Defying Desires

By RubytheWritrix

I'm sure we've all heard this popular love quote that says; If you ever have to choose between two people, a... More

Episode 1- Disaster
Episode 2- Broken
Episode 3- Hope
Episode 4- Finally
Episode 5- First day
Episode 6- Affinity
Episode 7- Stranger
Episode 8- Speechless
Episode 9- Grateful.
Episode 10- Sparks
Chapter 11- Welcome
Chapter 12- Headlines
Chapter 13- Bold Kiss
Chapter 14- Confessions
Chapter 15- Promoted
Chapter 16- Exposed
Chapter 17- Confrontation
Chapter 18- Alaric
Chapter 19- New boss
Chapter 20- Fired
Chapter 21- Unstoppable
Chapter 22- Alpha
Chapter 23- Unexpected
Chapter 24- Collision
Chapter 26- Rage
Chapter 27- Disbelief
Announcement
Chapter 28- Remorse
Chapter 29- Waves
Chapter 30- Irresistible
Chapter 31- Epiphany
Chapter 32- Hesitant
Chapter 33- Concern
Chapter 34- Inevitable
Chapter 35- Miserable
Chapter 36- Surprise
Chapter 37- Wasted
Chapter 38- Wasabi
Chapter 39- Battlefield
Chapter 40- Migraine
Chapter 41- Grey
Chapter 42- Confirmed
Chapter 43- Hasty
Chapter 44- Ignominy.
Chapter 45- Fallout
Chapter 46- Water or Wine
Chapter 47- Yes!
Chapter 48- Wedding

Chapter 25- Aftershock

132 21 31
By RubytheWritrix

Mia

I don't know how many of you have heard of the expression, work and happiness. This morning, I googled on how to stay happy and productive at your workplace, which was weird because it never crossed my mind when I was in Starvnos. I read over thirty five quotes on this title, ready and pumped for work.

Not to sound ungrateful and like a mean bitch, but working in Clayton's was like a disease. The past few weeks I'd been working there provided a new story to tell everyday. Some rascals would turn up in the shop and take whatever item they wanted. I reported to Mrs Cooper who only shrugged it off and did nothing about it. I pondered on why she'd allow herself to be taken advantage of in that pitiful way. I honestly felt bad for her. I wished I could help her but then, I'd get beat up by the inner voice in my head which was more mean than the Heathers.

As soon as I got to the entrance of Clayton's, my glowing face had now glazed in the direction of perceived hazard. I dropped my bag on the counter and headed towards Mrs Cooper's abode. I swiftly turned the knob only to find her sleeping on the floor with a cigarette butt lying next to her face.

A tight lipped smile crept on my face and I shut the door behind me. I decided to clean the supermarket. By then it was eight. The only thing that kept me happy and productive was the thought of Papa. The procedure was done and he was back home.

The doctor had given us effective measures that would enable Papa to adapt to the new pair of hands. Other then the training Leigh Anne was responsible for, this would help fight any resilience his brain would present in his quest to walk.

I wiped off the beads of sweat on my forehead and got rid of the dirty water. I came in the opening, and Mrs Cooper was standing at one place like a lost soul. The harsh scent of the alcohol could be smelt on her. She took a step but struggled to keep any balance. She gazed up to her hands and fingers, like waiting for her brain to send signals as to what to do. She lurched forward, but stumbled.

"Are you okay? Maybe you should have a seat." I pulled out a chair and aided her into it.

She gnawed in pain. Obviously from a hangover. She brushed her hand over her forehead. I towered above her, watching her intently.

"Quick, help me clear out that room. Take every bottle out. My son will be here soon. He can't see me like this." She had her head down when talking. For a minute, I wanted to tilt her head up and see the colors in her eyes.

"Yes, I'll get to it but do you want me to get you anything? Some pain reliever." I monitored her face like the object of sympathy.

"No I'll be fine." She wiped her nose and knotted her fingers. My eyes were moist and I hurried to do her bidding, not asking any further questions.

I came back to the open space and she was still rooted in the same place. It didn't look like she moved even once. She was staring at nothing. Only an unknown force could predict the thoughts circulating her mind.

"Mrs Cooper, I'm done." I approached her and she made minimal eye contact with me. I contemplated on whether I should ignore her distress and go about my duties. After all, that was why I was hired.

As I moved towards the counter, I paused and swallowed hard. "Mrs Cooper, I don't know if I should even say anything. But if your son is enough for you to pretend you're alright, then you should make an effort, and be alright for him. Genuinely."

"He thinks I've been sober since I returned from rehab. It only got worse. I kept it a secret from him. And that's the reason I persisted he left for college. That was the only way I could have the freedom and destroy myself."

I pressed my lips together as she downturned her head.

"What caused this addiction Mrs Cooper?"

"Nothing, I've always been like this. My alcoholism destroyed my family and I continue to let it. My husband and daughter left me. Daniel pitied me. He believed I could change and that was why he stayed. And all I did was to disappoint him always. Normally I wouldn't care if he saw me like this but today I do. I want to be clean for him."

"And you can be." I nodded in encouragememt. She burst into an inappropriate laugh. "We all hit rock bottom sometimes but it doesn't mean we should stay down. I've been through a lot myself. But both of us have one thing in common."

"And what's that?" She gave a quixzical smile.

