ELUSIVE (Book 2)

Od hidden_1nk

Sawyer & Opal, how it starts. Více

CHAPTER 1
CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER 3
CHAPTER 4
CHAPTER 5
CHAPTER 6
CHAPTER 7
CHAPTER 8
CHAPTER 9
CHAPTER 10
CHAPTER 11
CHAPTER 12
CHAPTER 13
CHAPTER 15
CHAPTER 16
CHAPTER 17
CHAPTER 18
CHAPTER 19
CHAPTER 20
CHAPTER 21
CHAPTER 22
CHAPTER 23
CHAPTER 24
CHAPTER 25
CHAPTER 26
CHAPTER 27
CHAPTER 28
CHAPTER 29
CHAPTER 30
CHAPTER 31
CHAPTER 32
CHAPTER 33
CHAPTER 34
CHAPTER 35
CHAPTER 36
CHAPTER 37
CHAPTER 38
CHAPTER 39
CHAPTER 40
CHAPTER 41
CHAPTER 42
CHAPTER 43
CHAPTER 44
CHAPTER 45
CHAPTER 46
CHAPTER 47
CHAPTER 48
CHAPTER 49
CHAPTER 50
CHAPTER 51
CHAPTER: 52
CHAPTER 53
CHAPTER 54
CHAPTER 55
CHAPTER 56
CHAPTER 57
CHAPTER 58
CHAPTER 59
CHAPTER 60
CHAPTER 61
CHAPTER 62
CHAPTER 63
CHAPTER 64
CHAPTER 65
CHAPTER 66
CHAPTER 67
CHAPTER 68
CHAPTER 69
CHAPTER 70
CHAPTER 71
CHAPTER 72
CHAPTER 73
CHAPTER 74
CHAPTER 75
CHAPTER 76
CHAPTER 77
CHAPTER 78
CHAPTER 79
CHAPTER 80
CHAPTER 81
CHAPTER 82
CHAPTER 83
CHAPTER 84
CHAPTER 85
CHAPTER 86
CHAPTER 87
CHAPTER 88
CHAPTER 89
CHAPTER 90
CHAPTER 91
CHAPTER 92
CHAPTER 93
CHAPTER 94
CHAPTER 95

CHAPTER 14

242 29 94
Od hidden_1nk

"We can't hide here forever..." I tell Sawyer. Running from the hospital was the only choice we had. We're sitting in a dark alley way, the only thing I hear is Sawyers heavy breathing. I know he's in pain but he's not showing it.

"Don't you think I know that, Opal..." He spits. I glare at him and lean back against the wall. He breaths out and slowly starts to get up.

"Are you sure you're okay?" I ask, quickly getting up to assist him, but he doesn't let me.

"We need to borrow a phone..."

"You said that already. Your brother isn't answering. Are you sure you gave me the right number?" I question.

"You sure you marked in the right number?" He counters and I stop. Did I?

I rehearse the number back to him and he pinched the bridge of his nose.

"Of course..." He says and he walks out of the alley way.

"If you were more patient and let me memorize the number instead of just telling me once then maybe we wouldn't be in this situation."

Sawyer ignores me and continues walking down the street.

"I knew I should have stayed home. I probably would be snug in bed right now, with no worries...." I say out loud, sighing.

"Doubt it..." Sawyer counters in.

"How would you know?" I snap.

"Whit, he's not as nice as you think. He's a smart bastard. He doesn't care about anything, all he knows how to do is destroy."

"What is that supposed to mean?" I cross my arms over my shoulder.

"Someone must have tipped him..." Sawyer mutters to himself.

"What's your plan now? Besides getting us killed." I ask, rolling my eyes although he can't see me.

"If you shut up for one second then maybe I will tell you..." Sawyer casually says.

"Oh good, I'm glad we're not wondering around aimlessly. I'm glad you have a plan."

Getting under his skin is my plan. He literally kidnapped me from my room and my stupid self followed him.

I stay quiet, the curiosity of the wanting to know what the plan is, is eating me up alive.

Sawyer turns around to make sure I'm still following him. We're in a rural neighborhood and I'm not sure what he has planned.

"Why can't we just knock on someone door and ask to use their phone?" I question. 

"Too risky." He tersely comments back.

"I'm willing to take the risk..." I tell him and start walking up to a random door.

"I don't think you understand..." He grabs my arm, slightly yanking me back.

