Defying Desires

By RubytheWritrix

I'm sure we've all heard this popular love quote that says; If you ever have to choose between two people, a... More

Episode 1- Disaster
Episode 2- Broken
Episode 3- Hope
Episode 4- Finally
Episode 5- First day
Episode 6- Affinity
Episode 7- Stranger
Episode 8- Speechless
Episode 9- Grateful.
Episode 10- Sparks
Chapter 12- Headlines
Chapter 13- Bold Kiss
Chapter 14- Confessions
Chapter 15- Promoted
Chapter 16- Exposed
Chapter 17- Confrontation
Chapter 18- Alaric
Chapter 19- New boss
Chapter 20- Fired
Chapter 21- Unstoppable
Chapter 22- Alpha
Chapter 23- Unexpected
Chapter 24- Collision
Chapter 25- Aftershock
Chapter 26- Rage
Chapter 27- Disbelief
Announcement
Chapter 28- Remorse
Chapter 29- Waves
Chapter 30- Irresistible
Chapter 31- Epiphany
Chapter 32- Hesitant
Chapter 33- Concern
Chapter 34- Inevitable
Chapter 35- Miserable
Chapter 36- Surprise
Chapter 37- Wasted
Chapter 38- Wasabi
Chapter 39- Battlefield
Chapter 40- Migraine
Chapter 41- Grey
Chapter 42- Confirmed
Chapter 43- Hasty
Chapter 44- Ignominy.
Chapter 45- Fallout
Chapter 46- Water or Wine
Chapter 47- Yes!
Chapter 48- Wedding

Chapter 11- Welcome

188 39 17
By RubytheWritrix

Mia

"What is going on here?" I asked no one in particular as a deranged expression settled across my face when I reached the foot of the basement. "Hey! What's going on here?" I abruptly stopped a man who moved our fridge to a pick-up truck. "Why are you moving our things out?"

"We were told to move everything out of that room." He dropped the fridge down and heaved a tired sigh.

"By who?" I barked at him. My anger didn't seem to have moved any bone in his body.

He traveled his eyes around and shrugged when he couldn't find the instructor. "I believe he's the owner of this building. He was standing here like five minutes ago. Either ways young lady, I'm only doing my job."

I ran my hands through my hair in frustration.

Why would Mr Randolph move us out?

What did we do?

My heart slammed wildly against my chest as I paced around like a mad person seeking answers. None of the workers responded to me. Infact, I was ignored like a sack of potatoes. The urge to whack their faces was eccentric. Thankfully, I found Mr Randolph speaking on his phone at the entrance of the main building. "Mr Randolph, what's going on? Why are they are bringing our things out of the basement?"

"I'm sorry Mia, but you can't stay here anymore."

"What, why!"

"Because you're moving to a new place. A new apartment." A familiar voice announced behind me.

"Mr Berns?" My face dropped.

"Mia."
Jay came from behind him, holding an ice cream cone.

"Umm.. Mr Berns, what do you mean we're moving to a new apartment?"

"Remember what I told you?"

I nodded my head in consent. "Yes, I do but....." I left my statement hanging as I crouched down to the floor, hands burrowed into my face.

"Mia, I understand. This is surreal."

"Yes, and I don't understand how this is all happening or why you're doing all this."

He gave me a smile. "You want to go inside and take the few things you deem important to you. We need to set off soon."

"Where is the new apartment located?"

"Not anywhere far from where you work or where Jay goes to school." He said, brushing his hands through Jay's hair.

"Can you believe it Mia? We're getting our own apartment. Papa is going to be elated." He beamed, crunching on the ice cream cone.

I hugged him and felt tears wanting to eke out. My eyes settled on Mr Berns and I mumbled a small thank you to him.

I walked into the basement and found that the room would be nearly empty if not for the maintenance equipment. I rummmaged through the small plastic bag that contained my clothes and fetched out few items belonging to Papa.

I glanced at the room that had been our home for the past four years and let out a deep sigh.

Mr Berns.

Anyway possible, I would one day repay him for his kind deeds. He had made my life a dreamlike state.

"Hey Mia, you ready?" His voice resonated.

"Yes Mr Berns, I'll be out in a jiffy." I carried the bag on my shoulders and ascended the stairs out of the basement. I came out and found out the truck securing our belongings had disappeared.

"Hmm.. Mr Berns, will the truck meet us at the new apartment?"

"No, those things are going to be disposed off. We wanted to leave them behind but the landlord said we should scram them all out."

"But, our bed and the fridge." Yes, they were besmirched but I still loved them.

"You're getting a new home, Mia. You have no worries. Get in the car."

I followed his tenacious voice and hopped into the backseat with Jay in the passenger's seat, grinning from ear to ear.

"Mr Berns said the school bus arrives at our new residence. So, I won't walk to school anymore, Mia."

I gave him a small smile and settled my neck on the headrest. The emotions surging in me were unexplainable. I know there was no way I could get over this twist of fate. Not this lifetime.

I felt like Cinderella. Her life changed because she fit a shoe, mine changed because of what? My papa got sick? And now, not only was he recovering but he would be coming home to a new house; a new start.
I was happy not for me, but the joy that escalated from Jay sent me to seventh heaven. This change could influence his social life for a start.
After about twenty minutes drive, we got to our destination. It was a residential townhouses of duplex apartments. The estate flickered bright colors from the insides of all the apartments. The car halted right in front of what I believed, was our new house.

