A Guardian's Fate (Book #2)

Par heytheregisela

(BOOK #2 in the Secrets of Aristol series.) It's almost been three months since Elouise's birthday. Although... Plus

A GUARDIAN'S FATE
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Fifty-Nine
Chapter Sixty
A Savior's Worth

Chapter Forty-Eight

1.4K 179 34
Par heytheregisela

Eldon headed down the stairs to meet the others for breakfast when he came across Udolf speaking to an older woman. Her blonde hair—or was it silver?—was tied up in a bun without a single strand out of place. The scowl on her face seemed permanent, which had probably caused all the deep lines around her mouth.

She noticed Eldon getting closer and quit talking mid-sentence. Udolf turned, and Eldon was surprised to see him look relieved by his presence.

Udolf looked forward again and said, "Pardon me, but I have guests to attend to now."

The woman rolled her eyes. "Do not use that pathetic tone with me, Udolf. You may have fooled most of our population. Not me, though. To me, you are still that naïve child my brother failed to raise."

Udolf chuckled. "And now he's dead and I'm in charge. Therefore, if you want to ensure your stay in the city, I'd watch your tongue."

"I cannot fathom what you think you are accomplishing by welcoming them"—she nodded toward Eldon—"into your home. I only hope you are aware of the consequences. Those who were already skeptical about you are now furious that Her Highness is here. You should be ashamed of yourself."

Udolf stepped back and spread his arms out. In a tone that was sarcastically dramatic, he shouted, "If it delights you enough to leave, then consider me ashamed!" Then he dropped onto one knee and hung his head. "I am a wretched fool for being so kind to my neighbors!"

Eldon furrowed his eyebrows, though he couldn't help but snicker. He heard footsteps behind him and looked to see that Ivy was now watching this display—just as confused and amused as him.

With that, his aunt groaned and stomped out of there, her sharp, bony knuckles white from how tight her fists were.

Udolf watched her leave. Then he looked up at Eldon and Ivy and grinned as he rose to his feet. "She wouldn't have left otherwise."

Ivy giggled and clapped her hands. "Well played!"

"Come along. Let us eat. I don't know about the two of you, but I'm famished."

Ivy reached Eldon on the steps. She smiled at Udolf. "Oh, we will, but—"

"Eldon?" Elouise called from the top of the stairs.

Eldon and Udolf glanced up while Ivy turned around. And Eldon couldn't stop himself from gawking.

The skirt of Elouise's mint-green airy gown was covered with golden floral designs, and the bubble sleeves were off her shoulders. Her wavy hair had been kept down again. She brushed some of it behind her right ear, exposing a hidden braid underneath that had a gold ribbon intertwined into it.

Eldon's throat went dry. He swallowed painfully and blinked hard. That's when he noticed Udolf's also staring at her. His gaze was softer than Eldon had ever thought possible for him. And Eldon bit his tongue to resist glaring at him.

"Good morning, Elouise!" Ivy sang.

Elouise beamed at her. "Good morning, Ivy." She then made her way down the steps and stopped in front of Eldon.

He watched her open and close her mouth a few times and watched the crease between her brows deepen.

"Your Highness," Udolf spoke first.

Elouise widened her eyes and faced him.

"Shall I escort you to the dining hall?" he offered her his arm.

Eldon glanced at Elouise, hoping she'd say no. Hoping she'd tell Udolf she wanted to stay here instead.

Maybe she wanted to be kind to him in his home because she moved closer and accepted his arm. He quickly led her away, and she didn't look back.

Ivy sighed, reminding Eldon of her presence. "Before we go," she said, "I wanted to talk about last night..."

Eldon turned to her and rubbed his neck, wishing he could forget most of last night. Except for the dragon. He wouldn't pretend that hadn't been his favorite moment.

"Yeah," he responded. "I'm sorry 'bout gettin' mad at Henry like that."

"And I'm sorry for raising my voice. I can be overprotective of Henry. He's older, I know. But aside from my mother, he's the closest family I have. No matter what, I'd do anything to take care of my family."

"I get it."

"I also understand why you were upset. We really didn't know that stuff about Haven, though. I thought she was kind of odd, but she wasn't rude either, so I let her slip my mind."

Eldon wasn't in the mood for this discussing this right now. So, he just held out his arm for her to take and mentioned that he was also famished. She accepted, grinning at him.

They entered the dining area together, and Eldon froze when he found Elouise and Henry sitting next to each other. Even though he did feel sorry, he still felt weird facing Henry. So, he let Ivy take the empty seat next to her cousin.

After they were given their food, Eldon didn't look up from his plate. Thankfully, nobody pointed him out or mentioned something he had done. The conversation stayed light and between Udolf and King Philip.

