Memory of the heart #WATTYS20...

By Hsienhui1978

#WATTYS2020 The lives of rap songwriter, Wang He Di and aspiring singer, Shen Yue, intertwine at a music club... More

Disclaimer
Author's notes
Chapter 1: Tsuki
Chapter 2: Tomodachi
Chapter 3: Tamagoyaki
Chapter 4: Akogare
Chapter 5: Yūshoku
Chapter 6: Tōfu
Chapter 7: Hana
Chapter 8: Dēto
Chapter 9: Shashin
Chapter 11: Doki-doki 2
Chapter 12: Bon Odori
Chapter 13: Māku
Chapter 14: Ureshii
Chapter 15: Tsumetai
Chapter 16: Tenshi
Chapter 17: Chansu
Arigato
Chapter 18: Shinjiru
Chapter 19: Ikanaide
Chapter 20: Shūmatsu
Chapter 21: Kyanpu
Chapter 22: Kioku
Chapter 23: Shinjitsu
Chapter 24: Osoi
Longing - A Haiku
Chapter 25: Akumu
Chapter 26: Ashita
Chapter 27: Furaito
An edit to the chronology
Chapter 28: Odoroki
Chapter 29: Mitsuketa
Chapter 30: Sutōrī
Chapter 31: Gesuto
Chapter 32: Aitai
Chapter 33: Donā
Chapter 34: Yōsha
Chapter 35: Issho
Chapter 36: Shōjiki
Chapter 37: Okaeri
Chapter 38: Sadō
Chapter 39: Yakusoku
Chapter 40: Shitto 1
Chapter 41: Shitto 2
Chapter 42: Shinrai
Chapter 43: Ikiru
Chapter 44: Toraburu
Chapter 45: Uragiri
Chapter 46: Kintsugi
Chapter 47: Haru
Chapter 48: Nozomu
Chapter 49: Kiseki
Chapter 50: Unmei
Epilogue 1: Kazoku
Epilogue 2: Nigete
The Author's Farewell
Glossary of Japanese words

Chapter 10: Doki-doki

767 62 27
By Hsienhui1978

"How did your date with Didi go last night?" asked Jia Qi excitedly. They were at the staff area on the rooftop, dressing up, getting ready for serving hours.

"Good." Yue said, casually.

"Good? That is not a proper answer. Tell me more! What did you do? How do you feel? Did you hold hands? Did he kiss you?"

Yue scrunched her nose. "Gosh, Jia! Do you really expect all that physical contact on the first date? Or was that what you did with Xi Ze, huh?"

"Xi Ze held my hand on our first date." she smiled. "But we started out as friends. Yours is like...."

"Like what?"

"At least for Didi, he likes you. You...Shen Yue is just playing hard to get." Jia pointing at Yue, accusingly.

She smiled. "He said he likes being with me, but that is different from liking me, okay?"

"You idiot. How can a guy like being with you if he doesn't even like you? Anyways, you didn't even answer my question about last night. Were there fireworks? Sparks flying? Butterflies dancing?" Jia Qi grabbed her arm.

"Jia! Don't be melodramatic. I enjoyed myself. You know I love opera. I think he..." she paused. "...he is being himself."

"Too gentleman?"

"He is like the perfect boyfriend material."

"Wah!!"

"And that scares me. I mean he is a good guy. But I'm thinking I just met him. How would I know he doesn't have a dark side?" Her brows were furrowed.

"Everyone has a dark side. It's a risk we take. Hey, you have your dark side. When you get angry, you explode. Didi hasn't seen that yet. If he knew, he might not even come near you!"

Yue stuck her tongue out at Jia. She fixed the belt on her yukata and adjusted the hem of the top. She reached out to the basket of okras they had harvested earlier and casually toyed with it.

"The most important thing is how you feel about him." Jia continued.

Yue bit her lip. "I enjoy his company so far." But this is too fast, too soon.

"Yes! That sounds good. When is the next date?"

Yue threw an okra towards Jia Qi. "Stop being such a nosy parker!"

"Don't! That's our staff lunch! Shen Yue, I'm gonna get you for this," she screamed as more okras were shot her way. They laughed as they chased each other around the rooftop.

Jia Qi finally stopped running as she panted. "All right stop! I'm all drenched. Pick up all the okras and wash them before you pass to Chef. I don't know what Didi sees in you, really," she shook her head as she took the stairs down.

Yue smiled as she picked up the green veggies on the ground, her mind travelled back to last night after the opera show.

They were standing on the same bridge admiring the lights in the garden, when Didi spoke. "Yue."

"Hmm..." she replied. After the show she had felt a wave of exhaustion over her and she was feeling slightly sleepy. It had been a very eventful day, from her studio recording to lunch with Didi and now this.

"I like you. A lot."

She turned to look at him. His smile was soft as he tilted his head slightly to look at her.

"You don't have to say anything. I know I shouldn't say this on our first date. But I need to get it off my chest."

