You Have My Word

By BrendaDaaeDestler

Book three in The Beauty Underneath series. Matthew Collins and Catherine Daei are now married, but their sto... More

Intro
Chapter 2: I Can't Believe It
Chapter 3: One and Then Another One
Chapter 4: Always Be Here
Chapter 5: I Miss Him
Chapter 6: Two Months Later
Chapter 7: We'll Get Through It Together
Chapter 8: Gender Reveal
Chapter 9: Not Young Anymore
Chapter 10: Four Months Later
Chapter 11: You Feel Okay?
Chapter 12: I'm So Scared
Chapter 13: She's Drving Me Crazy
Chapter 14: Don't You Dare
Chapter 15: Come Back To Me
Chapter 16: Four Months Later
Chapter 17: Seven Months Later
Chapter 18: You Wouldn't Understand
Chapter 19: I Thought We Had Agreed
Chapter 20: Just Someplace
Chapter 21: I Was Protecting You
Chapter 22: Six Months Later
Chapter 23: Three Years Later
Chapter 24: Cancer?
Chapter 25: I Love You Too
Chapter 26: He's Gone
Chapter 27: Miss Daei
Chapter 28: You'll Figure Out a Way
Chapter 29: You Can't- No
Chapter 30: How Does She Do That?
Chapter 31: Please, Not Violet
Chapter 32: Same Difference
Chapter 33: Not Much They Can Do
Chapter 34: True Love Endures
Book Four

Chapter 1: Six Months Later

169 13 7
By BrendaDaaeDestler

Matt walked into the kitchen and cringed. "You know I hate it when you peel potatoes with a knife."

"I couldn't find the peeler," Catherine shrugged.

"Can I at least help you?" Matt sighed.

Catherine set down the potato and looked at him skeptically. "When we were dating, I asked you to cut up a carrot, and you ended up dropping the knife, cutting yourself, and getting stitches."

—————

"Excuse me!" A young man yelled, pushing past the crowd. "Coming through! Important package here!"

His fiancee grabbed him by the arm and jerked him backward. "You thought you could escape me?!"

"Yes?"

Mari gave a smirk. "Without saying goodbye? Really, Josh, you should know better."

"Shh! They might hear you!"

"Relax. Cath is busy at the apartment right now," Mari chuckled. "Just chill out."

Josh bit his lip. "Fine. You packed for Saturday?"

"Packed and ready as I'll ever be," Mari smiled, kissing his cheek.

A small pebble slid through the air.

"Watch it, Taylor," Matt chuckled.

Josh jumped at least four feet away from Mari. "Well, if it isn't the new manager," he sneered.

"The one and only. Catherine banished me from the apartment," Matt sighed. "Apparently, I was 'backseat cooking'. I didn't know that was a thing."

"Oh, yeah, you don't want to do that with her," Mari laughed. "But I give you credit for trying."

"Thanks," Matt chuckled. "It's cute, really. She's excited to see Carlos. It's been awhile."

"I know. I can't believe he's been in America for six months," Mari sighed. "Cath took it pretty hard when he left. For her sake, I'm glad he's coming back."

"Yeah. Even I miss him," Josh nodded in affirmation.

"He's a great guy," Matt nodded. "He's been there for Cath, and for that, I am grateful."

"Yep. Well, I have work. I'll see you later, Matt," Mari said quickly before scurrying away.

"I don't understand why you won't go after her, man," Matt sighed, shaking his head.

"Yeah," Josh mumbled, "it's complicated."

"Well...I'll see you for dinner tonight, right?"

"Yep," Josh nodded, popping the p.

"Alright," Matt smiled. "I have to go buy some flowers. It's Cath's and my six month anniversary."

"Sounds good," Josh grinned. "I'll see if Uriah needs any help, and then I'll head over to help Cath, if she needs it."

"Be careful," Matt warned. "She gets testy when she's in the kitchen."

"Alright," Josh laughed.

—————

"Come in," Catherine replied to the knock on the front door as she chopped some vegetables.

"Little Lotte let her mind wander," Carlos said as he entered the kitchen. "Little Lotte thought, 'Am I fonder of dolls, or of goblins, or of shoes?'"

"Carlos," Catherine laughed softly.

"Or of riddles, or of frocks?" Carlos continued. "Or of chocolates?"

"No. 'What I love best,' Lotte said, 'is when I'm asleep in my bed'," Catherine said in a soft tone. She continued, singing, "And the Angel of Music sings songs in my head."

Together, they sang, "The Angel of Music sings songs in my head."

Carlos laughed. "That never gets old."

"Certainly not," Catherine chuckled, hugging her cousin. "It's so good to see you."

"It's good to see you too," Carlos smiled. "Have you put on weight?"

