Defying Desires

By RubytheWritrix

I'm sure we've all heard this popular love quote that says; If you ever have to choose between two people, a... More

Episode 1- Disaster
Episode 2- Broken
Episode 3- Hope
Episode 4- Finally
Episode 5- First day
Episode 6- Affinity
Episode 7- Stranger
Episode 8- Speechless
Episode 9- Grateful.
Episode 10- Sparks
Chapter 11- Welcome
Chapter 12- Headlines
Chapter 13- Bold Kiss
Chapter 14- Confessions
Chapter 15- Promoted
Chapter 16- Exposed
Chapter 17- Confrontation
Chapter 18- Alaric
Chapter 19- New boss
Chapter 20- Fired
Chapter 21- Unstoppable
Chapter 22- Alpha
Chapter 23- Unexpected
Chapter 24- Collision
Chapter 25- Aftershock
Chapter 26- Rage
Chapter 27- Disbelief
Announcement
Chapter 28- Remorse
Chapter 29- Waves
Chapter 30- Irresistible
Chapter 31- Epiphany
Chapter 32- Hesitant
Chapter 34- Inevitable
Chapter 35- Miserable
Chapter 36- Surprise
Chapter 37- Wasted
Chapter 38- Wasabi
Chapter 39- Battlefield
Chapter 40- Migraine
Chapter 41- Grey
Chapter 42- Confirmed
Chapter 43- Hasty
Chapter 44- Ignominy.
Chapter 45- Fallout
Chapter 46- Water or Wine
Chapter 47- Yes!
Chapter 48- Wedding

Chapter 33- Concern

90 19 30
By RubytheWritrix

Mia's POV.

Today was a Sunday. Outside had an unexpected writing of large pillows of clouds in the sky. According to our trusted weather forecasters, it wouldn't rain for another fortnight but the skies wouldn't lie. I didn't like being caught in the rain, however it was fun to sit inside and watch the raindrops beat the hard crusty ground. Now all we had to do was wait for the beads of rains to knock on our doors and window pane.

It was six pm and I was here with my family. After a hearty dinner of vegetable fried rice and fillet fish sauce, we were stuffed. That dish was one of the most delicious recipes I'd ever tried. Thanks to Jane who taught me.

"Won't you join us?" Jay set the card down and pivoted his gaze at me. I shook my head for the six thousandth time since they started with the monopoly. It was boring playing with Papa and Jay wouldn't stop asking me.

"I'm watching Open Season." I said, thankful the title of the cartoon had flashed on the screen just then. Of course, I wasn't watching it, I didn't want to be engaged in any game.

A soft knock appeared on the door. If it had started raining, I'd assumed it was the rain but it wasn't. Who would also be knocking on someone's door at this ungodly hour?

"Someone's at the door." Jay stated the obvious. I hopped from my seat and begrudgingly went to open the door.

Girl, you're dead. it's Alaric.

No, it's not. just shut up!

The annoying chime of a voice whispered in my ear. My heart started to pound in my chest and I hesitated on opening the door. The knock came on the door again.

"Open the door, Mia." Papa and Jay yelled at me in unison.

"I'm coming. My ankle jerked." I gave them a half glare and yanked the door open to reveal my greatest nightmare.

Alaric Starvnos.

"Hey." He said, with a dimpled smile that almost threw me offguard. Did Alaric Starvnos just smile at me, Mia North or had he been granted with the amnesia I so desperately yearned to have?

"What are you doing here?" I asked while closing the door on him. I didn't want Jay to spot him, only heaven knew the kind of bromance reunion they would have.

"Alaric!!" Jay's voice came out so cheerfully, I couldn't defy the smile that marked the corners of my lips. He'd really grown fond of Alaric. I wondered if Alaric was just equally as fond of him.

"Guess my reason is obvious now." He bent down and whispered in my ear. That made my stomach flip and I began to feel hot all of a sudden.

Shake it off.