"Didi..." she started. They were standing two feet apart, not even close but she felt electricity current from where he was. Her palms tingled. "What do you see in me that made you feel this way? We know each other for two weeks only."

"Yue, do you believe me that you made me feel alive? I like how you made me feel about myself. And I have not felt this way for a long time." He replied softly.

He turned his body fully towards her. Gazing at her, he said "And I will take my time to show you that we are made for each other. I promise."

Seconds passed. Minutes passed. They looked at each other, unmoving, millions of thoughts crossed her mind.

He started crossing their virtual border and stood in front of her, his hands kept in his pockets. "Next Wednesday. I'm bringing you someplace special."

"Special?"

"I'm bad in doing surprises. But wear your best yukata."

The soft tender smile he gave her next made her knees went soft.

She could not remember how the night ended. All she could recall was her heart pulsing endlessly all the way home.

Yue pursed her lips again, picking up the last okra and stashing it into the basket. She stood up and looked forward. "Wang He Di, let's see how long your feelings last."

"Did you kiss her?" Xi Ze asked.

"Or hold her hands?" Kang prodded.

"I doubt he did any of those," said a cool Kuan, sipping his coffee.

It was a rare day that they could get together like this for a cup of coffee. It was Kang who organized it, suggesting they should catch up, two days after Didi's date with Yue.

"Kuan is right. I didn't think it was the right time." Didi smiled. "Since I have two more dates with her, I will take it easy."

"Honestly Didi, I still don't get why you have your eyes on her. Is it love at first sight?"

"Maybe." He was not ready to tell his friends about his dreams of her. Not now.

"What if she doesn't feel the same way about you?" Xi Ze asked.

"You think she hates me?" Didi asked, curious.

"Obviously not. Else, she would not have agreed three dates with you." Kuan replied.

"Yue is always careful about expressing her emotions. Around guys, she is guarded. I'm not sure why. It might have to do with Jackson." Kang chipped in.

"You are overthinking. It's normal for girls to be cautious. You expect her to throw herself at Didi?" Kuan said.

"Of course not! She is entitled to play hard to get," said Kang.

"I will take my time. I told her that. No matter what." Didi said.

"When is your next date? Maybe we should tag along," suggested Xi Ze.

"And do what?"

"Test her. See how she feels about you."

"That sounds fun! Where are you bringing her?" Kuan asked, sitting up with his eyes now wide opened.

"The Bon Odori Festival. She loves Japanese culture. Hey guys, you are not serious, are you? This is OUR date!"

"We will pretend to magically bump into you at the event and if necessary, we will disappear after that." Xi Ze winked.

Didi groaned. "It's not necessary AT ALL. I can take care of my date, just fine."

"I want to bring Jia Qi actually."

"I can bring my mom."

"Do you want to meet my mystery girlfriend? "

"I DON'T WANT TO SEE ANYONE OF YOU THERE. WAKARIMASU-KA?"

The other three laughed. Didi was so teasable sometimes. It was hard to maintain a straight face when they saw how their old friend turned red at his ears. They still saw him as the geeky kid who ran away from girls. And now he was super driven to get to Yue's heart.

"Which day are you going again?" Xi Ze asked, grinning.

Didi made a zipping motion on his lips. The others looked at each other, smiling before they reached out for their coffee.

Yue did not see it coming. Right after their Saturday night performance, Zi Wei and Xiao Gao cornered her. "How was your first date with Didi?"

She gasped. "How the hell did you guys know about it? Kang!" she shouted. She heard a laughter in the back room. "I get you for this!"

"Awww...don't be shy. Yue, you are all red. Didi must have held your hands. Or kissed you! How did he taste?" exclaimed Zi Wei.

"Geez, Wei, how can you even ask her that?" Xiao Gao said, making a disgusted face.

"It's a girly question. Okay, let me rephrase it in a more civilized manner. Did you feel fireworks? Strong feelings?"

Yue groaned. "The only 'strong feelings' I feel right now is annoyance. Stop asking me! We went out for opera, watched the lights and then he sent me home. No touching, kissing or anything like that. Didi is a gentleman!"

"Whoa! Someone is over-protective already!" Zi Wei teased.

"Something is wrong. You would not agree to three dates if you don't like him even a tiny bit."

"Can't anyone here keep a secret?!!"

"You told us yourself, Yue. Three dates and you're out."

Yue mentally slapped herself from having a loose tongue.

"When is the next date? We should come along."

"Why would you? It's my date with him."

"Well, it's seems you are not sure about your feelings so maybe we can help you to grow it somehow. Didi's part we know he is head over heels. But Shen Yue, is probably playing hard to get..again."

"I AM NOT."

"Criminals rarely admit they are wrong. Xiao Gao, shall we do something? Help our friend? We can create moments to bring out Yue's deepest emotions so she can freely express herself."

Yue bit her lips. "I can fully express myself, all right," she mumbled.

