ELUSIVE (Book 2)

By hidden_1nk

Sawyer & Opal, how it starts. More

CHAPTER 1
CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER 4
CHAPTER 5
CHAPTER 6
CHAPTER 7
CHAPTER 8
CHAPTER 9
CHAPTER 10
CHAPTER 11
CHAPTER 12
CHAPTER 13
CHAPTER 14
CHAPTER 15
CHAPTER 16
CHAPTER 17
CHAPTER 18
CHAPTER 19
CHAPTER 20
CHAPTER 21
CHAPTER 22
CHAPTER 23
CHAPTER 24
CHAPTER 25
CHAPTER 26
CHAPTER 27
CHAPTER 28
CHAPTER 29
CHAPTER 30
CHAPTER 31
CHAPTER 32
CHAPTER 33
CHAPTER 34
CHAPTER 35
CHAPTER 36
CHAPTER 37
CHAPTER 38
CHAPTER 39
CHAPTER 40
CHAPTER 41
CHAPTER 42
CHAPTER 43
CHAPTER 44
CHAPTER 45
CHAPTER 46
CHAPTER 47
CHAPTER 48
CHAPTER 49
CHAPTER 50
CHAPTER 51
CHAPTER: 52
CHAPTER 53
CHAPTER 54
CHAPTER 55
CHAPTER 56
CHAPTER 57
CHAPTER 58
CHAPTER 59
CHAPTER 60
CHAPTER 61
CHAPTER 62
CHAPTER 63
CHAPTER 64
CHAPTER 65
CHAPTER 66
CHAPTER 67
CHAPTER 68
CHAPTER 69
CHAPTER 70
CHAPTER 71
CHAPTER 72
CHAPTER 73
CHAPTER 74
CHAPTER 75
CHAPTER 76
CHAPTER 77
CHAPTER 78
CHAPTER 79
CHAPTER 80
CHAPTER 81
CHAPTER 82
CHAPTER 83
CHAPTER 84
CHAPTER 85
CHAPTER 86
CHAPTER 87
CHAPTER 88
CHAPTER 89
CHAPTER 90
CHAPTER 91
CHAPTER 92
CHAPTER 93
CHAPTER 94
CHAPTER 95

CHAPTER 3

314 35 44
By hidden_1nk

The grocery store isn't as far as I expected it would be. It takes me five minutes and I'm inside the fresh market, thankful they're blasting air conditioning.

I grab the few items my uncle needs and walk down a few aisles and spot a large refrigerator with tons of different ice cream flavors.

I stand there staring at all the different flavors, trying to pick one. I'm overwhelmed with the amount of different ones and see mint chocolate chip. My eyes light up and I try reaching for it, but since it's the last one it's the furthest away.

"Why do you have to be so far away?" I whisper to myself and go on my tip toes to reach for it. I stretch as far as I can and my finger tips touch the top of the pint of ice cream. "Yes." I breath out and try getting it closer to me. It falls to its side and rolls over to me. I can finally reach it, and right as I'm about to grab it, someone comes behind me and takes it away.

I swiftly turn around, confused as hell and find a guy a bit taller than me standing holding the ice cream. 

My ice cream....

"Thanks." He says with a smile and starts walking away.

I will fight him.

"Ummm, that's mine." I tell him and he stops to look at me. He's tall and lanky, dark brown glossy hair, that almost reaches his eyes. His hair looks a little wet. He's wearing a surfing suit, that explains his hair. His hazel eyes look from the ice cream and then to me, and he smiles to himself.

"It's in my hand. Therefore it's mine." He says and I'm stumped.

"You have to be kidding me?" I exasperate, and close the refrigerator door. "You saw me struggling." I continue and he looks around, not paying attention to me.

"I did say thank you." He says with a smile and starts walking off. When his back is to me I charge after him and try to yank the ice cream from his hand.

"Woah, chill." He says and pushes me out of the way.

"I'm not going to chill, when you have my ice cream in your hand." I seethe and push him to the ground.

"What the hell!" He shouts and pulls me off of him.

"That's my ice cream!" I shout and once again jump at him.

"Sir, is this your daughter?" The officer asks as my uncle rushes over to where we're standing. Apparently I made such a scene that the store clerk called the cops and since it's such a small town they got here within seconds.

My uncle looks calm but I know he's fuming. He's in his lab coat so I interrupted his work, even worse.

"She's my niece. I'll take it from here." He says and pulls me from the hold of the officer. But the officer shakes his head, and holds me tighter.

"It all makes sense now." Surfer guy mumbles when he sees my uncle. I turn to him and make a move as if I'm going to pounce at him and he retreats back.

"Daniel, your parents are on their way. Sit tight." He turns to the guy and that shuts up surfer dude.