Who'd have thought Alaric would show his face after what panned out? But then it was Alaric. Full of surprises. Then again, let's face the fact that, we were adults and that was just a kiss. If we were talking now without feeling awkward whatsoever, then I guessed that slip had become water under the bridge.

I crossed my arms over my chest then stepped aside, permitting him to enter. When shutting the door, I spotted his bodyguard Andrews standing by the car. I stared his way hoping he'd glance back so that I could usher him inside but the dude gave me the vibes of Frankenstein and not your friendly neighbour, Casper the ghost.

"Yes this is great. We can play the monopoly now. A game played amongst the resilient league of cullies." Jay said in the most fakest acting tone I'd ever heard.

I figured with Alaric in our midst he wouldn't need me. If I had known the evening would come to this, I would have given Jay a run for his money. I grabbed my phone from the couch I was seated on earlier then turned towards my room leaving the league of cullies alone.

"Won't you join us?" I spun and stared at the face of the voice that just suggested that. His eyes pierced into mine and I was waiting for it to alter into its usual wicked glints, but it remained warm with no tint of snarkiness.

"No, thank you." I answered abruptly, flipped my hair in the most remote way and climbed the stairs. I spun to take a quick glance at them but found his eyes glued on me. Weird.

I was now in my room and I knew the path my brain would toil on. To prevent that, I dialled Alan's number and called him. What better way to peel off the piercing eyes of someone you didn't fancy, than to call your boyfriend.

The only one whose voice and sweet words were the antidote to this new disease of mine.

I heard that your thoughts and your utterances determined how your life turned out in the long run. So if I kept saying to myself that I loved Alan and he was the only one I solely wished for, he'll definitely be all about me.

I was on the phone with Alan for more than an hour. It was more than enough time for Alaric to take his leave.

The clouds were darkening, signalling that a heavy rain pour was pending.

I sauntered to the bathroom to take a quick piss and I must say I was impressed with myself at the level of strength and confidence I showed in the Alaric's presence.

I always thought it would be so hard the next time we met, but see, here I was hiding in my room like a real warrior. Way to go Mia. If I kept doing this, I'd have to move in with Jane to avoid him.

It wasn't that bad. I mean I could give myself some credit. I didn't faint when I saw him at the front door. Yes, my stomach churned. I gazed at his moist lips, the desirable way his loosened hair was gliding all over his face. That made me want to brush my fingers through it. The dark chest hairs that peaked out of his unbuttoned shirt. The way his eyes...

Stop it.

Think of Alan.

His warmth. His compassion. His benevolence. His humility.

Think about it.

I shut my eyes firmly and let my mind delve into the exceptional virtue of Alan when suddenly__

"Mia!!"

"Mia!!"

It was Jay. My heart raced at the loud screams. Oh my God, was it Papa? I hastily came out of my room and glanced down at the living room before I descended the stairs.

"We need to send him to the hospital." Jay cried, pure terror on face.

"What happened?"A wild wave of uncertainty and panic washed over at the sight of Alaric's motionless body on the floor.

"I don't know. We were just playing...." Jay started to sob as he bent over Alaric.

"Mia, now's not the time to ask question. Call the ambulance." Papa said, his eyes froze open.

The ambulance. Yes.

No, wait.

Andrews' here.

I bolted out to get him. The moment I stepped out, the rain started drizzling. Of all unforeseen circumstances, Alaric had to pass out in my living roim on in a rainy day.

This wasn't a good sign.

"Andrews." The drops of the rain blinded my view. I had to slam my hand across my face on every step I took. By the time, I got to the car, I was dripping wet.

"Andrews!" I shouted then pounded on the window. He rolled the glass down and his face couldn't hide the shock on it.

"Alaric's collapsed. We need to take__"

He stormed out of the car even before I finished. The drizzles had now turned into canon fires and my skin burned at every drop that touched my skin.