"Stop mumbling. Where is he bringing you to?"

"Not telling. Since you guys have your source." Yue pouted, making a face as she grabbed her guitar. "If you guys even show up, that's the end of our friendship."

"You can't. We are still partners in your album production, remember?"

Yue rolled her eyes and sighed loudly. "Karma! I must have done something to you to deserve this." Stomping off, the other two burst into laughter. "You serious about this, Zi Wei?"

She winked. "Why not? It will be fun. Let's get their act together fast." They high-five and then shouted "Kang! We need you!"

Didi was rolling on his bed, starring at the ceiling. It was extremely warm that night and his AC was in full blast. Still, he was sweating profusely. Should I call her?

He had refrained from meeting her over the weekend, trying not to overwhelm her. Giving her space for her feelings.

But the gnawing feeling of wanting to see her was killing him tonight.

"Just two more days. Why can't you wait?" he said, aloud.

He reached out to his phone and opened his Wechat. Just a little message.

Hi, Yue! How have you been doing? Ready for Wednesday?

She replied a few seconds later.

I'm okay! Yes, ready. What else should I bring?

Just your purse. And remember to wear your best yukata and flat sandals. We will be doing some walking.

Garden sighting again?

Hahah, no. You will like this I promise.

You know I hate surprises. The suspense is killing me. ☹️

Me too. But I want it to be special. Like how you are to me.

He waited for a full minute. No response.

Yue? You there?

Finally a few seconds later, she replied.

🙋🏻‍♀️ Sorry, I didn't know what to say.

Be yourself. You can say what you want with me.

That's scary.

What is?

I don't know if you can accept everything about me.

Can I call you? We can talk.

NOOOOOOOO!!!! I'm not ready. This is good.

Okay. Yue?

Huh?

Don't be a stranger. See you in two days.

✌🏻Good night.

Good night. 😴

Wang He Di! Don't scare her away! The last thing he wanted was to make her feel awkward. He hit his own head with his hand. Why did he have to make his confession last week? But that was a magical night for him. Lying on his back, he closed his eyes.

They were standing on the same bridge admiring the lights in the garden, when he spoke. "Yue."

"Hmm..." she replied. After the show, he noticed that she looked a little sleepy. He caught her yawning as they walked toward the garden. Was she bored? Was she tired of seeing him already? That worried him. He decided to speak from
heart. Okaasan always said it is always better to be true to your feelings. He cleared his throat.

"I like you. A lot."

She turned to look at him. He smiled softly as he tilted his head slightly to look at her. She looked concerned. A slight crease appeared between her eyes. Almost immediately, he regretted what he said but was too late. He had to clarify.

"You don't have to say anything. I know I shouldn't say this on our first date. But I need to get it off my chest."

"Didi..." she started. They were standing two feet apart, not even close but he felt the pull from where she was. He closed his sweaty palms, ignoring the heartbeat hammering against his chest. Was he getting a heart attack? What was she going to say?

"What do you see in me that made you feel this way? We know each other for two weeks only."

He knew the answer to this one. "Yue, do you believe me that you made me feel alive? I like how you made me feel about myself. And I have not felt this way for a long time." He replied softly.

He turned his body fully towards her. Gazing at her, he said "And I will take my time to show you that we are made for each other. I promise."

Seconds passed. Minutes passed. They looked at each other, unmoving, only one thought crossed his mind. She would be the only one for him.

He started crossing their virtual border and stood in front of her, his hands kept in his pockets. If he didn't keep them there, he would have held her arms, pulling her close and kissed her open-mouthed, making her knees go weak in his arms. His stomach grew knots that could only be undone by touching her. Being close to her was driving him crazy.

"Next Wednesday. I'm bringing you someplace special."

"Special?"

"I'm bad in doing surprises. But wear your best yukata."

He gave a soft tender smile, hoping she could feel his affections towards her.

The rest of the night was fuzzy for him. All he could recall was his heart pulsing endlessly all the way home.

"Yes, Wang He Di. You are crazy over her." he grinned, fluttering his eyes opened.

It was only moving forward from this point on. He had burnt his bridges and set his eyes on winning her. No turning back. And he had never been this certain.

Author's notes:

Argh! I surprised myself with this chapter. Super like it! What do you think their friends are going to do? Are they going to sabotage their second date? 😂

💜💛 Hsien
5.3.2020

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

27.8K 1.3K 27
As long as they fight together, as long as they remain true to their love for each other, they will prevail. Or so they thought. Ten years ago on th...
16K 499 22
Everyone likes to think that they know what is going on between us but we haven't even started.... Shen Yue and Dylan Wang have both achieved great s...
73.2K 3.4K 38
A forced marriage brings together two actors already on the road to falling in love. But a misunderstanding tears them apart. Two years later, they a...
68.6K 1.9K 51
the journey of a quiet, closed off man and a fiery, maturing girl who deal with heartbreak, love, and abuse whilst trying to find themselves and who...