen and I sit up. There is no way I slept that long.

"You're kidding."

"Wish I was. Did you know you're a kicker and a loud snorer?" He laughs to himself.

I know I kick but I do not snore.

"I do not snore. Why didn't anyone wake me up?"

"I don't know if you know this, you're kind of scary when you wake up." Again he chuckles to himself.

I glare at him.

"Stop messing with her." Sawyer walks in. "She slept longer than that." He looks at his watch. "Fifty-twoish hours or so."

I move my glare to Sawyer. He walks over to me and gives me a hidden teasing smile. Jospeh doesn't see the flirty gesture and my face tinges red.

"Surprised you don't have any blood clots from staying in one spot for so long." Sawyer continues. He lifts up my arm pretending to check for visible lesions.

"Come on. How long did I really sleep for?" I cross my arms turning to Jospeh.

"We're serious. Forty-eight hours." They both stand there, arms crossed as they wait for me to process this information.

"No." I smile, still not believing but all doubts are wiped when I watch their faces as they nod  sadly agreeing. "Is that normal?" I question.

"Yes and no." Sawyer says.

"You need to work on your answering skills." I point. Jospeh steps forward sighing in annoyance.

"What he means is yes because you haven't slept in three or four days. And he means no because you're sick so you're sleeping for longer than usual."

"Was that so hard?" I turn to Sawyer.

"Anyway. I'll be going." Jospeh looks between the both of us before walking out. "Glad you two are getting along." He whispers into my ear. I playfully push him to the exit.

"I'm going to take a quick shower." I tell Sawyer. He nods not really paying attention.

I quickly shower and realize my bandaid has been changed. I lift it up and my face falls, the rash still looks the same.

I make my way into the kitchen and see Evan and Avery they're both cooking. They seem busy. I look for Evan but I see him on the phone outside. He's busy too.

Jethro sees me and leaves the room. I roll my eyes. I debate sitting alone drawing or bothering Sawyer.

"Everyone is busy." I sigh. "Looks like I'm stuck with you." I feign disappointment to which Sawyer rolls his eyes.

"Looks like I win." He sarcastically mutters.

"What are you doing?" I stand by the edge of his desk.

"Just checking the amount of white blood cells in this sample."

He starts typing. There are three computer monitors. He moves onto the next screen typing something.

"What are you doing now?" I question, inching in closer.

"Still checking the white blood cells."

He moves onto the next monitor and clicks a few clicks before typing again. I pause and watch him, but I can't help it.

"And what about now?"

"Now, I'm checking the white blood cells. And wishing you had a coloring book." He sighs with an eye roll.

"I can be helpful." I follow after him. He starts writing on a clip bored. "Give me something to do."

He thinks about it, "One time I went to work with my dad. All I did was sit under his desk and read. And an occasional stroll to the vending machines, but I was bored out of my mind." I tell him a stupid backstory that doesn't make sense. He hums in return.

"Fine, you want something to do?" He leads me to a microscope. "There are tons of cells on that plate. Find a round purple ball that has white spots."

"Okay, doesn't seem too hard." I look through the microscope. "Hmm, found one."

"What? No you didn't. There are millions of purple balls and there isn't a chance you found one with white spots." He seems a little disappointed I found one so quickly.

"It wasn't difficult. I just zoomed in?"

He pushes me out of the way and studies what I found.

"This was supposed to keep you busy for hours." He mumbles.

"Do I earn another slice of cake?" I raise an eyebrow.

"Okay the final image is coming in. We will be able to see what it is up close." We both sit in front of a large screen. Our faces almost pressed up against it.

Sawyer bursts out laughing.

"What? Why are you laughing?" I squint at the screen.

"It's a piece of lint." He can't even properly say that sentence without laughing hysterically.

"That's it? That's just a piece of lint?" I frown.

"Oh come on, it's still an interesting discovery." He can't even hold in his laugh at this point.

"Well that's boring."

"You get to name it."

I stare at him. He's not serious.

"There is no way I'm naming a piece of lint."

"It's your fist scientific discovery, you have to." I want to wipe that smirk off his face.

After hours of countless searching and coming up empty I plop onto the couch.