"Asking for one phone call isn't the end of the world." I argue.

"We've been on the news. I don't want to risk being recognized. And even if we weren't they will find out we used someone's phone and trace it back to my brother."

"I still don't understand why we, no I need to run away." I pause and start walking back to the door, when I turn around, Sawyer is a mere inch away from my face. "And especially with you..." I glare at him again and start walking up to a random house.

"I can't do this, not with you." Sawyer barks, the venom in his voice makes me stop.

"That makes two of us.." I mutter, but I know he hears.

A few lights turn on and I see someone peeking through a window. I turn to walk back to Sawyer but he's gone.

I watch as the front door flies open and an elderly man walks out, turning on the light from outside.

"Do you have any idea what time it is, girl?" The man grumpily tells me and I nod no. I look around for Sawyers, but I don't see him.

"Well it's too damn late. What are you doing out here?" He says and I see someone standing behind him, I think it's his wife.

"I think I'm lost, is it okay if I use your phone?" I question.

"No. Now go home." The man says and he shuts the door.

Note to self: don't bother people so late.

I walk back down to the side walk when I hear clapping from behind me.

"That was entertaining to watch. Laughed a few times." I hear Sawyer behind me. I sit on the side of the curb, ignoring him.

"Not everyone is going to lend a helping hand. You can't trust everyone you meet and you certainly cant think that everyone has your best interest at heart because they don't. People look out for only themselves." Sawyer lectures me, he sits down beside me.

"All I'm hearing is I shouldn't trust you.." I bite back, my hand on my chin. I don't think I sound audible. I need sleep.

Sawyer doesn't flinch at the harshness of my words, instead he smiles.

"And yet here you are."

"What time is it?" I change the subject. I watch as Sawyer takes out the pocket watch and my eyes widen.

"Almost four."

I don't listen to the time, all my focus on the watch.

"Evan is on his way.." I hear Sawyer far away, my eyes glued to the watch.

"Talk." Sawyer demands as soon as he notices I'm tuned out.

"So when you travel in...travel in time."

Sawyer laughs, knowing that this topic would come up eventually. I keep my voice quiet, and I look back to see if the old grumpy man is still watching. He isn't.

"You're a..." I find it hard to say time traveler. I don't know how any of this stuff works.

"Masafir alwaqt." (Arabic: Time traveler)

"What?"

"That's what they would call me if I were in Egypt."

"How many languages do you know?" I question.

"A few..." He coughs into his shirt and I nod.

"How does it work?"

"I don't know. Trying to figure it out myself. I do know that going back in time and trying to change something doesn't help. We can't change the past."

"Explain?"

"Ok, hmm, it's like when you watch a movie and it plays in a loop. That's kind of how going back in time is. We are just interrupting the string of time, watching things play out. We can interact with everyone but as soon as we leave it slings back to being played out."

I nod trying to follow his explanation,

"So, say I go back in time and I stop I don't know, Hitler from doing bad things, at that moment it will stop, but as soon as I leave, everything Hitler did will stay play out?" I explain it back to him in a way I understand.

"Exactly.." He says with a nod.

"I'm trying to find a way to stop that from happening." Sawyer says out loud and I shake my head.

"No. If there's one thing I know from watching movies is you should never mess with time."

"Time messes with us so why not.." Sawyer shrugs.

"You do realize once you create something..." I stop myself. Sawyer isn't looking at me, he's already walking away from.

"You've already created it..." Sawyer guffaws our loud, his head back.

"Not created, no."

"But you have it."

Sawyer stares at me, and the edge of his lip twitches up into a barely there smile.

"Destroy it.." I tell him when he doesn't answer. Sawyer turns his back to me, but he hears me charging to him and he turns around to stop me.

"No you can't have the watch." He says, and he lifts the watch above me. He's too tall I'm unable to reach.

"You owe me. I need to see them."

"Why?" He questions. And I drop my arms in surrender.

"How would you feel if you never got to see your parents?"

"Happy." He quickly answers. I shake my head,

"I don't believe that."

He drops his arms down and walks to me,

"I. Don't. Care." He whispers into my ear. I knee him and quickly grab the watch from his hand.

"Opal. No. Wait. You can't do that. You don't know how to use it. You'll destroy the world..." Sawyers serious face turns into hysterical laughter. "You really think I'm a dumbass don't you?" He says between laughs.

"Thats just a pocket watch. Hurry up, Evan is going to meet us."