"Is there anything you can do?" I asked when I got inside. An awful scene it was, when they all circled around him.

"No. We need to take him to the hospital." Andrews sighed.

"But it's raining heavily." Jay remarked.

"It doesn't matter. I'll go with Andrew." Andrew gave me suspicious look. I turned to Papa and Jay and they all had the same look plastered on their faces. This wasn't the time to reflect on my beef with Alaric.

Andrew draped Alaric over his left arm and all that repeated in my ear was how this the once mighty tree had fallen.

We got into the car. I was still soaking wet. I didn't know where Andrew had learned to drive but he was incredibly fast and careful considering the intensity of the downpour.

We got to the hospital and we parked under a sheltered tent. I ran out of the car to beckon the nurses. In no time, we came out. They secured Alaric onto the stretcher and hurried him to the ward.

For thirty minutes, I stood beside Andrew both of us damp. Both of us silent. I had a flood of questions in my head, I longed to ask Andrew.

Had this happened before?

What was wrong with Alaric?

"Has this happened before?" I managed to ask him. He didn't answer and that made me whirl in his direction. I realised he wasn't standing beside me anymore.

I didn't want to go into the opening as I was dampened and was very cold. This wasn't how I imagined my evening to be, at all.

Should I call Alan and inform him?

I should rather wait for what the doctors had to say. I ran my hands through my hair as my nerves struck at me on every passing second. Agitation would be an understatement for how I was feeling at the moment.

What was happening in there? The doctors were taking so long.

As I clasped my hands and tried to prevent any further hyperventilating, one doctor emerged from the ward Alaric was held in.

"Doctor. I'm Mia.We're the ones who brought in Alaric. How's he?" I asked, my eyes begging the doctor to tell me something good. Of all the evil things I wished for Alaric, this wasn't in the list.

"He had an overdose." He told me while gesturing to a nurse.

"Overdose, of what?" I asked with a quizzical look.

"Excuse me Doctor." Andrew came from behind and summoned the doctor. The doctor apologised to me and went to him.

Overdose?

Like the gift of clairvoyance had been graced upon me, I undeniably knew Andrew was were aware of what was transpiring with Alaric.

I trudged to his ward but remained at the foot the door. With everything that had issued between us, it felt strange if I walked closer to him. I hoped he recovered. As funny as it sounded never did I imagine Alaric on a hospital bed, in a lifeless state, unaware of his surroundings and even what was occuring within him.

Sighing a deep breath, I lounged closer and stood over his bed. I had to admit, he did appear as a decent human being in this state.

My soft and lovable side washed over me like an adrenaline, and I did the one thing I never saw myself doing for Alaric.

I enveloped his arms in mine, pecked his forehead, and prayed he would sail through this.

We all needed him alive.

Aww, this chapter got me in my feelings. Way to go Mia.

I really hope Alaric comes out of this two. He's a strong person so....hell ya.

Okay guys, we're on chapter 33, it's been a long journey. You're all abreast with the characters.

Tell me who your favourite character is and why.

I'll start.

Heck, this is so hard as I love them all.
But to select one, I'd select Mr North. Yes, he's just full of wisdom and compassion. I really love him.

Comment who yours is, but while doing so, don't forget to vote and share to all your friends. Thank you, until tomorrow. Byee.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

534 91 34
"Choose one, her or what u desire the most" my best freind said. I want both, both are my life the desire to have them both together is messing with...
425K 19.6K 45
This book is a RomCom book(Romance comedy). Read if you love laughing.😊 CURRENTLY EDITING AND WORKING ON RE-WRITING. PLEASE IGNORE SOME IMMATURE THI...
534K 13.6K 39
"YOU ARE MINE" Blake said. He had his arm around my neck preventing me from escaping. "Get off me you psycho!" I shouted while struggling to get free...
105K 3.8K 42
At lightning speed I threw open the covers of the bed , checking for any trace of missing clothing ; Every ounce of my fiber, of my being was yelling...