"Fuzz." I say out loud when I give up on trying to find whatever it is he wants me to find.

Sawyer instantly snaps his head to me, "What?" He questions.

"That's the name. The name for the lint."

He doesn't bother acknowledging it, he just gives me a weird look before he turns back to his computer screen. I frown and look up at the ceiling, a brilliant idea in mind.

"Let's go somewhere. I need a breath of fresh air. What about tonight?" I sit up, trying not to get too excited.

I know Sawyer hears me, the slight tilt of his head an obvious indication. He takes long to respond.

He slowly swivels his chair around and looks at me, "Actually, I'm going out."

"What? On a date?" I question. The sinking feeling in my stomach is now present and I feel like I can't breathe.

"Yes a date. Where two people who like each other have fun."

"I suggested first." I counter, my arms crossed. A little bewildered he has a date. He of course shrugs. "And when do you have time to even meet these girls? You're so busy all the time." I argue. Sawyers eyebrow rises and I realize I sound like a jealous girlfriend. I shut up quick.

"It's been a long morning. Maybe you should go eat." He suggests, ignoring my comment, completely changing the subject. I'm thankful he does, I don't want to embarrass myself any further.

"Right." I whisper, wounded with how easily he shrugs me off.

I don't bother eating. I sit and draw my jealous rage away.

Sawyer comes into the the living room, he is wearing a suit. His curly hair nicely combed to the side. The strong scent of cologne can be smelled throughout the house.

I catch Evan whispering to Sawyer in the bathroom as he gets ready. Both Sawyer and Evan don't look too happy.

"Is everything okay?" I ask when Evans voice raises. Sawyer is folding his sleeves when he makes eye contact with me. I'm sure I look worried but my worried look doesn't bother either of them. Sawyer softly pushes me aside as he exits the bathroom and Evan follows after him.

They both quietly bicker but loud enough for everyone to hear. Evan walks back into the room seeming a little defeated.

"What's happening?" I question. Even sighs before gracefully sitting down.

"He just doesn't know when to stop." He pinches the bridge of his nose, the same gesture Sawyer does when he's frustrated.

"When to stop?" I question, leaning in closer.

"My brother has a habit of..." he pauses before looking up at me and smiling. "Nothing you should be worried about." He says.

"Well now I'm worried." I counter. I thought he was just going on a date.

Sawyer walks into the room, patting down his pockets.

"Keys. Where are the keys?" He talks to himself as he looks around. I walk over to him.

"Care to tell me what's going on?" Now I sound like a mother who wants to know what her son is doing. Not a good look.

He looks at me and places both his hands on my arms and softly moves me aside and continues to look for the keys.

"Please?" I add in when he finds the keys.

"I thought I told you. Date." He crinkles his eyebrows, and looks at me.

"You sure you're okay?" He questions. I roll eyes. He's good.

"Stop it. I know what you're doing."

He smirks before patting his brothers shoulder.

"Well I'm off." He awkwardly announces. Guess he's not used to telling people he's leaving he usually just comes and goes as he pleases.

"Obviously you guys are both angry about something." I turn to Evan.

"Actually it passed. I can care less now." He gets up and walks out. I don't believe him.

I look out the window and watch Sawyer get into his car. "Everyone is full of secrets." I mutter.

"When have I ever kept a secret?" Jospeh startles me. He walks in eating a bag of chips.

"Don't get me started on you." I point my finger, snapping at him. A few chip crumbs fall to the ground. "You kept that you applied to the army." I don't know what overcomes me but I immediately start crying, not sad tears but angry tears.

Jospeh doesn't notice at first, when he does he stands there confused.

"Hey. I'm not going anywhere. We will always be the Sawyer-hating club." He tries to lighten the mood.

I grab his arm. "Promise me you will make it out alive."

Jospeh's smile drops, and I feel a cold shiver.

"You know I can't promise that. If I die, I die a hero." His tone of voice is serious. The goosebumps on my arms makes me let go of him. Sawyer is right, there is no way of getting to him.

Unless I show him his future.

I check out the window again and make sure Sawyer isn't anywhere to be seen and he's actually gone.

"Can you meet me in Sawyers office in ten minutes?"