"No." My voice croaks and I stand in place. "You can't do that, I'm far from home. I have no idea what's going on. You owe me."

Sawyer stands staring at me, he eventually sighs and walks toward me.

"Careful what you wish for." Before I can protest he grabs my hand and then there's darkness.

I open my eyes, my grip around Sawyers hand has to be killer. I look around, snow is falling. Christmas lights on every house. It has to be around Christmas time.

"It's freezing."

"Come on." Sawyer says and I follow his lead. I don't recognize anything around me. It's a nice neighborhood, calm. A few dogs are barking and the smell of chimneys makes me want to stay forever.

"Ground rules: one, you can't tell anyone who you are. Two, don't draw too much attention on yourself. Three, don't wander off. I don't know what happens when we are in a time zone for too long. Right now you're at least three years old so you're unrecognizable." I nod, knots growing in my stomach. I'm not sure how to feel.

"Coats...I'm fucking freezing." Sawyer grumbles.

We take a bus to a near by mall and we change into warmer clothes.

We didn't exactly pay for these clothes but none of that will matter as soon as we're gone.

"So, where do my parents live?" I question.

"Your parents throw lavish parties. So we will blend in just fine."

"How do you know so much about my parents?" I question.

"Long story, Whit." He quickly says. I find that hard to believe.

We're in New York, we take a taxi to a large tall building.

"My parents lived in a penthouse?" I question to myself. The entrance of the extravagant hotel has a bouncer with a checklist.

"Names..." He asks, uninterested.

"Opal." I smile at him. "Walton?" I question more ham answer.

"No name, remember." Sawyer harshly whispers into my ear. My smile falters but I keep my composure.

"The Walton's have a daughter?" He questions to himself. He opens the elevator and presses the button to the top floor.

"They own the whole first floor?"

"I don't think we're dresses for a Christmas party..." I quietly comment.

"I'm fine, I don't know about you..." Sawyer eyes me.

"I see you've never heard of comfy casual."

"I have, but you, you take it further. It's like you're not even trying."

I glare at him, but he has sickly sweet smile plastered on his lips.

"Whatever." I walk out of the elevator and hide before Sawyer can follow after me.

There are a lot of people in ugly Christmas sweaters, and some who are dressed fancy. I think I fit it. My hair is a mess but other than that I think I'm fine.

I catch Sawyer talking to a black haired lady, who is wearing a tight black dress. She seems interested in him, always touching his chest. If only she knew he's like five right now.

I wander down a small hallway that leads into a kitchen. There a few people having drinks. Something smells like it's baking in the oven. I take off my jacket, the warmth from inside making me hot. 

I freeze in spot. I see her, rushing to the oven. She's laughing, telling everyone to move out of the way.

I think that's my mom. No, it is my mom. Her curly hair is a big give away.  I know where I get my curly hair from. I always thought it would be from my dad.

"Hey Letty, where's Will?" An elderly lady speaks up.

"You know you're son. He's at work. I'm surprised he convinced my brother to be here. You know how they are." My mom slinky jokes, slightly complains.

I admire them from afar. She's my grandma. I have a grandma. Everyone told me all my family is dead, or didn't want me.

My mom looks around the room and she spots me staring. I can't help but state back, wanting to hug her. She smiles at me and starts cutting up the ham.

"Oh, shoot. Let me check on Opal. Pamala, can you please cut the rest. I'll be back." She rushes pass me. She touches my shoulder as she says excuse me and I notice she's wearing the necklace I'm wearing.

"We're here! Let the party begin!" I hear two men shout. I walk back into the main room and accidentally bump into Sawyer.

"You okay?" He whispers into my ear. The black haired girl eyes me and I turn to face Sawyer. I glare at him and walk right pass him, ignoring him.

When I'm in the main room I see Whit, who looks exactly the same and next to him, my dad?

They're both drunk.

"I brought wine." My uncle slurs. I see my mom coming out from down the hall, closing the door quietly behind her.

She rolls her eyes as she catches Whit waving his hands in the air.

"Didn't think you guys would make it." She takes the wine bottle from Whit, but he grips onto it.

"Everyone, gather around." My uncle calls everyone to the large dining room table. He rushes to the kitchen but stops in his tracks when he sees me. He slowly blinks, taking a double look.

Everyone's is too busy gathering around, we're the only two in the hallway.

"Where did you get that necklace?"

My hand immediately flies to the necklace and hide hold onto it.