"A few pounds," Catherine laughed. "But don't you dare say anything in front of Matt. He hasn't noticed."

"Alright," Carlos chuckled. "Speaking of, happy six month anniversary."

"Thank you," Cath smiled.

Mari and Josh arrived soon after, standing about four feet apart in the hallway.

"Hey," Catherine smiled, opening the door. "It's good to see you guys. Come in."

Both sulked in one after the other and took separate sides of the room.

Carlos came out from the kitchen. "I fixed the potatoes."

"They didn't need fixing," Catherine argued.

"Fine. They were missing something. The something that I added. Now they are perfect. You're welcome."

Catherine rolled her eyes. "Mhm."

"Is Lexie coming?" Josh asked hopefully. "I want to see her little brother."

"Yes, she'll be here, along with her mother and Hayden," Catherine nodded. "Bill can't make it, but Lexie's boyfriend, Henry, is coming. They're engaged now, but she hasn't told anyone other than me. They plan to announce it tonight."

"Oh, a secret engagement," Mari said unenthusiastically. "Fun."

"Think of it," Catherine sang.

"A secret engagement. But why is it a secret? What do we have to hide?" Carlos questioned, pretending to be Raoul.

"It's not hiding, it's protecting. Protecting Henry from getting killed by Matt."

"If you ask me, secret engagements are so cliché," Carlos gagged.

"I know, right?" Catherine chuckled.

"At least they're not eloping," Josh said with a roll of his eyes. "So predictable. Stupid Henry."

"You're just mad," Mari said bitterly as she made her way across the room, "that Lexie's taken."

"I don't care one inkling about Lexie."

"Yeah?"

Josh grabbed her by the waist and pulled her in, kissing her abruptly. "Yeah."

Mari acted quickly and pushed him away before he could realize his mistake.

Catherine's eyes widened. "I'm...going to go fix the potatoes," she said hurriedly, practically running to the kitchen.

"Wow," Carlos said slowly. "For once in my life...I have absolutely zero idea what to say."

Mari turned red and grabbed Josh by the shirt. "Fix this or I'll kill you."

"Right," Josh said timidly. "On it." He peeked around the kitchen corner and snuck up behind Cath, twirling her around and kissing her quickly with a cocky grin. "See ya later, Cathy! I'm off to get cups."

"I'm...m-married," Catherine stammered in confusion. "Try that again and I might kill you."

"What's a kiss between friends?" Josh grinned. "Don't tell Matt! Later!" He bolted from the room.

"I think I'm going to be sick," Catherine gagged.

"I say we poison his dinner," Mari muttered angrily as she entered the kitchen.

"No, I'm actually going to be sick."

Mari's mind filled with slight offense. "He isn't that ugly, Cath." She watched as Catherine's face twisted into a painful look of nausea and frowned. "You alright, Cath?" She asked with worry.

Catherine shook her head and hurried to the bathroom. She was back in a few minutes with a heavy sigh. "Where were we?"

"Are you okay?!" Mari asked hurriedly, running up to her. "Cath, you gave me a heart attack."

"I'm fine," Cath shrugged. "I just...I had a little bug last week. Just do me a favor and don't tell Matt?"

Mari frowned. "Why?"

"I don't want him worrying," Catherine sighed.

"I'm worrying," Carlos shouted from the couch. "Just in case somebody out there cares."

Mari's eyes narrowed in suspicion.

"What's the look for?" Catherine laughed.

"Well...you're not...right?"

"I'm not what?"

"You know."

"Pregnant?"

"Yeah. But I mean no, right?" Mari laughed awkwardly.

"No," Catherine replied, shaking her head. "We agreed that we would at least wait a year."

"Right," Mari nodded. "But-"

"You did say you put on a couple pounds!" Carlos yelled over.

"Okay. Raise a hand if you're not helping," Catherine sighed.

Mari raised an eyebrow. "Have you checked?"

Catherine went pale. "Oh god."

"What?" Mari frowned, resting a hand on her shoulder.

"It's all adding up."

Mari bit her lip. "Sorry."

"I-I can't be pregnant," Catherine stammered. "Right?"

"I'll take ya to the drug store. Come on, kid," Carlos laughed, hopping off the couch.

"Now? What if Matt gets back?"

"I think you should go now. It'll give you time to process," Mari said thoughtfully, "if it's true."

"Alright," Catherine sighed. "Let's go."

"I'll cover for you," Mari nodded, "if he shows up."

"Thanks."

—————

Catherine stared at the three tests in disbelief. "It can't be right," she whispered, shaking her head. She opened the door to the bathroom.

"Well?" Mari asked softly.

"I've taken three and they've all come out positive."

"Congrats!" Mari squeaked, tackling Cath in a hug.

