The Stone

By IslandNinja

Darkness rises in the realms as Brianna Nobile, a warrior and farmhand is forced into mage craft by a book b... More

Introduction
A Thief in the City
The Book of Shadows
Oh Knight of Slumber
Mana Shock
The Castle
The Queen
What Beauty Can do with a Blade
The Bell Tower
Lady Caren
Panthera
She Will Be Mine
The Queens Sword Seal
Morals
Mages Armor
Gregory
Target Practice
The Other Side
Revish
Jewel
The truth
The Broken Barrel Inn
An Unexpected Traveler
Accepting Her Fate
Fell of the Fire
I Love You?
Khaleda
The Sea Takes Her
Kit Mercer
Your First Mistake
Your Second Mistake
The element: Water
Corcoran Pirates
Foul Play
Leviathan
Ruler of Dragons
Roan's Pledge
Andai: Possesser of the Stone
The Trident King
Like the Gods
The Gladiators
The Blood Moon
Her new council
A Frozen Army
First Flight
The demon Mogan
The Holy Summoning
The Second Stone
Allery's Conviction
Into the Desert
Rebellion in Lesteros
The Chasm
The White Fox Illusion
Night terrors
The Desert Rebels
Roan's Last Words
And we wait.
The life tree
Life's Given Task
Reasoning
Training
The Relic

Prologue

715 34 26
By IslandNinja

Hey everyone! I have been working on this book for almost two months now and I'm so excited to present it to you with my first illustration I have just finished. It will be the cover of the book. Enjoy! Don't forget to vote! Feel free to leave me any comments as well ❤️

#1 in medieval June 2022
#1 in darkfantasy June 2022
#1 in dragons June 2022

A lot of the images I have chosen to portray my characters are not of my own. Eventually I will be casting them in photo shoots done by either myself or a hired model. But I'm not there at this point in time.

Prologue

A fabled tint to the moon symbolizes a powerful event and tonight is the rise of a blood moon in the shadow of Jupiter's alignment. It has been many centuries since their last orbital kiss, and brings forth justice, righteous law, and seems to be focused on me at this time. Here I sit in my room writing the last few pages to my Grimoire. I take a moment to remember the precious times here. My satin draped bed embroidered with lines of gold and silver. The black wood canopy over top with matching drapes, I used to swing from it when I was a child.

I bring my eyes to the only empty wall not covered in tapestries and paintings, it still has my name and height carved into it when I was just five years old. Positioned to my left is a gold leafed armoire that holds my most beautiful gowns. Though all of these memories are precious, the one thing I will miss most is the view from the archway window that looks out over the city center. I have spent many hours daydreaming of knights and princes who would ride up on their valiant steeds and sweep me up into their brave arms as we gallop into the night...Just dreams. I shake my head and laugh at my frivolous ideas.

This brings me to the desk where I sit. I recall the countless hours studying history and mathematics. I excelled in mathematics and started experimenting with alchemy which was shunned upon and considered a demonic craft in my realm. I tried to stay away from those types of interactions, but they seemed to follow me throughout my entire life. Eventually I gave into them, and started into mage-craft, hiding it as much as I could from the world around me. But alas, I was found in the forest reciting one of my strongest spell casts, by one of my husband's little birds. She watched the entire incantation as I sacrificed a goat and drew the pentacle on my naked body. I was not able to cover that up as a Catholic ritual.

Now I write the last pages in my book. This will be a spell that is binding to me and to the person who finds it.

I write,

"Shall this book be your talisman, shall this book be your might, let it be your bloodline, let it be your right." I prick my finger with the end of my ink feather pen and finish with the symbol of my sigil as the queen of Lesterose,

The Queen's Sword sigil. I write below it as magic seeps into the blood ink.

I take off my crown encrusted in Orange jewels and run my fingers along its five pointed spikes. Tears swell in my eyes as I start to reflect on my past decisions. I pick up the orange stone around my neck and kiss it. In my hand I hold a rare pendant, a large orange stone called a Spessartite, legend says it came directly from a dragon's heart. It had fallen into my possession on the day of my wed. A renown healer had come from the land beyond the seas to bear witness and bless our marriage. She brought a small box with her made of silver and dragon scale containing the stone. I remember the first time I held it up by its black herringbone chain, looking into the center of it I saw what I thought was myself at first but as I looked deeper into the stone the figure changed, it wasn't me anymore although her features were similar with blonde hair and green eyes, she was beautiful with an innocent smile on her face. I knew then this girl would hold the stone one day.

But my time in this world has passed and the stone must go to another. I place the stone on the front cover of the book and coil the chain around it then whisper a spell to bind it to the book.

"Let this pendant be a symbol of its power, let this chain be what holds it to you, let the blood be what lifts it, let your heart be what takes it."