Udolf finished first and dismissed himself. But he promised to be back soon. He wanted everyone to join him for a visit to the beach today. This excited Ivy who gasped and shook Henry.

"We're going to the beach," she squealed.

Eldon raised his head to smile at her, and he froze when he locked eyes with Henry. Henry nodded at him, which he halfheartedly returned.

Like yesterday, servants came rushing in to clean up. Eldon took the opportunity to slip out of there. Although, he barely managed passing Udolf's faux throne before Elouise called out to him to wait. His muscles tensed, but he obliged and listened to her run up to him. When he felt her presence right behind him, he turned around.

"Good mornin'," he mumbled.

Then she smiled at him.

And he sighed.

She was so beautiful. It almost felt unfair.

"Did you manage to get any sleep?" she asked, snapping him out of his daze.

Sleep? How could he have gotten any sleep after everything that had happened? By the time he returned to the manor, the sun had started peeking over the horizon. He lied down for an hour before just getting up and changing into something different.

Eldon shook his head. "No."

"It seems none of us did."

"Better luck tonight, I guess."

Silence fell over them as Elouise glanced around. Eldon did so, too, assuming she wanted to check that they were alone.

Satisfied, Elouise met his eyes. "We need to talk," she said, a rosy shade beginning to color her cheeks.

Eldon had a bad feeling about this. "If it's 'bout last night..."

"No. No, it's not." Then that rosiness darkened, and she looked away. "Well, it partly is." Of course.

Elouise stared off for a moment. Meanwhile, Eldon mentally prepared answers for anything she might say. Much of it would be what he'd told Ivy already. Maybe he would add how horrible he felt about it and how he believed Henry hadn't meant any harm. He believed that now.

He just couldn't get this image of Haven manipulating Henry out of his head. She did it to get to him and Elouise. She used Henry—gentle, gentle Henry—to get to them.

"Eldon," Elouise finally began, "we promised not to withhold anything from each other anymore. Therefore, I-I know you are not going to like this, and I do not want you to think we're doing this to hurt you, but I have to tell you anyway."

Eldon swallowed hard. He didn't think he wanted to know what she meant by that. She wouldn't give him much of a choice, though, would she?

"Henry... H-Henry and I have... we have agreed to speak to Haven."

Of. Course.

Numbness best described how he felt. Like the way his bare hands got whenever he spent too long in the brutal days of gelid.

Elouise remained quiet. He needed to say something here. All he could do was nod to let her know he'd heard her, though. He wanted her to go on.

There had to be more to it. She wouldn't just agree to speak with the person he hated without good reason. At least, he hoped she wouldn't.

Her fingers grazed his, tempting him into lacing them together and welcome the bliss of her palm against his. He wanted that right now—more than anything. Yet he resisted and closed his hand.

He wanted to hear her explanation first.

And she gave it to him. "Henry came to me earlier. He informed me that Haven does work for"—she glanced around a second time, then continued quieter. "That she works for Udolf, and you know what that could mean."

Indeed, he did.

And, again, he nodded. But this wasn't the first time Elouise had suggested reaching out to Haven for answers about the attackers.

"I still don't think she would wanna help," he grumbled.

"I would have to disagree. From what Henry has told me, it is quite evident she cares for him."

Eldon snorted and rolled his eyes. Haven caring about someone other than herself? Yeah, that almost sounded like a jest.

Elouise hardened her expression. "Eldon, it's true. And if you think about it, this could be very beneficial to us. If Henry succeeds in convincing her, we can truly understand what we are fighting against and move forward from there." She put her hands behind her back and took a deep, slightly trembling, breath.

"Besides, the faster we get our answers, the faster this will all be over, a-and... and then you can be free from this."

Eldon cocked his head, squinting at her. "What? Whataya mean?"

"Well, you- y-you can go back home..."

And that numbness cracked, welcoming a swelling inside his chest and a tightness in his throat.

Go back home?

Home?

What did that even mean...

"I gotta go," Eldon suddenly said, turning on his heel.

"But Eldon—"

"Do what you gotta do, Ell"—Eldon frowned and shook his head. "Just do what you gotta do." He made his way to the stairs where he hovered, knowing he wanted to say more to her but unsure what words would be fitting.

When he thought he had something, he looked over at her and noticed Henry and Fayre approaching. Elouise acknowledged them quickly before facing him again. He could see the eagerness in her eyes. She waited for him to say more. Maybe she needed him to.

Eldon sighed. "I'll see you when it's time to head out."

And it took every bit of his waning strength to walk away.

---
The carriage ride to the beach felt like absolute torment.

Because Eldon couldn't remember any other moment in his life where he felt as bored as he did during that ride. He sat next to Sir Aaron and across from the king and Berney.