"I'm holding on for my father and brother. You're trying for your son. Just think about how happy he'll be. Even better how happy your daughter will be."

"She wants nothing to do with me." Her face gave a slack expression.

"She will if she sees how you've truly turned yourself around."

She remained quiet like processing everything I'd said. "Thank you Mia. You're a good woman."

"You're welcome. Now let's you ready for your son."

"Let's do it."

I flipped the open sign to closed. She used the bathroom in the supermarket. Luckily she had more clothes so I sieved through and brought the perfect dress for a mother-son date. Okay that's not the right thing to say, at all.

When we were done and she gazed at herself in the mirror, she was enraptured with joy and satisfaction.

"Thank you." She whispered the umpteenth time.

I scrambled out into the supermarket and my eyes fell on the back of a fine gentleman. He had the body of athlete. Perfectly in good shape and sturdy. When he spun, I almost screamed. There was no doubt he was Daniel, Mrs Cooper's son. The resemblance was uncanny. Which was also in his favor, because it saved him from the NYPD ass kicking I was about to give him.

"Hi, you are Mrs Cooper's son?" I curved my brows.

"That obvious huh, or my mother has been talking about me." His eyes crinkled at the corners, giving him a baby face that moment.

"Well, the resemblance is wild."

"Terribly true." He stifled back a laugh. "And you are?"

"Mia North."

"Daniel Cooper, but then you already know that." He extended an outstretched hand and I took it.

"Daniel." Mrs Cooper's voice went bubbly.

"Mama, you look stunning." Daniel slapped the table, doubling over with mirth, he raised his mother in a floating embrace.

Daniel really loved her. I now understood her frustration earlier.

"You ready for our day together." He asked.

"I am. So good to see you." Mrs Cooper held his face. She mouthed a note of gratitude in my way and I elevated my chin. I was proud of myself.

Yes, I didn't expect her to completely quit alcohol. It was a good sight she was sober and will be for at least a day.

They evacuated the shop, and I was delighted as an arsonist watching a bonfire.

****

I closed from the supermarket late. I waited till Mrs Cooper and Daniel returned. The whole ride home, their smiles were flooding in my head. Who knew, maybe from henceforth, I would  work at Clayton's and be happy.

I crept into the house like a thief of the night. It was seven thirty. Guilt kicked me hard in the guts when I realized I was now coming to prepare dinner for my family.

I hung my bag on the bag rack, I had bought a few days ago. The living room was empty. It made me a little suspicious. No Papa, no Jay.

I opened papa's door and found him in a deep slumber. I made the trinity sign and went to the kitchen. The ingredients available were just right for the preparation of meatloaf.

In a haste to get the meal ready on time, I made have added excessive salt and spice. I rolled my eyes irritably. There was no way Jay would eat this. Papa would because he wouldn't want to hurt my feelings. Now I'd have to listen to Jay's tutorial on how to cook for the rest of the night.

"Mia." Papa called out to me.

"Papa, I'm so sorry. I just finished dinner but it's little salty because I was in a such rush." I rapped.

"Where's Jay?" He asked instead. Great, he didn't care I'd prepared him a sweet bowl of hypertension.

"I haven't seen him. Maybe he's in his room, also sleeping."

"Or maybe he's not back."

"Back from?" I blinked.

"Well he returned from school and asked to go to the arcade with a couple of his friends."

"Aww, he made friends." I clutched my heart and smoothed my forehead. Finally, he was building his social skills.

"Yes but it's... eight now. He should be back by then. I'm putting him on curfew."

"Yes." I let out a chuckle. "But he's made friends now, Papa. That's great news. I always imagined him being alone and cranky."

Papa responded with a snort. "Me too."

"Let me serve your dinner." I glided to the kitchen and placed his plate on the table. With his new pair of hands, Papa could now adjust his arm to his mouth.

I ran upstairs, showered, spoke with Alan for a short time, then trod back to the living room. It was eight fifteen and Jay hadn't still showed up.

Papa was getting paranoid. I was giddy because he had made friends.

"He should be home now. It's a school night." Papa bared his teeth.

"He should." I said in a bored undertone, pretending to be on his side as I switched TV channels. I didn't understand why Papa was flaring up just because a teenage boy decided to stay out late. It wasn't like he was doing drugs. I managed to keep him calm by tuning in to some comedy show.

Then my phone vibrated. I reached for it. It displayed an unknown number.

"Hello Mia. This is Amber, from the hospital. You___"

"Amber, hey what's up?" I faced Papa who had raised a brow.

"Mia, you need to get here immediately. Jay has been rushed in. He's been knocked down by ____"

The phone dropped to the floor before she completed her sentence.

"Mia, what is it?"

Unable to speak, I turned to him with an unblinking stare.

That couldn't be possible.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

534 91 34
"Choose one, her or what u desire the most" my best freind said. I want both, both are my life the desire to have them both together is messing with...
534K 13.6K 39
"YOU ARE MINE" Blake said. He had his arm around my neck preventing me from escaping. "Get off me you psycho!" I shouted while struggling to get free...
170K 6.6K 64
"You don't have to keep reminding me that I'm a mistake and that I ruined your life. I'm not sorry for meeting you that day. I needed to. My life was...
227K 13.8K 54
"How dare you? Ariana, how dare you?" I could feel the anger from his heart radiate through his ears. the tears that kept rolling down my cheeks wer...