The One Left Behind

By TheGirlWhoHowledWolf

have you ever been left before? have you left someone? people leave that's the truth. And I believe when they... More

One Left Behind
Exordium Of The Deviant
The Adroit And The Opaque
A Crazy President
Define, Lubฤ“re.
Vacation
Pervert One
Used To
The Greatest Decision
One Week Left of Summer
#1. Go Surfing.
#2. Walk To The Old Village.
#3. Visit The Tayid Lighthouse.
#4. Visit The Church.
Real World
Status: Freedom
Reunion
Night Life
Friendzone
Little Things
The One That Got Away
This Time
Missed
Girlfriend
Boyfriend
Legacy
Nona
Incredible
France
Promise

I'll be an Ashford

43 2 0
By TheGirlWhoHowledWolf

Chapter 15

Cosette

Its already noon when I reached England, its quite cloudy since summer is coming to an end. I immediately saw Rene leaning on the SUV, I smiled at him and he did too.

"Its nice to see you again, miss." He said as I embrace him.

"Its nice to see you too." I smiled as I climbed in the backseat. Rene shut the door close and immediately climbed in the driver's seat, he started the car and hit the busy streets of London.

"So... where's dad?" I asked as I take in my fill of the busy familiar shops that we pass by.

"Actually its sir. Frank that's gonna talk to you." Grand-pérè? I thought his in Austria. I guess, their gonna tell it to me.

"Great!" I sarcastically muttered.

It took a good one hour for us to reach the outskirts of town, to the Ashford's residential manor. The manor's still the same, white paint mostly covers it. It looks like the white house in America if you ask me, just lacking a dome. It looks beautiful, but it was never home. No... it never was, its more of a prison than home. A hell pretending to be a heaven, but no matter how a hell cover its fires it can never cover its sins.

"So... how's my favorite grandchild?" Grand-pérè happily greeted as I hug him back. I never knew the time that my point of view of my family will change, I thought we were perfect but we were broken all along even before I was even born.

"Am doing fine." We sat on the patio, in time when the dailies brought in the afternoon tea. "What are we gonna talk about anyway."

"Maybe we should wait for your father to get back in England." I've pretended to be stupid for a very long time.

"If were gonna wait for him anyway, why did I have to go home urgently?"

"Um... Sette, this is a serious topic... that the whole family should be present." Family?! Did we even have that? Cut the crap already.

"No grand-pérè, this isn't so serious since it didn't take the two of you second thoughts when you sold me off to your business partner's son!" I stood suddenly, grand-pérè jumped a little in shock in my sudden defiance. The memory of me hearing their hush conversation in dad's study came rushing back to me when I was still twelve.

It was late in the evening, that I decided to walk around the manor before going to sleep. I was just passing by dad's study when I heard dad and grand-pérè talking, I wasn't really the eavesdropping type but hearing my name in their conversation changed my mind.

"We already talked about it, we only have to tell it to Sette." Grand-pérè stated as if he was stating business.

"We'll tell her in the right time." Dad answered.

"Are you sure that your doing it to the right person?"

"Yes papa, we already had planned the wedding. It is a big celebration and also a huge opportunity for the company."

"How many shares did the man bought?"

"At least twenty-five percent."

"Hmm... I guess, that's quite great. I've also heard the kid's achievements, and I might say its quite impressive."

Huh? What are they blabbering about anyway? What are they gonna tell me in the right effin time? Who's kid? What achievements? Shares? What is going on that they aren't telling me?!

"How are gonna be sure that Sette will grab this idea?" Grand-pérè asked.

"I know she'll do... she's an Ashford, I know she will."

"But she's also half Giodinni, Christoper." Giodinni? What Giodinni, mom?

"I know, but I know she'll understand."

"I hope so... I hope your daughter don't make the same mistakes as you, history does tend to repeat itself."

"No papa, she'll go beyond any Ashford that ever has or will. And the kid is a fine lad, I know it will only take a matter of time before the two of them warms up to each other."

"But Sette is still young, she still have good years ahead of her. Let's just give her a space to grow more, after all no one grabs the idea of an arrange marriage in the first time."

What?! A-arrange marriage? They what? They arranged me to someone I don't even know?!