The walkway was artificially smooth and made of silent concrete. There was a lawn with soft grass and two magnolia plants cloistered in far ends of the lawn. The same marvelous exterior design and layout was equipped for the rest of the line of the houses in the residence. The first floor of the apartment was brickfaced and enhanced with a wide casement window. The second floor was concrete plastered. A single trapezodial window occupied the left face of the building and the right side was covered by a large but high casement window. From the insides, one could really appreciate the beauty of the streets. The evening however, was unjustly contributing to the aesthetics of the residence.

We scurried inside the apartment and my breath hitched. The living room met us, as soon as Mr Berns turned on the lights, sorry a drum chandelier. It wasn't a massive living room but it was beautiful.
There were two green couches and two armchairs in a circular pattern. The glass center table rested on shaggy fur patterned carpet.

"Come on." Mr Berns said to us. Jay and I stood still like we were glued to the floor. I pushed Jay forward while I remained stagnant. The stairs that led to the upper room was spiral shaped. A lamp was rooted beside the two couches with small mahogany coffee tables beside them. The plasma screen TV rested on a shelf along with two speakers.

"Mia!" Jay called out to me. A wide smile on his face.
I took in a deep breath and ventured forward. It was then I realized the room had been partitioned into three. A living room, a kitchen and a dining hall.
We engaged in a fifteen minutes house tour, mesmerized by the design. My brain, however could only centre on how costly the entire apartment would be. After multitude gratitudes from Jay and I, Mr Berns could not take it anymore, and hotfooted from the house, leaving us in awe and shock.
For the rest of the night, I couldn't sleep. I sat by the window, gazed up to the stars, and knew I was part of the few lucky ones.This wasn't something that just crossed the paths of everyone, and the fact that it happened to me, was perplexing. I tossed and turned when I finally settled in bed. I had to embrace this new life. I had been a pessimist for so long, thinking no good could come my way. Amazing things were happening and for the first time in a very long time, I accepted and had faith in them just as they came.

No doubts.

*****

"So your father is ready to go home now." The doctor told me as I sat across him in his office. It was the next day after our relocation, and right after I got back from work, Jay stood on my neck for us to come and see Papa. In my perspective, he simply wanted to blab to Papa about the new house. Simply confounded.

"Really?"

"Yes, the surgery was a complete success. All other medications can be administered to him in the house. But, there's one thing though. He needs therapy. Most patients need to learn to adjust to a new life. In your father's case, learning to live without hands. His cognition will take a long time to get used to it."

"The therapy and the medications would also help him to be able to finally walk. But, for now the wheelchair will be in use."

I nodded slowly and stared down my knotted fingers. That was the exact fear I had. His self esteem would be affected. It was never easy starting all over. Moving into a new house, was even frightening for us. Now, Papa had to live life without hands. The thought made me shiver on the inside. I only prayed he would continue to keep strong just as he always had been. And, I would do everything in my power to never make him doubt his self worth.

"When the wounds heal, he could get prosthesis for his hand."The doctor broke into my thoughts, jerking me back to reality.

"Yes, that would be great."

"So Miss North, your father is ready for discharge. The nurse will communicate to you on the dosages of his medicines. He'll be strong again. And, don't worry, if you continue to shower him with lots of love, he won't be stigmatized. It takes time but he'll heal."

"Thank you, doctor. For everything." I expressed and left the office.

Yes, Papa was free at last.

I walked in on them with Jay waving his hands in a dramatic expression. I rolled my eyes at him, for I knew exactly what he was describing.

"Papa." I threw my hands around his neck. He was in his wheelchair ready to be discharged. "You look good,papa. You look so healthy." I focused on the brightness of his face, not paying attention to his heavily bandaged arms.

"I have no hands." He whispered, then chuckled. I was relieved when he chuckled but I could still identify the sadness in his eyes.

"No, Papa, you're healthier now. Your hands, had they been there would have led to your death. But you're alive, let's be thankful for that."

He nodded in consent but sighed. "Thank you." Jay and I hovered around him in a big sentimental hug.

Later, I went to see the nurse who gave me all the prescriptions on papa's drugs. I listened and read them attentively so to not miss a single time in dosage. It was time for us to leave the hospital. We hailed a cab to take us home.

"Jay told me we have moved out of the basement." Papa laughed when the cab set into motion.

"Papa, you promised you wouldn't say." Jay feigned anger.

"Jay is such a gossip, I know." I ruffled his hair roughly leaving it disorderly. The rest of the ride was amidst with laughter and loud music.

"Which place is this, Mia?" Papa exclaimed as the cab came to a halt.

"This is our new house Papa." Jay laughed, pushing Papa through the walkway.

"Welcome home, Papa."

He gasped as I opened the doorway to Narnia.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

461K 13.3K 36
Have you ever heard of being hired because you were honest? Well, this is a first! Emma: a proud, sarcastic but honest girl who gets hired because s...
21.9K 553 51
"Kitten!" He said and I opened my eyes. As I looked ahead at the mirror, I could see him leaning so close to me but his eyes were gazing at me throug...
48.2K 1.1K 31
~ Featured 2× on @StoriesUndiscovered's Reading List Tales Of The Heart. ~ Featured on @WattpadEmpowered's Reading List Monthly Spotlight. ~ Winner...
171K 9K 23
****book two of Savage MC series***** "Go on sweetie, blow out the candles and make a wish. Now don't tell anyone or it won't come true" "I wont, I p...