Berney complained about everything. The bumpiness of the ride giving him a headache, the stench of saltwater increasing (well they were going to a beach), and the "disgusting" aftertaste from what they'd eaten at breakfast. Even a loose thread on King Philip's gold and black striped sleeve bothered Berney.

Eldon wondered how King Philip could stand being around Berney so much. But even he became irritated after a while and started to talk over Berney.

Luckily for all of them, their ride came to an end before Philip could reach his boiling point.

Outside of the carriage, Aaron whispered to him, "I say we lead Berney out as far as we possibly can. Then we make a run for it and convince everyone to leave before Berney can find his way back."

Eldon just chuckled. He wished they could do that.

His amusement faded once he spotted Elouise, Ivy, and Henry walking toward them, arms linked and laughing together. He moved his hand down to his pocket and felt for the brooch inside.

"Are you feeling alright, Eldon?" Aaron asked.

Eldon nodded. "Yeah, 'course," he lied. Aaron didn't keep questioning him.

The trio halted in front of them. Henry and Elouise looked elsewhere while Ivy stared directly at him. When he met her eyes, she gave him a small smile.

Udolf exited the last carriage and joined him with Merek in tow.

"Is everyone here and ready?" he questioned as he sauntered past the group.

Everyone nodded. Fayre and Gidget had stayed back at the manor. Eldon now wished he would've, too. He was considered part of security with Aaron and couldn't exactly avoid going to things like this.

"Despite it being fairly close," said Udolf, "I have not been here in years." He turned around, facing the ocean. "I loved riding my favorite steed along the shore. Unfortunately, he has long since passed. But"—he signaled to his coachmen who rushed to untie the horses from the carriages—"I ensured that we brought the best horses I own for that specific reason."

His eyes darted to Elouise. "Your Highness, have you ever ridden before?"

"No," King Philip sternly answered, prompting everyone to look at him. "She is not interested."

Eldon waited for Elouise's reaction. Much to his surprise, she had a playful grin on her face.

"My father is merely afraid that my short height will restrain me," she explained to Udolf.

Ivy covered her mouth as she giggled and glanced over at King Philip. "But, Your Majesty, I am just a few inches taller than Her Highness and I am an excellent rider."

"Are you, really?" asked Udolf. He snapped his fingers once, and Merek quickly brought forward the Gypsy Vanner and saddled it.

Udolf gestured toward it with his arm, saying to Ivy, "Show us, then."

"Sure!" Ivy ran up to the stallion's side and accepted Udolf's assistance to get up onto it.

Eldon side-eyed Henry, seeing him purse his lips and furrow his eyebrows like he tried hard not to interfere.

"If you wish, Elouise," King Philip began, keeping his voice low, "I'll allow you to ride a horse with me."

Eldon peeked at Elouise again. She beamed at her father, satisfied with that suggestion. And once everyone who wanted to ride was settled, Eldon slipped away, uninterested to stand aside with Aaron and watch the royals have their fun.

The wind started becoming stronger, causing his hair to flap fiercely against his head and get in his eyes despite his many efforts to brush it away. Maybe he needed another haircut. A few knights were pretty good at trimming hair and offered any of the soldiers and trainees cuts for free, but Eldon felt weird asking them. He preferred having Mary cut his hair, especially since she would always hum. Her singing always helped to ease his mind from whatever troubled him.

He kind of missed that.

Maybe he wouldn't mind going back to that as soon as this destiny ended.

Eldon came to a stop near the end of the shore where boulders of various sizes were bunched together. He sat on the one toward the middle that was tall enough to make his feet hover above ground.

He noticed the blurry figure appear from the corner of his eye, and he knew it was Henry without turning his head. Henry took the empty spot on his right—a boulder a bit lower than his.

Neither of them looked at each other or said anything for a short while. They just sat there, enjoying the views of the small waves creeping up onto the sand, then retracting back into the sea.

Eventually, Henry let out a deep breath and said, "Elouise informed me that she told you what we plan to do."

Eldon mindlessly kicked a pebble, refusing to face Henry. "Yeah."

"If you want to be mad, be mad at me. Not her."

"I ain't mad. Just..." Eldon kicked at another rock with much more force this time and watched it splash into the water. He finally met Henry's soft blue-green eyes and shrugged. "I dunno."

"You're disappointed, then," Henry concluded for him.

"Yeah, sounds 'bout right."

"I, wholeheartedly, believe that what Haven did to you is unforgivable. And I'm not going to speak to her because I want to. She knows things that could help Elouise and we need to know what those things are. But trust me, Eldon, we won't treat her kindly."