"You cannot tell Matt," Catherine said sternly. "I'm making an appointment for tomorrow. I don't want to tell him until I've heard it from Jack."

"Cath, all he will tell you at this point is to take a test," Mari laughed.

"Mari, just let me do this the way I want," Catherine sighed.

"Alright," Mari said softly, "sorry."

"No, it's not your fault. Just...wow, I'm pregnant."

"Yeah," Mari chuckled. "Have fun with that."

"Matt's going to flip," Cath moaned.

"Flip and then flop and then spoil you forever," Mari nodded.

"I have to go hide the tests before he gets home."

"Alright," Mari nodded. "When do you think you'll tell him?"

"I'm thinking maybe when I go into labor," Catherine laughed nervously.

"Come on," Mari laughed. "Really. I wanna know so I can mark Matt's funeral on my calendar."

"I don't know," Catherine sighed. "Just don't say anything."

"I wouldn't dream of it."

Just then, Matt came through the front door, so Cath quickly fled to the bathroom.

"Josh kissed Cath!" Mari yelled immediately, covering for her friend.

"I'm gonna kill him," Matt sighed.

"I recommend the lasso," Mari babbled. "I mean, unless your going with something more modern. It wasn't like an 'I like you' kiss, though. It was like a 'see ya later, I'm having a great day' type thing, I guess."

"Death. Slow and painful," Matt said threateningly.

"I'm back!" Josh thundered from the front door. "I brought apology pie!"

Catherine came out of the bathroom, glanced at Matt, and darted hastily into the kitchen.

"Hey Honey!" Matt yelled after her.

"Hi," she called back meekly

"How was your day?"

"Very weird."

Matt frowned and walked happily into the kitchen after her. "I missed you."

Catherine kissed his cheek and wrapped her arms around him tightly. "I missed you too."

"I'm gonna beat Josh up if that's what your being weird about," Matt smiled.

"Carlos added something to my scalloped potatoes," Cath pouted.

"How dare he!" Matt gasped, kissing her cheek.

"And what's worse? Whatever he did made them better. I'm going to have to listen to him gloat all night."

"I can duct tape his mouth closed."

"Perfect," Catherine smiled. "Have I told you how much I love you lately?"

"Nope," Matt said thoughtfully. "We've both been so busy recently."

Catherine kissed him tenderly. "I love you so much."

"I love you too. Don't burn the ham. Gosh, disciplining Josh is like having a kid," Matt cackled. "I'm gonna give him a talking to. Be back in five."

"Alright," Cath smiled. She added to yourself, "Go practice disciplining on Josh. You'll need the skill sooner than you think."

"Josh!" Matt boomed. "Get over here or I'm taking your computer."

"Yep," Catherine nodded. "He'll he disciplining our kid."

"What's wrong with you lately?" Matt asked with a scoff as he took Josh aside.

"I'm just in a good mood," Josh smiled.

"You're never in a good mood," Matt said suspiciously. "Ever."

"Well, I am," Josh shrugged.

"Why?" Matt said slowly.

"I can't say," Josh replied with a sheepish smile.

"You're acting weird-er than normal."

Just then, there was a knock on the door. Catherine quickly answered it, and Maddie, her baby son Hayden, Lexie, and Henry stepped in. "It's good to see you," Cath smiled.

"You so much as talk to Lexie," Matt threatened.

"Hi Lexie," Josh smirked.

"Hi Josh," she laughed.

Mari as she walked by stepped hard on Josh's foot. "Ouch," he muttered.

"You guys still aren't talking, are you?" Matt sighed sadly.

"We are," Josh shrugged. "But it's complicated."

"Really?" Matt said in shock. "After your fight at the wedding, we didn't think we'd get you two in the same building."

"She apologized."

"Really?" Matt said slowly. He watched as Mariah sent Josh a glance from across the room that made his friend blush red.

"Yeah."

Matt gently grabbed Josh's sleeve. "Leave Cath alone."

"Will do."

Author's Note: This first chapter is dedicated to Fangirl1327, 00VesperFangirl, xxElectricRosexx, and WillyW_onka. Thank you guys for all your support!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

39.7K 909 19
Emily is dating Derek Morgan and for the first time things feel right. They're raising her daughter together and there's nothing Isabella wants more...
16.8K 588 23
Charlotte is a simple chorus girl at the Paris Opera House. Her father is deceased, and her mother left. She doesn't have any siblings either. At lea...
5.7K 110 16
Angelique had been disowned by here mother and father because of her face. People had mocked her calling her the Devil's Demon Daughter. Madame Giry...
12.1K 360 30
After the opera house burned down everybody thought that was the last of opera and the phantom who lived there. 5 years later the opera house is rebu...