The Stone

By IslandNinja

Darkness rises in the realms as Brianna Nobile, a warrior and farmhand is forced into mage craft by a book b... More

Prologue
Introduction
A Thief in the City
The Book of Shadows
Oh Knight of Slumber
Mana Shock
The Castle
The Queen
What Beauty Can do with a Blade
The Bell Tower
Lady Caren
Panthera
She Will Be Mine
The Queens Sword Seal
Morals
Mages Armor
Gregory
Target Practice
The Other Side
Revish
Jewel
The truth
The Broken Barrel Inn
An Unexpected Traveler
Accepting Her Fate
Fell of the Fire
I Love You?
Khaleda
The Sea Takes Her
Kit Mercer
Your First Mistake
Your Second Mistake
The element: Water
Corcoran Pirates
Foul Play
Leviathan
Ruler of Dragons
Roan's Pledge
Andai: Possesser of the Stone
The Trident King
Like the Gods
The Gladiators
The Blood Moon
Her new council
A Frozen Army
First Flight
The demon Mogan
The Holy Summoning
The Second Stone
Allery's Conviction
Into the Desert
Rebellion in Lesteros
The Chasm
The White Fox Illusion
Night terrors
The Desert Rebels
And we wait.
The life tree
Life's Given Task
Reasoning
Training
The Relic

Roan's Last Words

33 6 0
By IslandNinja

Thanatos has retreated back into his underworld lair to gather more energy for the next summoning of minions. He leaves Roans' body intact but not his mind, which is still poisoned with thoughts of Brianna's supposed betrayal.

He sits on the throne thinking to himself. One hand clenched cracking the crystal it rests on. His mind still tainted by the poison of Thanatos, he replays the events with Brianna in his head, over and over like an obsession. But not the times where he felt happy and loved. He reiterates the times of her betrayal and abandonment. Why is it he can't be rid of her? Why is it that she still torments him? He wishes he could see her again, even though his hate for her and the thirst for her blood has taken over his most desirable feelings. He wants to see her again, for closure, to warn her. For if she steps foot in his realm again, he will take what he has always wanted from her then tear her apart piece by piece.

"Theodor, bring me a mage able to astral project." Roan demands.

Theodore bows, hands clasped together tucked into his sleeves.
"Yes your highness." He replies and scurries away. He returns to the throne room with Vash, who looks eager to please.

"My King?" She bows.

"Vash, gather your ceremonial artifacts for astral projection! I wish to see her!" He snaps.

Vash jumps, her voice barely a whisper.
"B-but my King, it is unsafe in your state of mind to be astral projecting across seas. You will be vulnerable to any opposing force, your mother told you...."

"MY MOTHER IS NOT HERE! Do it! Or I'll have the beasts outside the castle do what they want with you." He shouts letting thunder out.

She jumps again and whimpers at his anger then summons her orb.

"Very well, Theordore we need Tess and Tine." She commands.

He nods and leaves the room to fetch them. A few minutes later they are joined by the two mages, equally frightened and unsure.

"Are you sure about this Roan? Your mother specifically said not to do this!" Tess cautiously says.

Roam leans forward in his seat.
"I suggest you do as I say..." He threatens.

The two women share worried glances and proceed with the ceremonial preparations. Five candles, salt harvested from the sea, and the scroll bearing the incantation.

Vash comes before Roan.
"Please...Roan, you must remove any metals and personal items not involved with your objective projection from your body so as not to disrupt the flow."

He stands removing everything down to his slacks, except for one thing, a small throwing knife that belonged to Brianna, which he had found tucked away under a pillow in her room. He grips it in his hand and watches the mages lay out the salt in a runic symbol defining the gods of death, life, and in the between. Around that, they place large candles and set them aflame. Then Vash holds up her orb fueling it with mana, and Tess begins to read from the scripture.

Vash looks up to Roan as he waits patiently. She can barely set her eyes on him these days. She had watched this boy grow from birth, into a handsome, strong and caring knight of Lesteros. But now he is just a pawn in a twisted plot to conquer the world. She pittys him, and wishes a different life for him. But what is done cannot be undone, he is under the ownership of a death god, and only mortality can break that. A tear slips down her cheek for him.

"We're ready Vash." Tine says pulling her out of thought.

She nods and clears her throat.
"Roan it is time, please take your place inside the circle." She waves him over. "Remember to count the starlings, no more than 5 birds."

He obeys and walks directly into the middle, being sure not to brush away any salt laid out.

"Now put your hands out palms up and close your eyes." The women surround him and he does as she says.