I walked back to my room and lay awake on my bed. I didn't slept that night, all that was on my mind is the conversation I've heard. Well I am still young, I'll let it be for now I'll just deal with the problem if its already a nuisance.

That was what I used to think, but now its different. Now I can't just sit there as they plan my future, I should be the one planning it not them. From now on, I'll make my own choices. Its time for the change to take place, and it starts now.

Grand-pérè's brows scrunched up in distaste as he sip in his tea. He was silent for awhile as I stayed standing in front of him.

"Well I guess there's no use in hiding something you already know." He sighed as he placed the teacup on the coffee table. "Don't just stand there! where is your manners child, take your seat."

I sat slowly as I cautiously stare at him. I took a sip in my tea. He sighed once again and stared at me as I placed my teacup on the saucer over the coffee table.

"I guess there's no point of hiding it to you if you already know." His eyes looked at me heavily, eyes darker than the usual carefree aura he usually have towards me.

"Spill."

"We arranged you to the son of our trustworthy business associate." He simply said as if he just said he bought a wine from the convenience store.

"Wow... your saying it like I'm just a thing to you." I unbelievably stammered as I stared at him bewildered. Some family huh?!

"Well... how do you want me to react in saying it, look bloody sorry? Your making me laugh, bambini."

"How could you be this way? I thought you'll at least consider how I'll feel, and dad too!" I outburst. For a loving grandfather I grew to know, his acting opposite the way I know him. What, is that all an act?! Just F this life!

"You are an Ashford." He said pointedly as if its an enough excuse.

"What does that even bloody mean?!" I shouted in frustration.

"It means it shouldn't mean that much to you."

"F•ck that reason!" I yelled as I stood up, and started pacing the room back and fourth.

"Would you just calm down. Its not that a big deal, really dear." He said which made me stop as and stare at dumbfounded, taking a sip to his tea.

"Not a big deal?! Hah!!" I spurted in disbelief and amazement. What the effin kind of hell of a family do I have?! What kind of family will sold off his daughter or granddaughter to some stranger?!

"Why... isn't it?" He said raising an eyebrow at me as I stood there slack jawed. I shook my head in disappointment.

"Grand-pérè how... how—" I continued to shook my head in disbelief, as he continue to sip his tea as if were not talking about my future. "How could you sold me off like that?!"

"Why... should I have demanded higher." He shrugged. "Its traditional Sette, we are family."

"I thought too... but I guess I was wrong." I ran out of the patio, I could hear grand-pérè's voice calling me to come back. I ran straight to the maze garden, I sat on the bench and cried.

Why... why are they doing this to me, I did everything for them! I made myself a name for their liking, I tried to be perfect, I studied hard, I conquer!! But isn't that still enough for them? Am I still not enough for them?! And to think dad agreed to this as well, I can't believe this.

Darkness has already settled in when my tears have dried out, and my eyes can never give tears any more. I walked back towards the manor and went straight to my room. I laid on my bed and looked at the ceiling, I had forgotten when I ever made a decision just for myself of course, except Ryan; he is the greatest decision ever.

"Miss, dinner is already served in the dining hall." A daily announced in the other side of the door. "Miss? Are you awake?"

I still didn't answer which resulted for the daily to knock again, gosh she's annoying. I just want to go back to my own house in Cambridge, I miss Esmeralda. I have so many things to tell her.

"I'll dine in my room!" I shouted.

"But miss, the master wishes for you to dine with him... and he also said he wouldn't take no for an answer." Shit! That old man's really pissing me off, doesn't he know I need space? Or are they even thinking about my well being or perhaps its all effin business for them.

"Tell him I'll go down in a minute." I said standing up. I took a shower for awhile and dressed to another dress.

I came down to the foyer and proceeded to the hallway then the dining hall. The food elegantly settled over the black, sleek table, candelabrum scattered aligned over the table as the chandelier lit up the whole room.

"About time you show up, I'm starving!" Grand-pérè exclaimed as he sat on his chair on the end of the long table. I proceeded to walk towards the other end. "Child sit close, you are fond on sitting beside me when dining."

"I used to, grandfather dear." I feigned a smile then sat on the other end. "I used to when I still thought you cared for me, for us."

"I do care, child." He replied as the appetizers are served before us.