Eldon rolled his eyes and stood up, doubting Henry could purposefully be cruel to anyone. "I don't like it, but I ain't gonna stop you. For yer sake, I hope yer right 'bout it bein' helpful. I dunno how Haven was with you, but I can't believe she'd wanna answer any questions 'bout her boss."

"Perhaps you are right," Henry considered, staring up at him thoughtfully. "But I promise you that once we are finished speaking with her, I will never reach out to her again."

Eldon moved carefully around and paused right where the water reached. He crouched down, examining the pile of seashells embedded in-between the rocks.

"It's peaceful out here," Henry mused. "Nothing like the eastern beaches that are usually lively and full of people. I went there a few times with Elouise when we were children. The crowds made it difficult for us to play sometimes. But you must see it for yourself someday."

Eldon went to pick up a colorful shell. But he stopped when he thought he heard mischievous laughter behind him. Pressing his brows together, he looked over his shoulder and up at the copse of trees atop the hill. Henry was oblivious to this since he was still talking, detailing something about his visit to Estria.

Eldon got to his feet, never taking his eyes off the hill as he neared the boulders again.

Finally, Henry asked, "Wait, where are you going?"

Eldon stopped and stayed silent, so Henry persisted.

"Eldon? Is something wrong—"

"Shh," Eldon responded, raising a finger at him. He stopped and listened closely. The crashing of the waves made it difficult to concentrate and determine whether the rustling within the trees was the result of the wind... or something lurking.

He squinted his eyes, his fingers twitching, anxious to reach down for his sword. But he didn't unsheathe it just yet. "Get behind me, Henry."

Henry raised his brows. "Eldon, I'm sure it's nothing."

"Henry, c'mon."

Clearly unconvinced, Henry walked slowly toward him. Eldon's patience faltered, and he was about ready to demand that Henry move faster when the horrid smell reached his nostrils and the trollbie leaped out from behind the rocks.

Eldon just caught a glimpse of its wickedly crooked grin before rushing forward while Henry glanced back and gasped, freezing in fear. Forgetting his sword altogether, Eldon instinctively yanked Henry back by his sleeve and jumped in front of him. He then raised his arm and turned his head away, squeezing his eyes shut and bracing himself for the attack.

But all Eldon heard was the hitch of Henry's breath and the high-pitched grunt from the trollbie.

And, strangest of all, he stayed untouched.

Eldon dared himself to look.

And every muscle in his body froze.

Surrounding him and Henry was an orb—a barrier—of golden light. Golden magic.

Like his healing magic.

Like Elouise's light magic.

And his first steady thought was that she had done this... that she'd followed them and panicked, accidentally revealing another ability of hers to save them from the trollbie. But a quick glance around showed no sign of her anywhere.

Eldon, with his arm still raised in front of him, moved his attention to the creature on the sand—stunned and twitching.

"W-what..." Henry sputtered behind him. "What is this?"

Eldon slowly lowered his arm and sharply sucked in his breath and held it as he watched the magical shield fade with his movement.

No, it hadn't been Elouise.

It'd been him.

As soon as the magic disappeared, Eldon gulped and turned to Henry. The naturally tan color of his skin had paled while he stood there and gawked at Eldon.

"You and... and Elouise"—Henry was interrupted by the devilish giggling from the trollbie.

Eldon whirled back around. The trollbie started to get up, but Eldon pulled his sword out and swiftly swung it down, beheading the filthy creature.

He sheathed his weapon and just stayed there, his attention focused on the dead trollbie and the blood spilling out from its neck.

"M-Magic," Henry uttered, making the hairs on Eldon's arms stick up. "That's what it is, isn't it? You and Elouise..."

Eldon exhaled slowly and pinched the bridge of his nose. But he knew he couldn't lie or try to get out of this anymore. Even if he couldn't explain what exactly he'd done, he had to tell the truth. Dropping his hand, he peered at Henry over his shoulder, hoping this wouldn't turn out to be his worst mistake.

"Yes."

Continuer la Lecture

Vous Aimerez Aussi

4.4K 249 20
~EDITING~ Book 1 of the Princess Series Claire was a regular werewolf, well she was the best fighter in the pack other than the alpha. She had beat...
66.8K 6K 67
Book 2 #19 in Fantasy #8 in action-packed #27 in dark magic #28 in fantasy-adventure Everything Celestia Armedes has ever come to know is crumbling t...
62.8K 3.8K 32
I am a ghost. A killer. A savior. A guardian. I am the vampyre prince. They think I was murdered by my uncle, the king - but I've been waiting, plot...
606K 22.6K 38
[COMPLETED] Arianna has been bullied most of her teen life. Her family are the only reason that she still remains strong. She has a heart of pure go...