The Spessartite glows orange with bursts of yellow as it melts its way into the book cover becoming one with it.

"It is done." I take the book in my hands and kiss the stone giving it one last farewell before I walk over to the arched windows. I call forth my ravens and they swoop in perching on the stone gargoyles outside. My most treasured raven is already sitting beside me.

"Revish my love, take this book. It is not mine any longer, it must go to its rightful owner, search for a girl with sunshine hair, deep green eyes, and a smile that can steal your heart. The book will keep you alive until she is found, however long it takes."

Revish caws.

"Yes my queen." He takes the book in his talons and calls to his companions to follow as they fly away into the night.

I hear the clanking of metal boots on the stone floor. They are coming for me, my beloved and his guards with their false accusations, driving their hatred for me. If only they could understand what this power is and the good it can do. If only....They stop at the door.

"We have come for redemption, Lady Caren. It is time for your judgment." The door crashes open and ten castle guards rush the room, swords in hand.

They encircle me as I sit and point the sharpened tips at my throat. I raise my hands in surrender.

"Please stand Lady Caren."

I do not struggle against them as they force me to stand. They grab my wrists chaining them behind my back and push me ahead, walking me through the door then down the hall. Sadness fills my heart as I do not see my husband with them.

"Where is my King?"

"He is waiting for you at the castle entrance." Joseph, the hand of the King, says. He has come into his rank through his knowledge for battle and trade and was an excellent advisor. We had grown close over the years and I can see the sorrow in his eyes for me.

"Joseph?"

"Yes, my lady."

"I am sorry for betraying your trust."

"I know Lady Caren." He holds my arm at the joint as we walk through long castle halls. No one spoke after that, there was no need for words, what was done cannot be undone, there is no sense in pleading against my retribution.

We walk through the courtyard of pink roses and fountains then into the garden of perfectly manicured shrubs and bushes. The white stoned pathway leads us to the large doors separating the castle from the city. They bring me just outside the doors to the large steps in front and stop me . I look around at my city, my home, my people. Their faces are full of disgust and anger as they spit and throw things at me. I look to my right and see the "reaper" as they call him, sharpening his axe. There are five knights beside him. I know them all well, they have served me for ten years now, but that doesn't matter anymore. There will be no mercy from them or anyone here.

To my left is my daughter and son, their faces are strong but their eyes are red and swollen from their tears. To the left of them is my love, my king, my heart. At least he was. But my "taint" as he calls it has turned his mind leaving only hatred for me. He signals to Joseph and the knights behind me. They walk me to the top of the stairs then push me into a kneeling position and leave me there. My King comes to me grabbing the back of my hair and forces my head back. The crowd cheers and he raises his hand for silence.

"Lady Caren, Queen of the Realm, ruler of Lesterose! I relieve you of your crown and leadership. You have betrayed your throne and your people with the craft of demons! You shall pay for your crimes with your head!"

The crowd erupts with cheers. Tears fall from my cheeks as I turn my head to look at his handsome face one last time.

"Atlas, I love you and always will." He shoves my head forward in anger.

"You love nothing, witch!" He says and spits at me. I sob at the stone below me. "Have you any last words?"

"Yes."

"Make them count!" He says.

The torches of Lesterose burn tall today. I can feel their heat, lighting up the darkness in the city. But something else lights the shadows in this realm. I look up to the sky and see it, the blood moon, as red as can be. A smile forms on my face. I speak loud and clear.

"People of Lesterose, I have not failed you. The magic within me is not what you think, it is an enhancement of my soul not a darkness to fear. One day mankind will understand and embrace it!"

"From the forest to the seas,

From the air I breathe,

As the blood moon rises, hear my call"

The whistling sounds of wolves howling in the distance pierce the air. The crowd grows nervous and the torches on either side of me explode with light.

"Let my body be a vessel and my soul be the keeper. I call forth Morrigan, goddess of death to take my soul to its proper place and leave my body in its proper state. Let my power be passed on through my blood! Let the "reaper" make his judgment upon me!."

I look to my King and my children once more, then lower my head.

He signals the reaper. I hear his footsteps grinding against the stone and the clink of his axe being raised. I look up at the crowd one last time. Then darkness

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

32 0 11
A darkness slithers into the dead's haven and turns their spirits against the living. An elven mage who enters the realm of the dead at will... A r...
25 9 9
Once powerless to shield her family from tragedy, Yoora Lee's destiny takes a turn when she is gifted with the powers of the God of Light. Fuelled by...
20 6 9
In another world where Gods make their presence known, where magic grants true power, and where unstable creatures of all kinds roam free... All peop...
542K 15.9K 42
When Clara Allenson stumbles on an antique necklace, she does not expect it to save her life-until it does. It plunges her into the depths of an ench...