"You... care?" I laughed sarcastically. "Stop spouting nonsense grandfather, do you still think it will still be the same after what... selling me off to your business partner's son?!"

"He is trustworthy." His expression was quite normal, as if we're just talking about the weather.

"Trustworthy people for you are people that are filthy rich, as long as they have money high enough for your standards they are worth to be trusted." I replied, expression just like his.

He stopped eating and glared at me sharply, I raised my head then raised a brow at him. "Don't you dare answer me impudently in my own manor!"

I smiled at him as I stood. "I didn't know I was acting that impudent grandfather dear, I'm sorry... not." I rolled my eyes at him as I walked out of the dining hall.

"Rene we shall leave now. Command a daily to take my bag from my room to the SUV, I just can't stand this place." I ordered as I walked straight out to the manor.

We immediately drove back to Cambridge. Esmeralda welcomed us with a warm smile, obviously innocent in what's happening to this wrecked family of ours.

"Hey sweetheart, did you already had dinner?" She asked as I went straight to the stairs.

"Not now Esmeralda." I briefly muttered as I continued to walk to my room, I exhaustively laid on my bed. I took my phone and stared at Ryan's picture.

I wonder what your doing now. Are you thinking about me? Do you miss me the way I miss you? Three more days and school starts again, I can't wait to see you though I know it won't be the same again.

I fell asleep, phone on hand.

Then the next day, dad came back to London. He went to the manor first, I guess their planning what lies they will tell me so I'd believe their shits. Well guess what? I'm up for all that effin challenge they have got, so they better plan well.

Dad came in when dinner is close, I greeted him with a warm smile. If I know one thing about this two men of mine, they are well fitted to the like father like son quote. So if grand-pérè came to act like that, father would too. If their gonna act like that... might as well give them a show myself.

"Father! It's nice of you to pay me a visit." I smiled as I embrace him, just like I have predicted his reaction was priceless. I felt him hug me back but a bit hesitant, what... you expected to see a furious, yelling daughter to greet you home? Then think again, dad.

"So... oh yes! How's your vacation, hon?" He asked as we proceeded to the dining area. So you wanna play it this way, huh dad? OK let's do this your way.

"Well I enjoyed it so much, its... almost the best summer ever." I stated as we sat down remembering Ryan in the process, I miss him already.

"Almost? How so?"

"You know, how can it be the best anyway if your family finally had guts to tell me that... I don't know, that they sold me off to their business partner after what? Two years?" I said feigning innocence as we started eating. Dad unlike grand-pérè was a bit surprised, he fell his fork under the table in shock.

"You— you knew?" He uneasily asked as the daily replaced his fork, after taking the one under the table.

"Oh yes, I knew. Why wouldn't I, it is MY future." I emphasized the my, as I continued to feign my happy mode.

"Hon, let's talk about this in a civilized manner." He carefully said as if I'm a wild animal that will attack him if he say the wrong words.

"Why... aren't we civilized?" I said as I blinked at him innocently. "After all,what we are gonna talk about is far from being civilized. What kind people would be arranging their daughters to some random person, maybe in the Victorian era they do but damn its the effin twenty-first century."

"Hon, its for your own good." Dad reasoned out, his eyes begging for understanding. Bullshit!

"For my own good?! Oh my!!" I dramatically said. "Or is it for the own good of your dear company?"

"Hon—"

"Cut the crap, dad!" I stood in frustration, his eyes widened in surprise as the table settings clangs when the table shook. "Nothing will ever be a good enough reason why you sold me off for a twenty-five percent share!"

"Oh come on, Sette. Your an Ashford for godsake, cope with it." He sighed.

"You want me to be an Ashford?" I raised my brow in challenge. "I'll be an Ashford!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

44.1K 1.9K 12
โPromise me you won't tell him it's you.โž It's not merely a promise she was asking. Instead she's forcing her to tear her heart. โYou know I love hi...
922 62 31
"you promised me forever but you lied. You're not the same person I grew up with, you changed." "You're right, I have but you have too. It's like I...
1.6K 2 24
After a break up, the chances of moving on is not a 100%. Sometimes, you move forward and find a new love. And sometimes, you just thought you have m...
183K 5.3K 38
A story in which a young girl has to discover who she truely is in the confines of an arranged marriage, and has to find a way to get out of the arr...