Daniel, so that's the ice cream thief.

Daniel leans against the cop car, amusement playing at his eyes.

"She almost killed me..." he complains and the officer rolls his eyes.

The officer turns to look at my uncle, his hold still tight around my wrists. "As for her, if she's caught disturbing or fighting anyone again, she will be cited." He says and my uncle nods in agreement.

I don't feel any resentment from Whit on our walk home, but the silence is killing me.

"I am sorry." I whisper. I don't know what came over me. It's just ice cream. But the fact is, I worked hard to get that pint and someone else just swooped in and took it from me.

"Are you really? It sounds more like you're just saying it to please me." He says and chuckles and I nervously laugh.

He's right. I don't mean what I said. I'm not sorry, and if I had to do it again, I probably will.

"No, I'm not sorry for what happened. But I am sorry you had to get me." I tell him and he nods.

"Looks like we will be joining the Pierce family for dinner." He says and my head snaps to him.

No.

No.

No.

"Can't we just order pizza? I'll pay." I plead and my uncle laughs.

"Alright." He continues laughing and pulls me into a side hug. He smells strongly of cologne and not the good kind. I smile, glad he's agreeing.

"Don't think you're getting away with this." He says and I huff out annoyed.

So close.

Nancy is outside tending to the plants, as we make our way into the yard.

"Good evening Nancy," Whit waves and Nancy looks up at the both of us and shoos us away.

My uncles smile never falters,

"What a lovely woman." My uncle mutters, when we walk up the entrance stairs and I laugh.

"What are your goals for this summer?" My uncle asks and I grab a slice of pizza.

"Don't have any. Mostly read and draw..." I say with a shrug and he takes a bite of his pizza.

"Anything you want to learn?" He asks, still curious.

"Ummm, Braille..." I tell him without thinking.

He stops eating his pizza and gets up and walks out of the dining room. I watch as he disappears and I stop eating.

"Ah, here it is." I hear him in the other room and I take one last bite of my pizza and walk over to where he is. I watch as he holds a book in his hands and slides his fingers across the spine of the book.

"It's Procedure for Writing Words, Music, and Plainsong in Dots, by Louis Braille." He says in admiration. The book is an old navy blue, you can tell it's a very old book, but in good condition. "He's the creator of Braille, invented it when he was twenty." My uncle says with enthusiasm and hands me the book. "Only six copies are known to exist." His eyebrows flicker up and he smiles down at me.

"Wow." I say, still chewing my pizza.

"I expect you to be an expert by the end of your time here." He says and walks off. I open the book.....challenge accepted.

"I found this today..." Whit says and takes a book out from the entry drawer. I look up and see he's holding the ghost book Jospeh gave me. My eyes widen, and I try to keep my composure.

"Oh Joseph gave it to me. Said it was a good book." I quickly lie and my uncle looks down at the cover of the book.

"Hmm." He says and rubs his chin. "If I remember correctly, I gave this book to that Sawyer boy." He says and I can almost detect a little distaste when he says Sawyer.

My eyebrows scrunch, "I don't..." I start to say and my uncle opens the front cover.

"Ahah, just as I suspected." He says and he turns the book over for me to see. In bold black lettering is Sayers name. I walk over to him and grab the book from his hand. My finger runs through the name and I shake my head. Sawyer probably gave it to Jospeh who then gave it to me.

"I know it's none of my business, but stay away from that boy." His tone is serious and I gulp.

"Joseph gave me the book." I counter. My curiosity as to why I need to stay away from him grows. He doesn't need to worry, Sawyer creeps me out.

"Be careful, I don't trust that boy." He says and he walks out of the room.

I walk back into the dining room and grab one last pizza. I make my way to my room and start memorizing the alphabet. Drawing each dot, decorating them as I go. Easier for me to memorize.

When it's almost close to the time I'm supposed to meet Jospeh, I make sure that the coast is clear. I see the light on in the basement and slowly walk to the front door.

I walk a few ways into the woods, the tree house shouldn't be too far.

When I find a large tree, and a house that looks like someone can actually live there, I breath out relieved.

I see a large shadow forming over me, before I hear the sound of crunching leaves. I brace myself, calming my imagination of creepy monsters and ghosts and turn around and look up into.... Sawyers face.

"You alway this uneasy?" Sawyer asks.

"I just didn't hear you coming..." I tell him and look behind him, waiting for Joseph. "I'm waiting for someone, if you could leave." I tell him and move around him and wait.

When he stays quiet and there's no sign that he's going to budge and listen, I study his face. I roll my eyes,

"It was you wasn't it? Did you have Joseph send that book with the letter?" I question.