The mages raise their hands palms up and begin to chant.

"Animum vult decepi, ergo decipiatur. Vis, vis, vis."

As the last three words are said Roan begins to levitate and a black smoke pours from his hands into the sky. He can feel his soul lifting from his body being forced out into the air. Then suddenly he is weightless floating above everyone including his own body. And in a fraction of a second he is pulled by an unseen force, his vision blurs as everything around flies by him at the speed of light. Within minutes his soul is pulled into the desert across the sea, hovering over the newly restored runes of the realm Lira. But instead of an empty wasteland he sees a flourishing town filled with people.

This must be the rebel camp." He thinks. A flick of a bird's feather flashes by him perching on a stone structure ahead. It watches him curiously. The first starling has arrived.

He carries on ignoring the bird, if Brianna is here, then she must be close to recruiting them under her command. He must put a stop to this, but first he must see her face one last time. His body draws mana pushing it into the dagger he grips in his left hand, and his soul is pulled further into the town, past residential buildings and markets, and into the entrance of a pyramid tower. He can feel the connection to Brianna much stronger now, and presses on. He is pulled through a zig zag of corridors and into a makeshift throne room, or the remnants of one. This is where he stops. He sees the glint of luscious long blonde hair, the smooth delicate curves he could never resist, and the smell of roses and vanillas. It was her, kneeling in front of him looking up at a woman sitting on a broken throne. She is shackled and disarmed, he watches them speak.

Another flick of a feather and two birds appear watching him, he keeps a tally in mind, his time is running out and he must make his connection with her now before it is too late.

He steps forward closer to her and slows the speed of time pulling her into the astral projection with him, and the woman glances towards him. She must be feeling his signature, Brianna turns her head. Her green eyes lock onto his, although she cannot see him, she must know something is there. He watches her search the room behind him, she is even more beautiful than before. She sniffs the air, then closes her eyes, most likely catching his scent. When they open he sees a tear fall from her cheek. She whispers his name and he shudders, then he speaks into her mind through the dagger he holds.

"I can see you Brianna." Her breath hitches. " This is the last time our souls will be in the same room together, on common ground. You have betrayed me and abandoned Lesteros. I advise you to stay away from Lesteros if you want to live, if you come back I will kill you myself." As hard as the last words were to say he followed through. He watches her for a moment, and she whispers...

"I'm sorry Roan, forgive me, I did what I had to do." She cries out.

As much as he wants to, he can't, what she has done is unforgivable, they are beyond that now. Tears stream down her face. And two more birds appear next to the others. He must leave the projection soon.

"May the wrath of your betrayal, leave you buried six feet underground." He replies through gritting teeth.

Two more birds perch beside the others, each cackling, twitching their heads.

He begins to say one more thing to Brianna, but is pulled out of the projection, back the way he had come. His soul is forced back into his body quicker than when it had left and the strength behind it, lands him on his back in the salt circle.

He groans sitting up.
"Roan!!" Vash shouts rushing to his side. She helps him up staring at him.

"How many starlings Roan?" She asks frantically.

He pushes her away, stumbling to his clothes, and begins to dress.

"HOW MANY?!" She yells.

He snaps his head towards her.
"Six." He replies.

"No...no, no, no...I said no more than five!!" She shouts.

"What does it matter? My soul is back in its place!" He brushes her off pulling his shirt over his head.

"Birds of the underworld talk Roan, who do you think they talk to?"

And Roan pauses, the color leaving his face.
"Shit..." He whispers.

Vash curses and the other mages begin to panic.
"Thanatos will behead us!" Tine cries out pacing back and forth holding her head.

"He won't do a damn thing." Roan assures. "I saw Brianna, I have devised a plan to stop her where she is now."

Vash lashes out at him.
"This is on you Roan! This is your fault! If anything happens to us I am blaming you."

"That's fine with me!" He snaps back then pushes by the mages and leaves the throne room.

They begin to frantically clean up the mess before anyone can see what they have done.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.9K 2K 45
Ethilir, eldest of the kingdoms of men, ruled by the righteous bringers of light and life to the East, has endured since the Revealing as a force of...
54.4K 1.6K 14
Ever since Cheryll Erisan, Natsu's old best friend came back from the 'dead' A certain stellar mage has been being ignored by everyone and was being...
857 184 31
.........In a land of supernatural beings and a time of amazing and horny teenagers, the desire of great readers lies in the hands of a young girl he...
457 153 18
Under the sprawling expanse of the night sky, where stars shimmer like fragments of dreams, one woman stands at the precipice of her destiny. In the...