"You like it? I got it at the mall." I quickly lie. Hopefully he's too drunk to know what's happening.

"It's beautiful..." He eyes me, not sound drunk at all. I watch as he walks pass me and he keeps turning to see if I'll leave. I pretend I do and when he's in the kitchen I hide in the hallway.

He grabs a three Champaign glass cups and pours the wine he bought. I can hear him mutter a few things angrily, but I can't make out what he's saying.

I watch as he pulls a small vial from his coat pocket and pour a clear liquid into each glass.

What is he doing?

I rush to the living room as he comes around the other end.

"Sawyer..." I call out multiple times, but I can't find him.

"I'd like to thank my sister for always being there and my brother in law for being the greatest work partner I could ask for. Merry Christmas and I love you both." Whit says a cheesy toast and everyone claps.

"Heard you were looking for me..." I jump, stared from Sawyer sneaking up behind me to whisper into my ear.

"Something is wrong..." I tell him, but he just stares at me.

"Food is ready!" My mom announces and Sawyer rushes to the kitchen.

"What? Food is food." Sawyer shrugs.

I give him a weird look and he walks off.

"Will, the nanny isn't here yet. She's supposed to bring diapers."

"I think I have some in the car. If not I can go out and get some." I cut into their private conversation. They both turn to me, surprised I'm offering.

"Oh no, that's alright honey."

I shake my head,

"It's no worries. What size is she?"

"If you insist. Size one." She says and I smile.

I need fresh air. There's too many people in there and Sawyer can care less about what's going on.

I think I remember seeing a small corner store. There are still people trying to get in and I wave hi to the security guard.

"Hey, by any chance do you know where I can get baby diapers?"

"There's a CVS two blocks down." He points behind me and I thank him.

New York is freezing this time of year, but the bright light of the city somehow makes it warm. Don't get me started on the swarm of people who are still out walking about. It's like an amusement park twenty four seven.

My skin feels like it's going to burn off and the strong smell of cigarets and gasoline from all the cars brings me back to reality.

This isn't my reality. I'm just interrupting the past, it's all going to go back the way it was.

I forgot I have no money, but I look around the store. Needing to be warm for a little bit.

"Merry Christmas. We're closing in five." The man at the counter says and I smile with a nod. There are different snacks and drinks I haven't seen before, they're discontinued now.

I walk back out and make my way back to the pest house. There is a lot of commotion happening, police cars and sirens in front of the building.

I run over but the police block me off.

"That's my building. My mom is inside." I plead with the officer and he lets me in. I rush into the elevator and the first thing I hear is a baby crying and Sawyer standing by the outside door.

"What's happening?" I rush to Sawyer but he doesn't say a word.

I open the door and there are firefighters putting a body on a gurney.

"What's happening?" I question. But everyone is panicking and don't answer. There are two gurneys and I walk over to one and uncover it.

"Mom?" I whisper. There's a large bloody 'x' on her cheek.

"Sawyer! What do I do?" I frantically panic.

"Mom! I love you! You hear me!" I shout into her ear, shaking her. "Wake up! Mom! Wake up!" The tears flowing from my eyes blur everything that's happening around me. "Mom! Wake up!" I scream.

"Opal, they're gone." Sawyer pulls me away from them and I sob into his chest. I feel cold and then black, nothing.

"You did that on purpose." I ugly sob into Sawyers chest. His arms wrap around me, he doesn't say anything. "Out of all the memories and times, you chose that one to go back to." I sob shout, punching his chest. He holds on tighter.

"You needed to know." He soothingly whispers into my ear.

"No I didn't." My voice is barley above a whisper.

I stand there sobbing into his chest for at least five minuets. I look up at Sawyer, all my tears gone. My nose running with snot, my eyes probably blood shot red.

I breath out and quietly walk away from him.

"Opal.." Sawyer whispers, he softly catches my fingertips.

"Leave me alone." I croak and walk away from him.

I just need to be alone.

———————————————————————
Sorry for a late update!!!!!!! 😭❤️

I don't know why, BUT I kind of picture him as Sawyer 🤷🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️🧐

Pokračovat ve čtení

Mohlo by se ti líbit

325K 4.1K 200
Just a bunch of Jiara oneshots. Be sure to check out part 2!
299K 9K 36
One girl, three guys, and a mountain full of secrets.
18.2K 1K 65
He's the nightmare, but she's his fantasy.