"Jospeh didn't send anything. I knew if I put his name you'd come." He says and glances at his phone. "And you're early." He says with a smirk. "Really? Joseph?" Sawyer mocks, a smirk plastered on his lips. My uncle was right, that was Sawyers book. Ugh.

I purse my lips and walk further from Sawyer, "I'm still going to wait for Jospeh." I tell him. I know he's not coming, but Sawyer has annoyed me.

"So, did you look it up?" Sawyer questions. I roll my eyes, so that's why he brought me here, to talk about the rumor.

I watch as he leans against a tree, trying to seem uninterested.

"So, did you?" He questions again.

"You mean about the murders?" I question.

"So you did..." he smiles, a devilish smile. He runs his fingers through his curls and I wait for him to continue. He walks around me, watching my every move and I stay as still as possible, my eyes just following his move.

I take a deep breath,

"I'm not really into this whole mysterious vibe you're giving off. And if I wasn't so scared, I'd say you're acting like a murderer now."

His eyes narrow into slits, "Me, murder you?" He questions.

"Seems like you're more into murder than the actual person you're blaming." I counter.

"Look if you want me to be apart of your game 'Murder mystery mansion' then sure I'll play along. But I don't want to be the girl who is left out." I continue.

"Murder mystery mansion..." He says slowly.

"I mean, maybe it would be cool if I were a detective, helping you solve this case." I continue.

"That's not..." He starts, but I cut him off.

"So I don't have to play the role of a detective? Thank God. But thank you for taking the time and inviting me to your friend groups game. I feel so welcomed, and I'll thank the rest of your friends for how sweet they are." I fake smile at him, Sawyer realizes I'm egging him on and his face darkens.

"I'm not inviting you to any shit game, Maeve." He says and my smile drops. How does he know that name?

His smirk returns and I compose myself.

"Really? Then why would you have me look up my uncle? And have me look at pictures of dead bodies, Sawyer? Is this your way of having fun? If you bait me into the woods ever again..."

Sawyer starts to laugh, "Lure you? Don't flatter yourself. Just needed to talk to you. I wanted you to help me find something..." He trails off.

"More like scare. And if you do it again, my uncle is the first person I'm going to." I try standing my ground, but everything I'm saying makes me sound like an elementary child. I'm going to run to my uncle because a boy is bullying me. I'm the definition of tattle-tail.

I watch as Sawyers eyes harden at the bringing up of my uncle. His green eyes shooting sharp daggers. His face contorts into rage and he steps toward me and I immediately stumble backwards. I start running back home, but he grabs me, his fingers securely  holding my arm. He yanks me back toward him so hard I fall to the ground, my butt hitting the rocks and I yelp out in pain. He lets go and I stay sitting, holding my arm. I can't believe he just did that, I feel him bend down to my level but I quickly push myself off of the ground.

He tries reaching for me again, "I didn't mean..." he starts apologizing, and tries to steady me from falling back down, but I move away before he can touch me again. I stand staring at Sawyer, shock all over my face.

"Hey, Sawyer. We're all leaving...." I hear a familiar voice, but Sawyer is towering over me. I watch as Sawyer rolls his eyes. "Bro, What are you..." the guy stops talking and Sawyer turns around and I move next to Sawyer. My eyes widen,

"You!" We both shout in unison and Sawyer snaps his head to me, confusion crossing his features. I guess karma visited me early.

"This is that crazy ass girl I was talking about. She freaking attacked me." Daniel complains. I look over to Sawyer and Daniel. "Did she attack you too?" He asks as he looks between us.

I stand there and stagger away from both of them, I don't hear Sawyer  and I don't even turn to him when he shouts for my name. I just run and don't stop until I'm in my room. Door locked and windows shut.

——————————————————————-
Heya 👋🏻

How is everyone?? Is it spring break yet?? 😭

Just want to say a quick HAPPY BIRTHDAY tooooooooo EnchantedRoseBites  I hope you had an awesome day!!!!! And ate lots of cake and did some shopping!!!! ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ 🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3M 27.1K 123
Basically what the title says!
882 14 16
Meet Kianna Morris, a regular teen living middle of crescent city and everything is good in her life. She has a perfect grades, a loving family, the...
761K 26.5K 74
"𝐘𝐨𝐮'𝐫𝐞 𝐭𝐨𝐨 𝐩𝐮𝐫𝐞 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐥𝐝 𝐈 𝐥𝐢𝐯𝐞 𝐢𝐧, 𝐌𝐲 𝐝𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐭." ╰┈➤ 〔 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡 𝐚𝐧 𝐢𝐧𝐧𝐨𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐛𝐚𝐤𝐞𝐫...
886K 5.5K 102
This book contains my favorite collection of novels.