"Why?" He questions as he raises suspicious eyebrows.

"Just do it." I snap and rush to Sawyers office. Luckily for me it's unlocked. He can't take the stupid watch everywhere, right? I look through drawers and all his books and come up empty. I check one more spot, the piano. There has to be a hidden compartment and knowing Sawyer the more obvious the spot the less obvious it is to random people. But I'm not a random person, I've learned a few things from him.

I rush downstairs and into the piano room. I look inside the bench seat. Way too obvious. Inside the piano? Maybe. I check, just strings. I press a few keys nothing. What song is Sawyer always playing? The same tune over and over again. I try mimicking what I hear but nothing works. Maybe in a different key? I try different keys and I hear something click and the keys spring up revealing a secret compartment.

Low and behold the watch is sitting right there. Stupid stupid Sawyer. I grab it and run back upstairs where Jospeh is casually sitting on the couch.

"What were you doing?" He asks as soon as he hears me come in.

"Doesn't matter."

"Why do you want me up here and why are you locking the door? You're not going to kill me are you?" He questions and I look down at the watch.

"No I'm not going to kill you, are you crazy?" I question. "But what you're about to see."

"What the hell is going on, Opal?"

"Just trust me." I click the watch to the time zone and grab onto Jospeh's hand.

"Jospeh I swear to God if you're playing with my computer..." Sawyer pauses and catches us standing there. In seconds he's running toward us. I push the button and before I know it I see darkness.

We land on dirt and I grunt as both of them land on top of me. Great both of them.

Jospeh immediately stands up checking his surroundings.

"Where the hell are we?" He questions.

Sawyer harshly lifts me up and pushes me away from Jospeh.

"What the hell are you doing here? You're supposed to be on a date." I cross my arms, beating Sawyer to his angry punchline.

"I leave for not even five minutes and you're doing something so so..." He stops trying to control his anger. " I forgot my brief case and I came back to get it. And you're taking Jospeh into time. How the hell did you even find the...." he stops himself. "You know what, that doesn't matter. You promised me." He whisper shouts.

"I keep thinking about him. It hurts to know we can stop this and we're not doing anything."

"You think I don't know how this feels?"

"No. You're not doing anything!" I shout but remember I can draw in those zombie monsters. Sawyers eyes widen and he covers my mouth.

"You've done it now." Sawyer snaps. He pulls me toward him and grabs Jospeh from his shirt and he pulls us both to safety.

"Someone please explain." Jospeh pleads, looking more terrified with each passing moment.

"Is there anything I can do to help?" I ask Sawyer.

"Silence right now would be great." He snaps, thinking hard about the situation we're in.

"I'm not stupid you know."

"Where do you get that idea?"

"Your face. It says it all. You think I've done something stupid."

He walks away from me ignoring me. I follow suit.

"I know you for real."

"Really? You one hundred percent know me."

"Yes. No one can fake being such an annoying dick all the time."

"Just once can you two behave." Jospeh cuts in.

"Another stupid brother following one of Opals stupid ideas."

"Were you the first stupid brother?" I question. He glares at me before checking to see if we're safe.

"For the love of all things good. Where the hell are we?" Jospeh shouts. Both of us turn to him and shush him.

"No where." He shouts the same time I say,

"In the future."

We both turn to each other and glare.

———————————————————————
I know it's been a long time! I've been neglecting a lot of things I have to be doing.

This is a kind of short chapter put it's part one of two (:

Hope you all enjoy 💕

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.5K 99 15
Read to find out
295K 12.6K 38
Twisted Wonderland x male reader โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ” "๐๐ž๐ข๐ง๐  ๐ฆ๐š๐ ๐ข๐œ๐ฅ๐ž๐ฌ๐ฌ ๐๐จ๐ž๐ฌ๐ง'๐ญ ๐ฆ๐ž๐š๐ง ๐ญ๐ก๐š๐ญ ๐ˆ ๐œ๐š๐ง'๐ญ ๐ฌ๐ง๐š๐ฉ ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ๐ซ ๐ก๐ž๐š๐ ๏ฟฝ...
366 100 14
"How could something this innocent, become this dark... "
886K 5.5K 102
This book contains my favorite collection of novels.